By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First trailer for Metroid Prime 4: Beyond, coming 2025

Think Ridley will be in Prime 4? Maybe Kraid in his first ever (as far as I know) appearance in the Prime series?

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

Think Ridley will be in Prime 4? Maybe Kraid in his first ever (as far as I know) appearance in the Prime series?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Man I loved every second of that trailer. The music in that final environment is splendid! I need to see more of this game.

Leynos said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Lol, but couldn't they even take some of his blood leftover from the battle and clone him?

Why the remaster didn't have weapon lighting.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oiIm5Ymu6s

Around the Network

Just for fun, I did some cross-referencing and it turns out that, as of Prime Remastered, there are still 8 staff members from the original Metroid Prime working at Retro:

Shane Lewis (Testing on Prime, Lead QA Design Analyst on Remastered)
Ryan Powell (Artist on Prime, Environment Artist on Remastered)
Dax Pallotta (Animator)
Stephen Zafros (Animator)
Jim Gage (Engineer on Prime, Technology Engineer on Remastered)
Ryan Harris (Production Assistant on Prime, Director of Planning on Remastered)
Clark Wen (Audio Lead on Prime, Contract Sound Designer on Remastered)

Alex Quinones (Engineer on Prime, Gameplay Engineer on Remastered)

Since these folks were still actively working at Retro as of their last project, there's a very good chance some of them are also working on Prime 4; so while a lot of people will have come and gone at Retro since 2002, it's kinda cool that some of OG Prime guys remain after all this time and are likely bringing us Prime 4.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 June 2024

curl-6 said:

Just for fun, I did some cross-referencing and it turns out that, as of Prime Remastered, there are still 7 staff members from the original Metroid Prime working at Retro:

Shane Lewis (Testing on Prime, Lead QA Design Analyst on Remastered)
Ryan Powell (Artist on Prime, Environment Artist on Remastered)
Dax Pallotta (Animator)
Stephen Zafros (Animator)
Jim Gage (Engineer on Prime, Technology Engineer on Remastered)
Ryan Harris (Production Assistant on Prime, Director of Planning on Remastered)
Clark Wen (Audio Lead on Prime, Contract Sound Designer on Remastered)

Since these folks were still actively working at Retro as of their last project, there's a very good chance some of them are also working on Prime 4; so while a lot of people will have come and gone at Retro since 2002, it's kinda cool that some of OG Prime guys remain after all this time and are likely bringing us Prime 4.

That would be nice. ^^

sc94597 said:

I wonder if they might even have some sort of ray-tracing implementation for a Switch 2 version. Could make the game look amazing lighting-wise.

Unlikely.

The issue is they have gone for baked lighting, you can't just layer on Ray Traced Global Illumination on top of that unfortunately, you would need to go back and remake a ton of art/assets.

They could use RT for reflections, but considering how weak the next-gen Switch is going to be for RT, they may ignore it entirely in order to maintain 60fps.

The game is very much an artistic piece, not a game that is pushing lots of effects. I.E. Minimal Dynamic lights... But some good shader work. - They are playing to the Switch's hardware strengths.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
sc94597 said:

I wonder if they might even have some sort of ray-tracing implementation for a Switch 2 version. Could make the game look amazing lighting-wise.

Unlikely.

The issue is they have gone for baked lighting, you can't just layer on Ray Traced Global Illumination on top of that unfortunately, you would need to go back and remake a ton of art/assets.

They could use RT for reflections, but considering how weak the next-gen Switch is going to be for RT, they may ignore it entirely in order to maintain 60fps.

The game is very much an artistic piece, not a game that is pushing lots of effects. I.E. Minimal Dynamic lights... But some good shader work. - They are playing to the Switch's hardware strengths.

Given how aggressive Retro always are about achieving a flat 60fps, I can't see them going for RT reflections either if it would compromise performance.

That said, the Prime games have always pushed detail and fidelity, so I'd be surprised if the inevitable Switch 2 version was a simple up-res; maybe they'd thrown in some nice ultra-sharp textures and boosted geometry and draw distance as well, sort of like we see with some cross-gen first party PS4/5 titles.

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Unlikely.

Given how aggressive Retro always are about achieving a flat 60fps, I can't see them going for RT reflections either if it would compromise performance.

That said, the Prime games have always pushed detail and fidelity, so I'd be surprised if the inevitable Switch 2 version was a simple up-res; maybe they'd thrown in some nice ultra-sharp textures and boosted geometry and draw distance as well, sort of like we see with some cross-gen first party PS4/5 titles.

Lots of room to move on the texture front, with the expected multiple increase in framebuffer storage.

They could add some lights to some of the weapon effects to influence the environments lighting considering they won't be limited by the Switch 1.0 hardware anymore.

But basically texture and resolution improvements is the most I would expect, which is more than what we got with most WiiU to Switch ports like Mario Kart 8, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Captain Toad and a heap of others.

Which is not a bad thing, cross-gen games tend to be fairly technically underwhelming on successors platform anyway... So better texturing and resolution will let the art pop anyway.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--