By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you use PS+ essentials/premium catalogue? (Poll)

Do you have PS+ essentials/ premium

Yes. I subscribe and love it 12 48.00%

Yes. Barely use it. 3 12.00%

No. Tried and hate it. 3 12.00%

No. Looks like a rip off. 5 20.00%

Other. 2 8.00%

Total:25

I was curious to see are people buying into this, I got it two months ago and I'm still finding cool stuff to play. Mostly lesser known stuff as I've bought all the major releases already. There are some big hitters on the service that continue to come, like all the Assasins creed games, Tales of Arise, Bloodborne to name a few and more recently Red dead redemption 2 and Monster Hunter Rise this past month. It's quite an impressive service if a little over priced. I'm keeping it for at least another month. I feel it's only double PS+ basic so why not have a few hundred games to have at the ready. It's also helping me save money as I'm less inclined to buy games now for the most part. 

Thoughts and how long have you been a subscriber? Do you feel you are getting your moneys worth or are you fine with the basic PS+?

Around the Network

No, haven't tried it, doesn't look like a rip off, just don't have the time to play more games.

I don't have time to try out the PS+ basic free games but still subscribed for multiplayer (which my kid uses)

Yes, because multiplayer.

Very few times ive played the free games tho. I dont really have the time to play games outside my backlog.

Jpcc86 said:

Yes, because multiplayer.

Very few times ive played the free games tho. I dont really have the time to play games outside my backlog.

I just consider this to be my backlog and I pull from it when I wanna try something new or get bored with what I'm playing. I made a folder called the waiting room and pump it full of stuff from the PS catalogue, then take out 3 game and rotate them. One racing/sports game. One indie/arcade am game and one main chunky game like an RPG or something. This way, I don't get burn out, I don't have this insurmountable backlog I feel is too overwhelming and I'm saving money by not buying games unless they are deeply discounted. 

Just imagine the catalogue to be games you bought and you'd thought you'd get around to, so maybe today you'll take one off the shelf and have a go. 

SvennoJ said:

No, haven't tried it, doesn't look like a rip off, just don't have the time to play more games.

I don't have time to try out the PS+ basic free games but still subscribed for multiplayer (which my kid uses)

You can always make time for games, it's your mindset that's off. Check my comment above to Jpcc86. It really works and I'm not particularly hardcore. Maybe 10 to 20 hours a week, 20 being at most. Even if you have 7 hours a week which is only an hour a night, you could finish a JRPG every month. I platinumed Diablo 4 over 6 month span last year doing just that, two hours each day and it felt just as rewarding as it would have had, had I had done it in longer sessions.  You could finish Red Dead Redemption 2 by doing 2 hours a day in the span of 5 weeks. 

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
SvennoJ said:

You can always make time for games, it's your mindset that's off. Check my comment above to Jpcc86. It really works and I'm not particularly hardcore. Maybe 10 to 20 hours a week, 20 being at most. Even if you have 7 hours a week which is only an hour a night, you could finish a JRPG every month. I platinumed Diablo 4 over 6 month span last year doing just that, two hours each day and it felt just as rewarding as it would have had, had I had done it in longer sessions.  You could finish Red Dead Redemption 2 by doing 2 hours a day in the span of 5 weeks. 

A couple times a week I find 30 to 60 minutes to play something. It's just not enough to get into big games anymore. I find them "watered down" nowadays, meaning you do need to play for hours at a time to feel like you're getting somewhere.

Hence I stick to PSVR2, gives you a lot more 'bang' for your time.

I have more time in winter, which is when I play longer games. Although I did play TotK last year through summer over the span of 5 months. Then balked at BG3 where you can easily spend all your time just doing chores :/ (like shopping, managing equipment)

Nah I rather just put on the headset and play something straight forward instead of dealing with more inventory management games :)

Not really because I mostly use steam

BiON!@ 

No.

I wait for the games to pop up in the store and buy it.

I dont do MP so the only other good thing if I get PS+ would be for the cloud saves but I do my own saves via back up on USB so its a non issue.

Essential Games are often pathetic. I've been subscribed for nearly 5 years (this month I will have had a PlayStation for 5 years) and most of the months are meh to bad.
Some of the best Monthly games since I subscribed are games I already bought: The Last of Us Remastered, Star Wars Battlefront II, Persona 5 Strikers.
Extra has a great selection of games that I hadn't bought digitally or physically: Horizon: Forbidden West, Resident Evil 2, etc.
I'm convinced Sony locks the classics (PS3 streaming, PS1/PS2/PSP games) behind the Premium tier because they know they have the most niche appeal but the customers will pay the high price. Unless Sony offers me a discount again this year when it's time to renew, I'm pretty sure I'll finally have to downgrade to Extra. $159.99 USD + tax for Premium is not worth it.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Only ever been on Essential and very easily get my money's worth every year.

I don't buy a lot of games, and even when I do it's not usually day 1. Essential usually has something that I was either interested in, but not convinced to buy, or something that just randomly catches my interest.

This year I've played Rollerdrome, Sifu, Tunic and Streets of rage 4. Enjoyed all of them, had zero interest to buy them. Might even try Borderlands 3, but depends if I have time.