By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which was the better gen in your opinion?

Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP 54 66.67%

Wii U/PS4/XBO/3DS/Vita 27 33.33%

Total:81
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Honestly i would not call it impressive botw is impressive for wiiu. a open world with out proper  dynamic lighting for the time of day, and not doing proper shadows just kills it for me, and those models come on, plus the 2d grass no its not impressive.

Notice of the lighting and shadows how they give life to the  environments, never mind that it's also way more detailed on the similar specs as the wiiu, an came out in 2010.  

Since you posted Digital Foundry's video on Xenoblade Chronicles X, maybe their review can help explain why they found it impressive:

"The end result is nothing short of spectacular for the platform, with a sublime balance between visual ambition and overall performance"

"As you start navigating the terrain, you might start to notice some of the subtle but impressive visual touches. Motion blur, for instance, is applied to camera movement and scenery alike helping to accentuate the fast movement speed of the game. Screen-space crepuscular rays are also present with subtle shafts of light emanating from the sun above while a basic ambient occlusion implementation handles contact shadows below. Animation is a huge step up from the previous game with characters that feel more connected to the world during exploration sequences"

"Open world games such as this often struggle with performance on consoles but we were pleasantly surprised by just how stable this game really is"

"Ultimately, Xenoblade Chronicles X is a beautiful and expansive game"

"it's hard not to be impressed by what has been achieved on Nintendo's home console."

It could doing some impressive things under the hood. i'm not a developer I'm strictly talking from a graphical stand point it doesn't look impressive to me, and i admit the game is extremely inconsistent graphically sometimes looking horrible while sometimes looking like 7th gen game.  

Around the Network
RedKingXIII said:
zeldaring said:

Honestly it doesn't look much better then this if you compare videos running in the grass, and the character models are terrible by 7th gen standards. it has that 6th gen look but obviously on a massive scale cause of the hardware. 

Xenoblade X looks much better than the first Xenoblade on Wii

X's character models do look terrible, but again they're a massive improvement over the models of the first Xenoblade. They look ugly because of a bad art style.

Did you even play the two games?

Edit: Also, Xenoblade Chronicles is not a 6th gen game.

I've played both and X is technically impressive, but the characters were generic and the music was awful.  

Just my 2 cents, the Wii U was way more powerful and had better looking games than the ps3/360.  I personally didn't think it was close.  Bayo 2 decimates Bayo 1.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

NEW LA theme sucks but the rest of the OST for X is amazing.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

NEW LA theme sucks but the rest of the OST for X is amazing.

Yeah, that is fair.  I really hated the LA theme.  I have no idea what they were thinking.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

I've played both and X is technically impressive, but the characters were generic and the music was awful.  

Just my 2 cents, the Wii U was way more powerful and had better looking games than the ps3/360.  I personally didn't think it was close.  Bayo 2 decimates Bayo 1.  

That's fair. I posted some pictures of the FF12 character models a few pages back and I think they look better than the models of XCX despite them being from a PS2 game. The power of good art style I'd say.

The XCX soundtrack is so different from the other 3 Xenoblade games that I can understand why someone may dislike it, even though I disagree.

Around the Network

The much more generous RAM capacity of 8th gen consoles did make them a much more comfortable fit for open world games from the perspective of technical performance.

That said, 7th gen did have plenty of great games with more open worlds in its own right, such as Skyrim, Oblivion, Far Cry 2 and 3, the Assassin Creed games from 1 to Rogue, Xenoblade Chronicles, Batman Arkham City, Infamous 1 and 2, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Forza Horizon, and GTA5/Red Dead 1 if you're into that. (I'm not, but obviously many people are)

Chrkeller said:
RedKingXIII said:

Xenoblade X looks much better than the first Xenoblade on Wii

X's character models do look terrible, but again they're a massive improvement over the models of the first Xenoblade. They look ugly because of a bad art style.

Did you even play the two games?

Edit: Also, Xenoblade Chronicles is not a 6th gen game.

This factually wrong, as PC player you should know that's a terrible  way to judge power and basically pure speculation to what your perfernce is. Just look at DF they are supposed to be experts yet could not tell The Wiiu GPU was actually 176Gflop instead Thought it was a more advanced GPU was suppose to be more then double the power, which was pretty clear it wasn't considering it lost to 360 in most multipltform games. They also embarresed themselves with the xbox x series article saying most multiplatform games would run better cause of the power diffrence then later this year just released a article that ps5 was designed better and thats why it runs games better. The Wiiu GPU is the same ATI/AMD TeraScale solution not all that different from R600 from 2007, and it was using 64bit DDR3 while the 360 had 128bit GDDR3 + those 10MB of edram. Really if a console is more powerfil in meaningful way  its gonna run most games better right from the start that wasn't the case with ps3, wiiu and x series cause they really werent at best they were on par and that's being nice.

@curl-6 you mention why DF found it impressive but they can't even tell the differnce between 176gflops GPU VS a way more advanced 352Gflops GPU so they should just stick multiplaform comparsions instead of there speculation.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 20 July 2024

For fucks sake take the L and go away.

Leynos said:

For fucks sake take the L and go away.

Mean while a post above mine says he thinks ps2 games have better character models. There should be no reason for that when the hardware jump is near 15x. it's not just art style they lack proper shadows, lighting and just very low detailed.

Ignoring Mr Wrong.

7th gen had some good hidden emotional gems. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. Lost in Shadow. Lost in rain. Fragile Dreams. These are some good to fantastic games no one played.

Fragile Dreams is esp great and stuck on Wii, it's a supernatural post-apocalypse emotional RPG. Fantastic music and a looker for a Wii game.

Sony sent Lost in rain (or just rain) to die as it launched the same month on PS3 the PS4 launched. It's similar to an Ico. Tho you are spirits and the only time you can be seen is in the rain.

Lost in Shadow is cool game and one of the last from Hudson Soft.  You play as a boy's shadow climbing a tower to reclaim his body. The Wii remote is the guide a butterfly that can manipulate platforms to cast shadows. The boy's shadow can only platform on shadows.

Majin an d the Forsaken Kingdom. You play as a thief and meet a big monster and together you solve puzzles to get through each stage. The monster is adorable and they have great chemistry.

A game wins 7th gen alone. Sin & Punishment Star Successor. Nothing to do with the other games mentioned but that game is so good I had to sneak it in.