By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First trailer for Metroid Prime 4: Beyond, coming 2025

One thing that I really appreciated after rewatching the reveal trailer, which is something they tried to draw your attention to, is how much stuff is happening in the backgrounds in all the scenes. While Samus is in combat, there's some sort of action happening in the background to make it feel more epic. After playing MP remastered, it had the sense of loneliness of not much else happening outside of Samus in combat with whatever enemies is in front of her.

MP 4 looks like it'll have a much grander sense of scale! Great first showing.

Around the Network

WOW!

I was in 7th grade when Prime 3 released. Turning 31 this year.

I can't believe we are finally getting it.

Hoping for 1080p (DLSS upscaled is fine) 60fps on Switch 2! Although not opposed to double dipping (Switch/Switch 2) if it means we don't have to wait 18 more years for the next one.

Very cool. I had been sure for the past year or so that this game had been moved from Switch production to Switch 2. Cool that it's a Switch game. Looks fantastic. I just hope they give us remakes or even just basic HD ports of MP2 and MP3 before this game hits. I never played those two back in the day and would love to go through them before MP4 comes out. Maybe we'll just get a same-day drop of them like this Fall on a future Direct. Be good to release them before end of year so people have time to play them before Prime 4 hits.

And yeah it will also be interesting to see if they are gonna end up making this game cross gen and do something to upgrade the graphics for next gen version. Could be part of the reason this game has taken so long is because with how long it was already taking they decided to push it back to Switch 2 launch as a cross gen and had to make a graphically upgraded build for the next-gen version.

Soundwave said:

Probably makes sense that it will be a Switch 2 launch window title, so probably like March-spring 2025.

Works for the IP because Metroid is not a huge hit IP so it'll benefit from being both in the Switch 2 launch window + having the Switch 1 userbase as well to sell to.

3D Mario or Mario Kart are being saved for the launch date big game; I still think. Animal Crossing is a huge seller now as well, but 3D Mario or Mario Kart are in more dire need of a game. 

MP4 would just be an added bonus if it is cross-gen and is there at launch. 

MP4 could very well bring the IP to new sales heights, at least excluding the combined sales of Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Metroid Prime Remastered. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I'm honestly still pinching myself, feeling like this must be a dream. After 7 years of nothing, it doesn't feel real.

I love the way they have built on and evolved the series art style; the Prime games have always been among the most beautiful games on their respective hardware and I this one looks no different. 

God damn it feels good to have Retro back after so long. Nobody makes games quite like they do.

The 2025 release date basically guarantees a crossgen release, which I think is the right move; take advantage of the Switch's massive userbase and keep your promise to Switch owners while giving new owners of the successor an enhanced version.

If this lives up to its superb predecessors, it'll be a worthy swan song for one of the best systems ever.

Around the Network

Looks fantastic, might end up being the nicest looking game on switch.

The logo in the title card looks like a black hole.

I’m calling it! Time travel confirmed or Samus will be stuck in a distant future because of time relativity.

Day 1. Hoping it is the same game on S2 and just runs better like ps4 to ps5 games. I don't want to buy two copies.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Day 1. Hoping it is the same game on S2 and just runs better like ps4 to ps5 games. I don't want to buy two copies.

Looks like this is targeting 720p 60fps on  Switch, given the released screenshots. 

>1080p 60fps definitely a possibility for a  Switch 2 version, given that.

I wonder if they might even have some sort of ray-tracing implementation for a Switch 2 version. Could make the game look amazing lighting-wise.

I don't think they'll go for a 120fps performance mode because of the way these old engines tie physics and animations with framerate. Makes too much work for QA to sort out bugs. 

sc94597 said:
Chrkeller said:

Looks like this is targeting 720p 60fps on  Switch, given the released screenshots. 

>1080p 60fps definitely a possibility for a  Switch 2 version, given that.

I wonder if they might even have some sort of ray-tracing implementation for a Switch 2 version. Could make the game look amazing lighting-wise.

I don't think they'll go for a 120fps performance mode because of the way these old engines tie physics and animations with framerate. Makes too much work for QA to sort out bugs. 

Completely agree.  It could easily go from 720p to 1440p fairly easily.  I just Nintendo plays nicely and doesn't sell the games separately when it could easily scale.  

I don't see 120 fps being in scope.  120 fps rips some memory bandwidth, so does resolution.  So I think with the S2 they will have choose one or the other.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED