By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Games Showcase 2024 + CoD Black Ops Direct thread (live now)

Rate the Xbox showcase + Black Ops direct?

10 12 27.27%

9 19 43.18%

8 8 18.18%

7 2 4.55%

6 3 6.82%

5 0 0%

4 0 0%

3 0 0%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:44

It was a solid 8 for me, but I can see why someone would rate it a 10. Perfect Dark and Indiana Jones are my only must play games, but I''ll probably check out Dragon Age as well.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

I think the showcase showcased the benefits of Gamepass. If I had seen this show in an E3 pregamepass, it would have gotten a meh from me because while a lot of things looked interesting there weren't all that many games that I'm sold on spending 60 dollars on. But, games like Mixtape, Flintlock, South of Midnight, are things that I very well may check out on Gamepass. I'm not saying it's perfect, but when games aren't 60 bucks a pop, you can take more chances and do things outside the norm.

Gamepass, from what to pay to what to play.

Machiavellian said:
twintail said:

Pretty stacked showing, which is expected of the MS showcase.

Surprisingly lack of JPN content after how heavily they tried to promote that region these last few years. I think while a lot of stuff looks good, there were the odd games that look pretty bad/ boring. (eg: Indy is doing nothing for me, just a very poor showing for that game). Otherwise, I think a lot of the stuff just kind of start blending into one another, which is a problem I'd say the xbox showcase usually has.

But for me, Perfect Dark looked really cool. Interested to see more on that. Maybe South of Midnight too. AC looked nice too, def showing some stuff I'd like to see in a GoT2. So will see how that one pans out. The rest doesn't interest me much tbqh.

Just wondering about your Indy comment.  From a person who grew up watching the first Indiana Jones movie and all the sequels, this representation of Indy is spot on. There was no real gameplay showing in this trailer but what was shone as far as presentation was right on point with how the character is portrayed in the films especially the first 3 which is more relevant.  Its hard to describe but this is to me probably the most realistic representation of the character and the first  movies I have seen in a game.  I am wondering if you have seen the first 3 movies or even like the character in general.

One thing about the showcase for me is that  a lot of games are coming to GP and out of those games everyone of them I want to play.  For someone who has invested in GP like I have, to see so many games of different types coming to the service makes my decision of investing in the service worth its price.  There was nothing that blended one into the other for me as I thought there was enough separation of different genre from one to another so that you did not get fatigue watching 5 FPS in a row or something along those lines.

I've seen the movies, but admittedly I'm not an Indy fan. So, I appreciate that the game has the right vibe going for it and if that's part of the appeal, then I won't be one to disagree.

But that said, I'm not exactly why so much of the showing was dedicated to this cutscene, which I don't think was particularly well put. And the moments of gameplay leave a lot to be desired.

I'm not saying I think Indy will be a bad game (granted I'm not sold on the gameplay right now), but I don't think this showing was what the game needed.

I'm not a GP user myself but it definitely seems worth the investment considering what's coming. 

twintail said:
Machiavellian said:

Just wondering about your Indy comment.  From a person who grew up watching the first Indiana Jones movie and all the sequels, this representation of Indy is spot on. There was no real gameplay showing in this trailer but what was shone as far as presentation was right on point with how the character is portrayed in the films especially the first 3 which is more relevant.  Its hard to describe but this is to me probably the most realistic representation of the character and the first  movies I have seen in a game.  I am wondering if you have seen the first 3 movies or even like the character in general.

One thing about the showcase for me is that  a lot of games are coming to GP and out of those games everyone of them I want to play.  For someone who has invested in GP like I have, to see so many games of different types coming to the service makes my decision of investing in the service worth its price.  There was nothing that blended one into the other for me as I thought there was enough separation of different genre from one to another so that you did not get fatigue watching 5 FPS in a row or something along those lines.

I've seen the movies, but admittedly I'm not an Indy fan. So, I appreciate that the game has the right vibe going for it and if that's part of the appeal, then I won't be one to disagree.

But that said, I'm not exactly why so much of the showing was dedicated to this cutscene, which I don't think was particularly well put. And the moments of gameplay leave a lot to be desired.

I'm not saying I think Indy will be a bad game (granted I'm not sold on the gameplay right now), but I don't think this showing was what the game needed.

I'm not a GP user myself but it definitely seems worth the investment considering what's coming. 

I believe they concentrated on this particular cutscene because its a really good representation of the actual character, tone and vibe including the story.  The voice actor for Indy sounds like young Harrison Ford and does not sound forced. 

Suttle points in the cinematic like how the enemy soldier act, how Indy responses through conversation of just animation queues as all spot on.

I believe they have showed enough of the gameplay from the last showing of the game to get a feel that the game will not be Uncharted/ Tomb Raider and really, I am not sure if showing more of it really does anything.  It does not appear this is going for anything like the 3rd person action/adventure game popularize by TombRaider and Uncharted especially since its First Person.  If you kind of think about it, the game wants you to feel like you are Indy which is why I believe they chose first person instead of 3rd person.

I do understand if the game does not appeal to someone, but I was wondering if that appeal for the game for me is because it really tries to replicate that Indiana Jones feel and tone that the first 3 movies had compared to someone else who really did not grow up on the series like I did.  From comments I have read from other sites, it seem to be that way.  For gamers who have no real connection to the Indy movies, especially the first 3, seeing that cutscene had no real impact but from others like myself who I have talked with, it was the cut scene that made them take more interest in the game because how it really seems to give you that Indy feel you felt when you first saw the first movie.  Its going to be very interesting to see how this game reviews and sell but I more interested in the game now then I was during the gameplay from the last reveal.

About the new Gears game... Well, I liked the trailer. As a PC gamer, I only played Gears 1, and I loved it. But Microsoft never released Gears 2, 3 and Judgement for PC, and I think it will be weird to jump from Gears 1 to Gears 4 like that and go on.

But this is a franchise that I really want to play...

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

About the new Gears game... Well, I liked the trailer. As a PC gamer, I only played Gears 1, and I loved it. But Microsoft never released Gears 2, 3 and Judgement for PC, and I think it will be weird to jump from Gears 1 to Gears 4 like that and go on.

But this is a franchise that I really want to play...

Sounds like a Series X or S is calling you. 

A Series S is a nice alternative to Xbox/Xbox 360 emulation (which even nowadays lags a decade behind its counterparts) and Xbox One titles. No disc drive, though...

JRPGfan said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm not sure I like this purposefully low FPS look on South of Midnight. I know they are targeting the fans of low framerate animation created by Spider-Verse and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, but I just don't think it works for a game, gamers are too conditioned to like anything lower than 30 fps animations. 

The 10fps cartoon cgi parts looked rough, ingame, it was low too... but there the harsh cuts from cgi -> ingame transitions was the worst part.... and the gameplay seemed like unless you knew you had to do x,y,z at certain spots, it wouldn't go well (ei. that person playing it, made it look "good", while most people wont get a experiance like that).

Another thing that surprised me is how many black female leads have been shown so far.... what like 5? or so....  More than White males.
Like its obvious theres something wrong here, thats due to DEI people.

I'm only seeing this comment now and I just want to express that I feel this is really inappropriate. I hope this is just ignorance more than anything else. 

But there being more black leads is a good thing. There are enough white male and white women characters in games, that if there happens to be a bunch of games being shown off with black women, it shouldn't really be an issue. 

Diversity is a good thing for the medium of games, especially when we want more creators to tell more unique stories. Nothing wrong with it. 

haxxiy said:

A Series S is a nice alternative to Xbox/Xbox 360 emulation (which even nowadays lags a decade behind its counterparts) and Xbox One titles. No disc drive, though...

Would be nice to have an external optical drive accessory, because the Series S is a brilliant machine for older games.

In-saying that though, it does not get the One X enhanced versions... Which is unfortunate.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--