By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Europe sales data- May 2024

Europe May 2024 report-

"Across the tracked markets, 311,000 games consoles were sold in May 2023, which is a drop of 40% over the same period the year before.

All console platforms saw a big drop, with Nintendo Switch suffering the biggest fall. Again, this is because last May saw the release of Zelda and a special Zelda edition of the OLED Switch model.

Meanwhile, accessory sales fell 25% for the same five-week period, once again led by the DualSense controller (which actually saw sales rise year-on-year)."

European GSD May 2024 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)

Position Title  

1 EA Sports FC 24 (EA)

2 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)

3 F1 23 (Codemasters)

4 Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (Sony)

5 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Nintendo) *

6 Helldivers 2 (Sony)

7 Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)

8 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)

9 Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (EA)

10 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)

Source- http://gamesindustry.biz/ea-sports-fc-24-and-gta-5-top-european-charts-in-tough-may-european-monthly-charts

Around the Network

-40% drop is really big, especially in a historically PS dominated market. At this point even the 18million forecast for Sony seems more like wishful thinking than a feasible goal.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

-40% drop is really big, especially in a historically PS dominated market. At this point even the 18million forecast for Sony seems more like wishful thinking than a feasible goal.

It depends, since the Switch won last May and it likely dropped over 70%. The other consoles could have declined as little as 10-15%.

haxxiy said:
Qwark said:

It depends, since the Switch won last May and it likely dropped over 70%. The other consoles could have declined as little as 10-15%.

^ this.

The vast majority of that drop is likely Switch sales.
I also suspect Xbox drop here is bigger than the PS5 drop.
Going by people buying new Controllers for PS5 is up.

I'm working on the Europe estimates for May 2024, but for the tracked markets in this report (it is missing the UK, Germany, and some other smaller countries in Europe) we are going to have PS5 down by the smallest percentage by a decent amount, while the Switch and Xbox Series X|S we will have down by over 50%. 

For the UK, total hardware sales were down nearly 33% year-over-year and down 10% month-on-month (MoM). PS5 dropped 13% MoM, while Switch and Xbox Series X|S sales were down 9% MoM. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/v-rising-tops-uk-charts-in-may-uk-monthly-charts

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

what do you guys think about this?
Hellblade 2, System Shock remake, Rogue Prince of Persia, are all below top100 sales for software on the month?

The first Hellblade sold well... when it was on playstation.
Now its Gamepass and xbox/pc, and its sales are terrible.

Expected?

The logic ofc goes that its a 4-6hour game, and it makes sense if you have gamepass you just play it there for free.

Theres ~100 people playing it right now on steam, and almost 200 daily for hellblade2.
Rough estimates of sales on steam is in the 60k-70k range.

How many copies did it sell on xbox?  Will Hellblade reach 1m sales total at some point? or is that just not possible atm?
Like imagine if Hellblade 2, is at like 200k sales total currently.

Does MS close down Ninja Theory?

Last edited by JRPGfan - 4 days ago

@JRPGfan

I will say this very sensitively, but:

I am "delighted" having raw data continuing to show what Game Pass truly means for box office revenue. And, in fact, hardware sales, too.

I am only pointing out to this, nothing more, nothing less. I don't want to downplay any efforts Ninja Theory put into their game.

But this IS what Game Pass means in 2024. I can't foresee the future, I am not going to predict anything, but what the hell did Microsoft put themselves into.

JRPGfan said:

what do you guys think about this?
Hellblade 2, System Shock remake, Rogue Prince of Persia, are all below top100 sales for software on the month?

The first Hellblade sold well... when it was on playstation.
Now its Gamepass and xbox/pc, and its sales are terrible.

Expected?

The logic ofc goes that its a 4-6hour game, and it makes sense if you have gamepass you just play it there for free.

Theres ~100 people playing it right now on steam, and almost 200 daily for hellblade2.
Rough estimates of sales on steam is in the 60k-70k range.

How many copies did it sell on xbox?  Will Hellblade reach 1m sales total at some point? or is that just not possible atm?
Like imagine if Hellblade 2, is at like 200k sales total currently.

Does MS close down Ninja Theory?

Hellblade 2, A game that Microsoft revealed along side the Series consoles didn't even crack the TOP 100 in its LAUNCH MONTH.

GTA6 is the only thing that can stop consoles from seeing a huge decline.

zeldaring said:

GTA6 is the only thing that can stop consoles from seeing a huge decline.

GTA is insanely huge in europe..  I think its much bigger in europe than in the US even.
Yes it will move consoles, anyone thinking otherwise is not being honest.

That year, esp as its being console exclusive (atleast at first),.... its gonna help consoles sales massively.