By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2024 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

Why does Japan need you to approve of the games they buy ?

Around the Network
TORicOPY said:

Why does Japan need you to approve of the games they buy ?

Did i say they need my approval ? Are you Phenomajp13 little brother?

I don't know who are talking about.

The issue with Japan is that since the Asia-crisis in the 90', Japan has grown only little economically as well as the increase in salaries. On top of it, Japan's society is becoming old and is shrinking. These are all factors that affect the spending of money into none-life-essential things and even for spending on leisure, there are tiers and video games are not in the top tier there. On top of it, flats and rooms are very small in Japan contributing to Japanese prefering handhelds over stationary consoles. On top of it, if the economic situation for a big percentage of Japanese is tough, they either only game on their mobile phone/tablet or PC/notebook they already use for work or spending $300/350 for a Switch (Oled) or $200 for a Switch Lite (actually less, as prices in Japan are lower than in the US) as it's just more feasible for them than spending $500 for a PS5 (I leave Xbox Series S out here as JAPANESE DON'T WANT MICROSOFT CONOSOLES). On top of it, as money is sparse, many Japanese gamers probably ending up with mainly buying cheap independent games. For that, they don't need a powerful PS5.

Last edited by Fight-the-Streets - on 19 July 2024

IcaroRibeiro said:
Phenomajp13 said:

Without the PC data and digital console sales, that is impossible to determine. Hogwarts Legacy could have done that last year but this is impossible to determine because of the lack of data. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand, no data means no conclusive evidence.

There are data, it's just rare and scattered 

Those are the most recent article I've found

https://www.serkantoto.com/2022/11/06/japan-pc-gaming-market/

https://www.serkantoto.com/2023/08/30/japan-gaming-market-size/

Console gaming market: 596.1 billion yen (hardware 209.8 billion yen + software 389.3 billion yen)

PC gaming market: 189.2 billion yen

Userbase of PC gamers is around 16 million as of 2021, with 4.5 million using exclusively PCs to game 

The best selling reported third party game in Japan was Elden Ring. It sold 1 million (PC+Xbox+Sony, physical and digital included). Around 500k were from physical boxed PS4/PS5 sales, I believe a 650-750k from PS platforms digital included are a fair estimation⁸

For big-budgeted AAA third parties Playstation still likely the platform they are still selling the best. Problem is even on Playstation they are selling poorly, I think the situation is overall just hopeless 

Where are you getting the rest of that data from? I see the console and PC market sizes in those links but not PC userbase figures or Elden Ring being the highest selling third party game.

Around the Network
Fight-the-Streets said:

The issue with Japan is that since the Asia-crisis in the 90', Japan has grown only little economically as well as the increase in salaries. On top of it, Japan's society is becoming old and is shrinking. These are all factors that affect the spending of money into none-life-essential things and even for spending on leisure, there are tiers and video games are not in the top tier there. On top of it, flats and rooms are very small in Japan contributing to Japanese prefering handhelds over stationary consoles. On top of it, if the economic situation for a big percentage of Japanese is tough, they either only game on their mobile phone/tablet or PC/notebook they already use for work or spending $300/350 for a Switch (Oled) or $200 for a Switch Lite (actually less, as prices in Japan are lower than in the US) as it's just more feasible for them than spending $500 for a PS5 (I leave Xbox Series S out here as JAPANESE DON'T WANT MICROSOFT CONOSOLES). On top of it, as money is sparse, many Japanese gamers probably ending up with mainly buing cheap independent games. For that, they don't need a powerful PS5.

I agree with all your points except the space, it's a myth. Average apartment size in Tokyo is 69 m2, it's not huge but looks the same size as the apartments in Brazil. Needless to say not everyone lives in big cities like Tokyo where space is more expensive

I believe the preference from handhelds are less about size space and more about using videogames outside home, when commuting or when having breaks in school and work. It's also explained why big cinematic games don't match their playstyle, they need games to be played mostly in shorter bursts and leave without major drawbacks of their next playtime. This heavily imply mobile/portable games are their choice

There is also a social component. In Japan you play what your friends play. The reason of why MH only exploded in Japan when released on handhels is less about gaming quality and more about they offering local multi-player with PSP to "push" groups of friends to play together

Having less money to spend on gaming is certainly an issue as well, even more so among kids and teenagers and Switch is half of the price of PS5 (29k yen vs 67k yen) and you also needs a TV to play the games

Jeez Zelda was banned. Guess it's time to put this thread to rest