By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How far away are we from seeing games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spiderman 2018 on Switch/Switch 2?

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

Nothing wrong with that but if someone is a big Harry potter fan I would expect them to play a descent version cause the switch version is not even a true open world. It's cut back where it has load times, graphics look terrible compared to powerful hardware and frame rate is often dropping below 30fps with frame pacing if you are adult and don't love mobile gaming you really getting a butchered experience imo.

I think you don't get how out of touch you are with large portions of the adult demographic. 

A lot of your points are like a PS2 fanboy stuck in 2005, it's not 2005 anymore man. Nintendo's audience isn't the same as it was then, the Harry Potter audience isn't the same as it was then, gamers aren't the same any more. 

The younger set are just flat out wild and don't give a shit about fidelity at all, my generation (that one that grew up on the NES to PS2) ... no way would they give a game like Minecraft a shot but these kids don't give a shit. 

Meh that's your opinion. When most pc gamers have rigs more powerful.then ps5 and PC games sales about to catch up to all consoles combined that tells me they do care. And regardless why you think they upgrade for most people they upgrade cause they want better graphics and performance. 

Kids are broke and will always be happy with what they can get.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

I think you don't get how out of touch you are with large portions of the adult demographic. 

A lot of your points are like a PS2 fanboy stuck in 2005, it's not 2005 anymore man. Nintendo's audience isn't the same as it was then, the Harry Potter audience isn't the same as it was then, gamers aren't the same any more. 

The younger set are just flat out wild and don't give a shit about fidelity at all, my generation (that one that grew up on the NES to PS2) ... no way would they give a game like Minecraft a shot but these kids don't give a shit. 

Meh that's your opinion. When most pc gamers have rigs more powerful.then ps5 and PC games sales about to catch up to all consoles combined that tells me they do care. And regardless why you think they upgrade for most people they upgrade cause they want better graphics and performance. 

Kids are broke and will always be happy with what they can get.

Again kids are not the main demo for this game ... people who were kids when the books and movies were coming out are driving the sales ... but that was 20+ years ago. 2001 is 23 years ago, if you were 8 years old then, you're in your 30s now. 

And that tracks too ... none of the really young kids in my family give a shit about Harry Potter. It was the 30-somethings that were all hyped to go to Universal Studios and go on the Harry Potter ride and drink the stupid butterbeer or whatever it is. 

Johnny Depp wasn't cast in that Crimes of Grindledorf or whatever (lol) for kids, that was for people in their 30s-40s (of course he got cut out because of the Amber Heard thing). 

My young daughters were all about hogwarts.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Soundwave said:
RedKingXIII said:

There's also the fact it's a survival horror game, and if you're not Resident Evil it's a tough genre to sell. The Dead Space remake also didn't do great numbers despite being a very good game.

Like I said, AW2 flopping has nothing to do with its graphics.

I wouldn't say AW2 is a flop ... Senua's Saga is definitely a flop, Starfield is a massive disappointment that quite probably was the straw that broke the camel's back and killed the XBox brand in a lot of way. Immortals of Aveum is a flop. Basically the two big Unreal Engine 5 games so far this gen have both flopped. Avatar I would say is a sales dud. Forspoken is a flop for sure. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is a bitter dissapointment sales wise especially considering the prestige of the brand/legacy (FF7 is one of the greatest games ever made) and that it's the best reviewed Final Fantasy game in ages. 

Alan Wake 2 still struggling to break even is a disappointment I'd say, you'd expect a bit more from a game that even won GOTY awards, has so much hype from the gaming media, the tech media, etc. just goes to show all of those sources mean dick all for sales. 

I'd say AW2 is a flop... at least for now. I believe when it's all said and done it will be profitable, there's the physical release coming, another DLC, a possible Steam release, bigger discounts and maaaybe a Switch 2 version in the future, so there's still tons of potential for sales. It's just another case of a good game not doing great because of some terrible bussiness decisions. It has nothing to do with the quality of the game and fortunately it's not a failure that kills a studio, Remedy is fine and developing 3 games. I'm really excited about Control 2, personally.

The last "real" Harry Potter movie was in 2011 ... even that is actually a long time ago now. That's 13 years ago ... it's not a given say a 7 or 8 year old would give a crap about a property that hasn't had a movie with Harry Potter actually in it in their life time. The books are even older still and kids don't read anyway these days, lol.

When I was growing up Spider-Man was a for kids brand, today kids are maybe like 10% of the actual demographic for a Spider-Man movie. 

Around the Network
RedKingXIII said:
Soundwave said:

I wouldn't say AW2 is a flop ... Senua's Saga is definitely a flop, Starfield is a massive disappointment that quite probably was the straw that broke the camel's back and killed the XBox brand in a lot of way. Immortals of Aveum is a flop. Basically the two big Unreal Engine 5 games so far this gen have both flopped. Avatar I would say is a sales dud. Forspoken is a flop for sure. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is a bitter dissapointment sales wise especially considering the prestige of the brand/legacy (FF7 is one of the greatest games ever made) and that it's the best reviewed Final Fantasy game in ages. 

Alan Wake 2 still struggling to break even is a disappointment I'd say, you'd expect a bit more from a game that even won GOTY awards, has so much hype from the gaming media, the tech media, etc. just goes to show all of those sources mean dick all for sales. 

I'd say AW2 is a flop... at least for now. I believe when it's all said and done it will be profitable, there's the physical release coming, another DLC, a possible Steam release, bigger discounts and maaaybe a Switch 2 version in the future, so there's still tons of potential for sales. It's just another case of a good game not doing great because of some terrible bussiness decisions. It has nothing to do with the quality of the game and fortunately it's not a failure that kills a studio, Remedy is fine and developing 3 games. I'm really excited about Control 2, personally.

The thing is they wouldn't have been able to make the game without that deal. Epic financed it, medium sized studios don't just have $85 million laying around, that's a lot of money even for a pretty big studio giving to one of their teams. For a studio that isn't like under the umbrella of a Sony or EA, there's probably no way they could have ever afforded to make that game otherwise. 

It needed to sell more on the PS5 + XBox Series S/X and it should be, but alas it hasn't really worked out that way. 

Soundwave said:

The last "real" Harry Potter movie was in 2011 ... even that is actually a long time ago now. That's 13 years ago ... it's not a given say a 7 or 8 year old would give a crap about a property that hasn't had a movie with Harry Potter actually in it in their life time. The books are even older still and kids don't read anyway these days, lol.

When I was growing up Spider-Man was a for kids brand, today kids are maybe like 10% of the actual demographic for a Spider-Man movie. 

You make some really odd and baseless assumptions.  Both my young kids have a kindle and read all the time.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

You make some really odd and baseless assumptions.  Both my young kids have a kindle and read all the time.  

I mean kids not reading anymore is a pretty widespread story at this point

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-12-28/editorial-few-kids-are-reading-for-enjoyment-anymore-and-losing-out-on-more-than-great-stories

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/feb/29/children-reading-less-says-new-research

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/the-real-reasons-kids-arent-reading-more/2022/03

https://onenuttybuddy04.medium.com/the-vanishing-act-why-kids-dont-read-anymore-a98a9e1ba340

The smartphone/tablet has done a number on the coming generation. Forget books, things like blogs and message boards like this are even relics of the past. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 13 June 2024

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-12-28/editorial-few-kids-are-reading-for-enjoyment-anymore-and-losing-out-on-more-than-great-stories

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/feb/29/children-reading-less-says-new-research

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/the-real-reasons-kids-arent-reading-more/2022/03

https://onenuttybuddy04.medium.com/the-vanishing-act-why-kids-dont-read-anymore-a98a9e1ba340

The smartphone/tablet has done a number on the coming generation. 

Yes, many children like the Harry Potter series because it's relatable and includes fantastical elements. The books feature characters and situations that are similar to real life, but also include magic. They also cover common childhood issues, such as bullying, loneliness, and fitting in, as well as other themes like friendship, competition, and loyalty. J.K. Rowling, the author, intended the series to be primarily aimed at children and made the writing relatable to her intended audience

In the end of the day like everyone says Lego is a perfect fit for switch and will probably do much better then the ps5 version. Harry potter is for everyone basically and those games tend to do very well compared to something like witcher 3 or doom.

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

The smartphone/tablet has done a number on the coming generation. Forget books, things like blogs and message boards like this are even relics of the past. 

Sounds like poor parenting.  My kids read at least 20 minutes a day.  They aren't allowed to just burn their brain on stupid social media all day.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED