By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which was the better gen in your opinion?

Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP 54 66.67%

Wii U/PS4/XBO/3DS/Vita 27 33.33%

Total:81
curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

Ignoring Mr Wrong.

7th gen had some good hidden emotional gems. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. Lost in Shadow. Lost in rain. Fragile Dreams. These are some good to fantastic games no one played.

Fragile Dreams is esp great and stuck on Wii, it's a supernatural post-apocalypse emotional RPG. Fantastic music and a looker for a Wii game.

Sony sent Lost in rain (or just rain) to die as it launched the same month on PS3 the PS4 launched. It's similar to an Ico. Tho you are spirits and the only time you can be seen is in the rain.

Lost in Shadow is cool game and one of the last from Hudson Soft.  You play as a boy's shadow climbing a tower to reclaim his body. The Wii remote is the guide a butterfly that can manipulate platforms to cast shadows. The boy's shadow can only platform on shadows.

Majin an d the Forsaken Kingdom. You play as a thief and meet a big monster and together you solve puzzles to get through each stage. The monster is adorable and they have great chemistry.

A game wins 7th gen alone. Sin & Punishment Star Successor. Nothing to do with the other games mentioned but that game is so good I had to sneak it in.

Yeah Sin & Punishment was fantastic.

The Wii had a lot of hidden gems; Muramasa The Demon Blade, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Dead Space Extraction, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Red Steel 2, World of Goo, Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Art of Balance, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, de Blob 1 and 2, House of the Dead Overkill...

PS3 and 360 had some good ones as well, like Binary Domain, Spec Ops The Line, Singularity, and Puppeteer.

Yeah, I think this is what helps Wii top WiiU in the context of this conversation. WiiU hosted some amazing, all-time great games -- games like Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and, if you want to count it, Breath of the Wild. But so did Wii. It supported several brilliant titles, including Super Mario Galaxy 1/2; Super Smash Bros. Brawl; Twilight Princess; Wii Sports Resort; Donkey Kong Country Returns; Metroid Prime 3; and, arguably the best game of the entire generation, Xenoblade Chronicles. The difference is that between those big productions Nintendo and its third-party partners released a lot of great "AA" projects to fill in the gaps: Sin & Punishment, No More Heroes, Zack & Wiki, Muramasa, Little King's Story, Punch-Out!!, Smooth Moves, City Folk, Radiant Dawn, Excite Truck/Bots, Epic Mickey, Trauma Center, etc. There was depth and variety on Wii that didn't manifest on WiiU. 

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah Sin & Punishment was fantastic.

The Wii had a lot of hidden gems; Muramasa The Demon Blade, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Dead Space Extraction, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Red Steel 2, World of Goo, Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Art of Balance, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, de Blob 1 and 2, House of the Dead Overkill...

PS3 and 360 had some good ones as well, like Binary Domain, Spec Ops The Line, Singularity, and Puppeteer.

Yeah, I think this is what helps Wii top WiiU in the context of this conversation. WiiU hosted some amazing, all-time great games -- games like Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and, if you want to count it, Breath of the Wild. But so did Wii. It supported several brilliant titles, including Super Mario Galaxy 1/2; Super Smash Bros. Brawl; Twilight Princess; Wii Sports Resort; Donkey Kong Country Returns; Metroid Prime 3; and, arguably the best game of the entire generation, Xenoblade Chronicles. The difference is that between those big productions Nintendo and its third-party partners released a lot of great "AA" projects to fill in the gaps: Sin & Punishment, No More Heroes, Zack & Wiki, Muramasa, Little King's Story, Punch-Out!!, Smooth Moves, City Folk, Radiant Dawn, Excite Truck/Bots, Epic Mickey, Trauma Center, etc. There was depth and variety on Wii that didn't manifest on WiiU. 

Yeah it helped a lot that while third party support evaporated on Wii U after the first year, it stuck around much longer on Wii. 

It was that era when AA titles were more commercially viable so we saw a lot more of them. There was just much more stuff to play on Wii vs Wii U.

The Wii U library is lacking even on the first party department imo.

No Animal Crossing. No traditional Kirby game. No Fire Emblem. No Metroid. Then there's the mediocre/bad games: Star Fox Zero, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, the unecessary Wii Sports Club...

It's an OK library when we look at it considering it was from a failed console but at the end of the day the Wii had more variety and a steady flow of games, at least for a while. The Wii U had severe software droughts during its life, and it all started mere months after it launched.

RedKingXIII said:

No Animal Crossing. No traditional Kirby game. No Fire Emblem. No Metroid. Then there's the mediocre/bad games: Star Fox Zero, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, the unecessary Wii Sports Club...

It's an OK library when we look at it considering it was from a failed console but at the end of the day the Wii had more variety and a steady flow of games, at least for a while. The Wii U had severe software droughts during its life, and it all started mere months after it launched.

Yeah Wii U had some great first party titles, but there's some pretty serious holes in its lineup; consequences of both a short lifespan, the pains of HD development, and Nintendo realising early on that it wasn't worth sinking a lot of resources into it.  

Wii's library was just much more extensive from both a first and third party perspective.

The Wii U was a car crash. A few amazing games and nothing else. Was so terrible.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

Geezus, that guy was just relentless. Remember that back in the day there was a user here that would say "RED DEAD REDEMPTION" to whatever it was we would discuss about graphics, mainly when someone was trying to praise a Nintendo game in that department? The one guy in this thread reminded me of that old one lol.

Sorry for the intermission; back to the topic.

curl-6 said:
RedKingXIII said:

Yeah Wii U had some great first party titles, but there's some pretty serious holes in its lineup; consequences of both a short lifespan, the pains of HD development, and Nintendo realising early on that it wasn't worth sinking a lot of resources into it.  

Wii's library was just much more extensive from both a first and third party perspective.

Not to mention splitting development with 2 platforms.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah that too; Wii was split with DS, but as Wii was equivalent to 6th gen and DS to 5th gen, development was less demanding than Wii U/3DS.

Wii got for example two 3D Marios, two 3D Zeldas, two Kirby games, two games from Retro, etc compared to one of each for Wii U.

curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

Yeah that too; Wii was split with DS, but as Wii was equivalent to 6th gen and DS to 5th gen, development was less demanding than Wii U/3DS.

Wii got for example two 3D Marios, two 3D Zeldas, two Kirby games, two games from Retro, etc compared to one of each for Wii U.

I always considered Twilight Princess to be a Gamecube title. The HD remake agrees with me. Skyward Sword was easily the weakest 3-D Zelda, and a lot of that comes down to the design philosophy Nintendo pursued on the Wii, and I'm not just talking about the motion controls. Skyward Sword actually made me fear for the future of the Zelda series. I also wasn't impressed with the DS Zeldas, so the whole generation was kind of a step back for the Zelda series, especially comparing it to the Gamecube and Switch.

Xenoblade Chronicles and Punch-Out, on the other hand, were great. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 24 July 2024

Do we consider the DS Zelda's to be 3D games or 2.5D-ish? Those were genuinely bad games. SS is a mess but it at least tried something new. Where TP is a boring game that was made to appeal to the "I want my Mature zelda" idiots and Wind Wakers poor sales. The game felt safe as it gets. A better Zelda game starring a wolf released that same year. Okami. Funny Okami ended up the best Zelda on Wii as well.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!