By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, and other AAA titles bomb on iPhone/iPad

Chrkeller said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

Who's buying an ipad strictly for gaming?

I don't know.  But a few people thought the big 3 (Nintendo, MS and Sony) needed to be afraid.  But I think the rest of knew it was a nice feature but the iPad was never a gaming first device.  

I think soundwave was saying cause switch sold so many units that people don't care about  graphics anymore so mobile gaming would render home consoles irrelevant in the future but i do see PC hurting home consoles and it already has and it's massively growing. 

Around the Network

Expected result. If the vast, vast majority of people were unwilling to pay a small amount of money for a Mario phone game then the audience for phone games that cost several times as much as that is truly minuscule. It's either free to play or not many players at all for that market.

Random_Matt said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

Who's buying an ipad strictly for gaming?

100% Any gaming on a ipad would be a secondary function. I always wanted to play DOS on the ipad actually.

I played DOS-games with iDOS on the first iPad.

Conina said:
Random_Matt said:

100% Any gaming on a ipad would be a secondary function. I always wanted to play DOS on the ipad actually.

I played DOS-games with iDOS on the first iPad.

I should of been less lazy and typed divinity original sin instead.

I wouldn't say there is no demand at all for AAA gaming in a portable form; the Switch shows that such games can sell in the context of a handheld. Phones though are an entirely different market where people have been conditioned to expect everything to be either free or extremely cheap.

Honestly, folks have been claiming that mobile gaming will replace consoles since like 2009, and a decade and a half later it's still nowhere near. They're two separate things that can and do coexist, kinda like the PS5 and Switch.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I wouldn't say there is no demand at all for AAA gaming in a portable form; the Switch shows that such games can sell in the context of a handheld. Phones though are an entirely different market where people have been conditioned to expect everything to be either free or extremely cheap.

Honestly, folks have been claiming that mobile gaming will replace consoles since like 2009, and a decade and a half later it's still nowhere near. They're two separate things that can and do coexist, kinda like the PS5 and Switch.

I would have agreed with you but seeing how steam deck is selling it shows there isn't any real demand for them. It's basically has the AAA handheld market to itself for 3 years and is a amazing product yet can't even crack 5 million.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I would have agreed with you but seeing how steam deck is selling it shows there isn't any real demand for them. It's basically has the AAA handheld market to itself for 3 years and is a amazing product yet can't even crack 5 million.

Handheld PCs like the Steam Deck aren't really mass market products, they're expensive and not as convenient or accessible as something like the Switch. They are more for enthusiasts, not the mainstream consumer.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Handheld PCs like the Steam Deck aren't really mass market products, they're expensive and not as convenient or accessible as something like the Switch. They are more for enthusiasts, not the mainstream consumer.

You could have said the samething for PC gaming it's for enthusiasts but it's really exploding.  I mean steamdeck is very well built and steam has 130 million active users that see the steamdeck right on the front page. I'm honestly shocked that the demand is so little. It honestly seems like if it's not a nintendo handheld no one cares about handhelds no matter how great the product is and basically had every AAA  game in handheld  form including Sony games.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 26 June 2024

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

You could have said the samething for PC gaming it's for enthusiasts but it's really exploding.  I mean steamdeck is very well built and steam has 130 million active users that see the steamdeck right on the front page. I'm honestly shocked that the demand is so little. It honestly seems like if it's not a nintendo handheld no one cares about handhelds no matter how great the product is and basically had every AAA  game in handheld  form including Sony games.

PC as a whole isn't just for enthusiasts, it's a very broad base covering everything from those who play the latest AAA games at max settings to folks who just play Stardew Valley on their old laptop. 

When it comes to gaming on the go though, most folks will just use the phone they already have or buy a Switch as its just more convenient and accessible.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

PC as a whole isn't just for enthusiasts, it's a very broad base covering everything from those who play the latest AAA games at max settings to folks who just play Stardew Valley on their old laptop. 

When it comes to gaming on the go though, most folks will just use the phone they already have or buy a Switch as its just more convenient and accessible.

Most pc players  on steam  have hardware more powerful then a ps5. My main point is for me anyway that the Steam Deck has all the AAA games on a handheld and can't even do wiiu numbers lol, that shows more then anything the market just doesn't care for AAA games on handheld they care about Nintendo games on handheld.