By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First trailer for Metroid Prime 4: Beyond, coming 2025

zeldaring said:
Leynos said:

30FPS for a Prime game is crazy talk.

Nothing crazy about it. Prime Remastered isn't known for its great fast paced combat. The combat is mid from Most reviews that talk about it. We have had action games like Astral chain, and blood born run at 30fps and still play well enough. Look I dislike 30fps in action games and fps but in the case since Switch 2 is coming out and run it at 60fps they could do way more at 30fps with ancient hardware like the switch just my 2 cents. Metroid is a pretty small ip for ninetndo and anyone buying it will most likely get a switch 2 day one for it.

Anything with a fast moving camera needs 60 fps.  First person, by default is a fast moving camera.

I'm expecting 720p/60fps on the Switch and 4k/60fps on the S2, likely upscaled from 1440p.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

It really speaks to the talent of the people making this game that people mistook it for Switch 2 footage.

Great to see that the series tradition of pushing Nintendo hardware continue; Prime 1 and 2 were among the best looking games on Gamecube and Prime 3 was one of the best looking games on Wii.

This is looking like it could be one of those late-life games that really maxes out its system, a lot like BOTW and Fast Racing Neo on Wii U, God of War Ascension and TLOU on PS3, Halo 4 and Gears 3/Judgement on 360, TLOU2 on PS4, Gears 5 on Xbone, etc.

Did people really think it looked like a S2 game?  I can't say it looks next generation to me.  Don't get me wrong the game looks nice but not a generational leap. .

Yeah I was surprised people thought it could be a next gen game. Definitely just looks like Switch-level graphics. I'd expect anything next gen to be wayyyy more graphically advanced than this. It looks great, but those graphics would be extremely disappointing for a next gen game.

zeldaring said:
Leynos said:

30FPS for a Prime game is crazy talk.

Nothing crazy about it. Prime Remastered isn't known for its great fast paced combat. The combat is mid from Most reviews that talk about it. We have had action games like Astral chain, and blood born run at 30fps and still play well enough. Look I dislike 30fps in action games and fps but in the case since Switch 2 is coming out and run it at 60fps they could do way more at 30fps with ancient hardware like the switch just my 2 cents. Metroid is a pretty small ip for ninetndo and anyone buying it will most likely get a switch 2 day one for it.

First off, we have no idea if it is actually coming out on Switch 2. That's just a guess, though it may prove correct. Secondly, Switch is probably gonna have a 150m user base when this comes out, lots of sales of MP4 are gonna be on Switch even if it is cross gen. Very good chance if it is cross gen most sales will be on Switch not S2. S2 will almost certainly launch with 3D Mario and Mario Kart likely won't be far behind so it's not like they are gonna rely on a cross gen Switch upgraded fairly niche game to be the big launch game.

They've made it as a Switch game, if it is cross gen it'll likely just be a resolution upgrade, maybe at most they upgrade graphics slightly. Point is, it needs to run well on Switch, not run poorly on Switch. 30fps vs 60fps doesn't make a significant difference for most genres, 30fps works perfectly fine for most games, but first person shooters is one genre where 60fps makes a big difference. In first person shooters the camera pans around quickly compared to most other types of games, and 30fps makes that panning a little choppy or blurry, 60fps makes it smooth and clear.

So yeah, 60fps is a must have for MP4 on any system. That's a basic requirement of the game running well.

And combat in Prime games isn't "mid", it's just an exploration focused first person game. The shooting action is there and good when it is there, sometimes it's just knocking out an enemy or two easily and sometimes its straight up frantic, but exploration is the main game mechanic, shooting secondary. This isn't halo, it's metroid.

Also Metroid Prime Remastered is FANTASTIC! Don't go saying silly stuff like any part of that game is "mid" just because you read some review. That's probably among the best games ever made.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Eww, strong disagree.  Prime has to be 60 fps.  A 30 fps shooter?  Yuck.  

I never tried prime series only super metroid on super nes  which i thought was good but nothing amazing. I wanted to try prime but i hear that its more about exploration and the combat is really bad, so that kind turned me off.

End of the day this game should have been made with switch 2 in mind and being the main focus on it.

Retro has been making the game since 2018 or the very start of 2019 at the latest so it couldn't have been made with the Switch 2 as the main focus. It's like saying a game that started development in 2015 should've been made with the PS5 being the main focus.

Norion said:
zeldaring said:

I never tried prime series only super metroid on super nes  which i thought was good but nothing amazing. I wanted to try prime but i hear that its more about exploration and the combat is really bad, so that kind turned me off.

End of the day this game should have been made with switch 2 in mind and being the main focus on it.

Retro has been making the game since 2018 or the very start of 2019 at the latest so it couldn't have been made with the Switch 2 as the main focus. It's like saying a game that started development in 2015 should've been made with the PS5 being the main focus.

Yea i was thinking that since every game today takes 4-5 years to make is everything gonna be  cross gen.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
zeldaring said:

First off, we have no idea if it is actually coming out on Switch 2. That's just a guess, though it may prove correct. Secondly, Switch is probably gonna have a 150m user base when this comes out, lots of sales of MP4 are gonna be on Switch even if it is cross gen. Very good chance if it is cross gen most sales will be on Switch not S2. S2 will almost certainly launch with 3D Mario and Mario Kart likely won't be far behind so it's not like they are gonna rely on a cross gen Switch upgraded fairly niche game to be the big launch game.

They've made it as a Switch game, if it is cross gen it'll likely just be a resolution upgrade, maybe at most they upgrade graphics slightly. Point is, it needs to run well on Switch, not run poorly on Switch. 30fps vs 60fps doesn't make a significant difference for most genres, 30fps works perfectly fine for most games, but first person shooters is one genre where 60fps makes a big difference. In first person shooters the camera pans around quickly compared to most other types of games, and 30fps makes that panning a little choppy or blurry, 60fps makes it smooth and clear.

So yeah, 60fps is a must have for MP4 on any system. That's a basic requirement of the game running well.

And combat in Prime games isn't "mid", it's just an exploration focused first person game. The shooting action is there and good when it is there, sometimes it's just knocking out an enemy or two easily and sometimes its straight up frantic, but exploration is the main game mechanic, shooting secondary. This isn't halo, it's metroid.

Also Metroid Prime Remastered is FANTASTIC! Don't go saying silly stuff like any part of that game is "mid" just because you read some review. That's probably among the best games ever made.

I don't think there is any silly about that. Most  games combat from that era hasn't ages well imo. Resident evil 4 2005 probably best game ever for it's time but now the combat is extremely dated and easy. Group enemies together head shot and kick, rinse and repeat, it was a snooze fest when i replayed it 10 years later.

"but the reviews said" Nice to know you don't think for yourself. You let a former Gamestop employee turned IGN "writer" or whatever decide for you. The only significant thing about Prime that aged was the controls which Prime Remastered fixed. A minor issue was the backtracking. Yes, it's a part of Metroid but in Prime, had a couple of progression sections that feel like going way out of your way and back. Something later games fixed.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

"but the reviews said" Nice to know you don't think for yourself. You let a former Gamestop employee turned IGN "writer" or whatever decide for you. The only significant thing about Prime that aged was the controls which Prime Remastered fixed. A minor issue was the backtracking. Yes, it's a part of Metroid but in Prime, had a couple of progression sections that feel like going way out of your way and back. Something later games fixed.

I never said they decided for me but from everything I read the combat sounds simple and with no real challenge.  Lock on system for a fps doesn't sound fun. I will give it a try though. I also completed super Metroid like 8 years ago and honestly didn't think it was great just good at best.

zeldaring said:
Norion said:

Yea i was thinking that since every game today takes 4-5 years to make is everything gonna be  cross gen.

Yeah most big multiplat games that started development within the past year are probably gonna release in 2028-2030 and be cross-gen. It won't impact Nintendo as much since they're gonna continue being close to a decade behind in terms of power but the leap from gen 7 level games to gen 8 level should still result in the Switch 2 getting less first party games in an average year compared to the Switch. Some of the games for the first 1-2 years will likely be cross-gen.

Metroid isn't Halo, and that is fine. Both are superb and their own thing. Metroid is about exploration and loneliness.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED