By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who do you believe is the most over rated developer?

On those terms I actually really agree with MikeB, Valve used to be known as the gods of programming, they seemed to be able to do anything with they're knowledge :P As of lately I just don't see the mad skillz as easily as I used to, and after they pawned the orange box project off on EA because Gabe didn't feel like learning a new set of hardware, it just further strengthens they're lack of desire to learn in my opinion. I would call them an over-rated developer.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network
MikeB said:
windbane said:
MikeB said:
1) Electronic Arts.
2) ID Software was leading in the past, IMO they've gone downhill pretty hard.
3) Valve, same as ID software.

Valve just released the Orange Box, a compilation of 3 new award winning games...*sigh*

IMO they peaked with Half-Life 1. I loved Half-Life 2 as well, but they are lagging behind with regard to coding competence and fail to really amaze like they did before.

The thread question is about most over-rated. I didn't say Valve released horrible games, I just think many overate their current company competence. BTW, IMO Bungie nose dived as well compared to their Macintosh era.

That's interesting mainly because Half-Life 2 was revolutionary when it was released in 2004, and looked far better than its competition (Doom 3) while still maintaining reasonable minimum requirements. Half-Life 2 was also considered such a breakthrough from a gameplay perspective because it offered a ton of variety, and just as you were begining to get tired of an environment or action they mixed it up on you ...

As for Chronotrigger JM's assumption that Gabe didn't feel like learning the PS3's hardware, maybe Gabe realized that the Source engine is 4 years old and his time would be better spent developing a new engine.

@Happy True, or so I COULD believe. I'm still impressed with Valve, I think steam is friggin amazing don't get me wrong, but the fact that anytime something new comes out, the first person in line to bitch about it is Gabe, the man just doesn't seem to like change. Valve used to be the un-tamed mustang to me, they seemed WILLING to tackle any project, they seemed to WANT to learn tricks and shortcuts and just be they're good ol' amazing self. The Valve that I had immagined would have wanted to be one of the first developers on cell technology, they were the guru's of the programing world, but when they let Gabe just sit around and constantly bitch about every other thing, it just massively discredits them in my opinion, I mean they're probably still good, but no where near the level that people hold them at anymore. I think it's just the seeming lack of drive to learn thats killing me about them :( They were one of the few developers that honestly felt like they enjoyed the thrill of the hunt more than the kill it'self y'know.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

First, apologies for not reading whole thread - as the actress said to the bishop its just too damn big!

Second, I doubt they're overrated, but for sure they've achieved underserved success (which I think is worse) so I say EA.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I don't understand the Valve complaints, I'd say they're much better than they were in the Half Life days.

Yes the Source engine is getting old, but it still looks about as good as the other engines on the market, and it's even better because it scales to older computers so nicely. That's a REALLY big deal for gamers who can't or don't want to upgrade their PCs.

And you have to give Valve credit for Steam, which is pretty much the only reasonable digital distribution option, and it's a damn good one.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Smeags said:
Rath said:
Jhriad said:

Nintendo

"Ok guys, we need a new title. Any ideas?"

*looks around the room*

"Well the last game did well how about we add a few new characters, change the moves up a bit, and to top it off a new level or two?"

GENIUS!

Seriously, how can these story deprived, samey copies of prior generation titles NOT earn any developer the 'overrated' title?

Because they are very very fun?

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

*sigh* it saddens me that people just can't have fun anymore. Where gamers rather have a frown on their face than a smile. Ah well. *continues having fun with games*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is playing the same game every couple-years fun?

If you play games alot soon enough you want more than "whoooooo hooooooo, it'sa me'a marioooo"

You want a more diverse range of games.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

shio said:

And Oblivion is a Terrible example of an open-ended game:

1-The main story is 100% linear and is a crap story.

2-The side-stuff are also mostly linear (meaning there's only 1 outcome/path), and have crap/boring stories.

3-Add 1+2 and you have a free-roaming game with almost NO real choices. Hell, you can even kill as much NPC's as you want, and you only need to bribe a guard to get the bounty off. "A choice without consequence is not a choice"

Basically, in Oblivion the only tangible choice you have by design is from which order you do the quests.

Agreed, but there's a reason Oblivion FEELS more open world than it is and it's the reason people spent so much time with it - every time you did something, or every time you rolled a different character and did the same quest, everything acted so differently.  Now admitedly much of that was to quirky/glitchy A.I. and some other weird glitches, but the fact that the world changed and people acted differently during attacks and stuff made it FEEL more loose than the script actually allowed.  Some ofit was accidental and "broken" in a way, but it was still really fun.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Strategyking92 said:

If you play games alot soon enough you want more than "whoooooo hooooooo, it'sa me'a marioooo"

The same characters =/= the same game.

Also, this is incredibly ironic from someone advertising Halo 3 in his sig.   

naznatips said:
Strategyking92 said:

The same characters =/= the same game.

Also, this is incredibly ironic from someone advertising Halo 3 in his sig.

Bwahahahah, so true. And I like Halo.

It's ridiculous that people claim Nintendo franchises are all the same. Then again, it makes it brutally obvious that they haven't played a Nintendo game in years if they say that so I guess it's a good way of flagging fanboys on this forum. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Seriously people.  Nintendo makes maybe 1 or 2 games in each of their main franchises per generation.

There have been three 3D Mario games in three generations.  There have been four 3D Zelda games in three generations.  

There have been five metal gear games in three generations (And I'm not counting any of the spinoffs).  There have been five Ratchet platformers in two generations. There have been five 3D Grand Theft Auto games in one generation, and GTAIV is coming now.  There have been nine Call of Duty games in two generations, and another one is already comming

People complain Nintendo milks their franchises, but they are nowhere near the top of the milking tree.