By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How far away are we from seeing games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spiderman 2018 on Switch/Switch 2?

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

69 on Metacritic.  So people don't buy bad games?  Thanks for the news flash.  

There are games in that score range that sell fine actually, but maybe the game would've been half decent if the studio head was focused on gameplay instead of wanking off to Unreal Engine 5 features that no one cared about. Development priorities matter especially when you don't have the luxury of a proven IP license like a Harry Potter or some shit. 

Lol.  I can only laugh at this point.  So now your argument is bad games should sell well?

DD2 isn't struggling.  Maybe because it has good gameplay?  

I mean if your argument is gameplay matters and games need to be more than just graphics...  I don't suspect anyone here is going to disagree.

Hogwarts is a good game.  Spider 2 is a good game.  Tekken, SF6, DD2.....  all selling well.

Your insistence on cherry picking to force fit an argument is goofy.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

69 on Metacritic.  So people don't buy bad games?  Thanks for the news flash.  

There are games in that score range that sell fine actually, but maybe the game would've been half decent if the studio head was focused on gameplay instead of wanking off to Unreal Engine 5 features that no one cared about. Development priorities matter especially when you don't have the luxury of a proven IP license like a Harry Potter or some shit. 

I'm really baffled by the way you think. You would think that you have no clue about game sales. Graphics has never guaranteed a game to be successful not even great reviews sometimes. Unless you come From a massive franchise there is no guaranteed success and if your scoring a 69 on metracritic it will most likely bomb. 

Hell divers 2 would never run on ps4 and sold 12 million I don't hear you say anything about that.

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Lol.  I can only laugh at this point.  So now your argument is bad games should sell well?

I mean if your argument is gameplay matters and games need to be more than just graphics...  I don't suspect anyone here is going to disagree.

Hogwarts is a good game.  Spider 2 is a good game.  Tekken, SF6, DD2.....  all selling well.

Hogwarts Legacy is actually proof positive of a big developer putting in work to make sure the Switch got a version of the game not too far off from the OG release and it's been selling like gang busters on Switch every month since release. 

That's an example of not letting stupid tech biases get in the way of smart business, Hogwarts Legacy remains every month in the Circana charts one of the top 5/6 Switch sellers even though we're now several months past its release, whereas on the PS5/XBox charts it's not in the top 10 any longer so the odds are good that the Switch version has been doing a lot of the heavy lifting for the game having a second wind sales wise. 

Other developers could learn a thing or two from Warner Bros, the general audience does not care that the game doesn't look exactly the same as the other versions. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Hogwarts Legacy is actually proof positive of a big developer putting in work to make sure the Switch got a version of the game not too far off from the OG release and it's been selling like gang busters on Switch every month since release. 

That's an example of not letting stupid tech biases get in the way of smart business, Hogwarts Legacy remains every month in the Circana charts one of the top 5/6 Switch sellers even though we're now several months past its release, whereas on the PS5/XBox charts it's not in the top 10 any longer so the odds are good that the Switch version has been doing a lot of the heavy lifting for the game. 

Yes.  Game engines are scalable.  We know this.  Has been this way for over a decade.  Hogwarts with ultra settings is stunning.

Hogwarts backs what everyone in this thread has been saying....  hogwarts was not simply built with weak hardware in mind.  It was built to take advantage of all kinds of hardware.  High, mid and low.  Just like we have all been telling you for pages and pages.

Glad you got it now.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

That's an example of not letting stupid tech biases get in the way of smart business, Hogwarts Legacy remains every month in the Circana charts one of the top 5/6 Switch sellers even though we're now several months past its release, whereas on the PS5/XBox charts it's not in the top 10 any longer so the odds are good that the Switch version has been doing a lot of the heavy lifting for the game. 

Yes.  Game engines are scalable.  We know this.  Has been this way for over a decade.  Hogwarts with ultra settings is stunning.

Hogwarts backs what everyone in this thread has been saying....  

The point is not that. 

The point is this whole stupid fear of "oh no, if you port a game and have to downscale some graphics means it won't sell" is not true. 

Hogwarts Legacy is selling big on the Switch because WB took a chance and gave Switch owners a big release and didn't make them wait like 2-3 years for a port. If they could have gotten the game out day 1 with the other versions, the Switch version probably would have sold even better but it's doing great as is. 

Huge success for them. People don't care if the game is even 540p, frame rate this that or the other, or has low res this that or the other or whatever ... as long as the main game play is mostly intact, that's good enough. They want games where they play them, not to be told they have to go here or there to play. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

The point is not that. 

The point is this whole stupid fear of "oh no, if you port a game and have to downscale some graphics means it won't sell" is not true. 

Hogwarts Legacy is selling big on the Switch because WB took a chance and gave Switch owners a big release and didn't make them wait like 2-3 years for a port. 

Huge success for them. People don't care if the game is 540p or has low res this that or the other or whatever ... as long as the main game play is mostly intact, that's good enough. They want games where they play them, not to be told they have to go here or there to play. 

Harry potter is massive franchise with kids it makes sense to port it to switch and do the extra work with such a massive user base. Kids will play anything and be happy.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

The point is not that. 

Hogwarts Legacy is selling big on the Switch because WB took a chance and gave Switch owners a big release and didn't make them wait like 2-3 years for a port. 

Huge success for them. People don't care if the game is 540p or has low res this that or the other or whatever ... as long as the main game play is mostly intact, that's good enough. They want games where they play them, not to be told they have to go here or there to play. 

Harry potter is massive franchise with kids it makes sense to port it to switch and do the extra work with such a massive user base. Kids will play anything and be happy.

The people buying this game are actually largely adults, lol. They're 25-40 somethings that grew up on the movies and books that was ... 20+ years ago bro. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

The point is not that. 

Hogwarts Legacy is selling big on the Switch because WB took a chance and gave Switch owners a big release and didn't make them wait like 2-3 years for a port. If they could have gotten the game out day 1 with the other versions, the Switch version probably would have sold even better but it's doing great as is. 

Huge success for them. People don't care if the game is even 540p, frame rate this that or the other, or has low res this that or the other or whatever ... as long as the main game play is mostly intact, that's good enough. They want games where they play them, not to be told they have to go here or there to play. 

Goalpost shift.  Nobody claimed otherwise.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

The people buying this game are actually largely adults, lol. They're 25-40 somethings that grew up on the movies and books that was ... 20 years ago bro. 

I'm talking about the Switch version. The people playing on powerful rigs and ps5/x are mostly adults probably. As an adult though that's not on thr go 24/7 you would wanna experience this on descent hardware. I'm sure that hard to understand for you since the most important thing about a game for you to enjoy is being on Nintendo hardware. 

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

The people buying this game are actually largely adults, lol. They're 25-40 somethings that grew up on the movies and books that was ... 20 years ago bro. 

I'm talking about the Switch version. The people playing on powerful rigs and ps5/x are mostly adults probably. As an adult though that's not on thr go 24/7 you would wanna experience this on descent hardware.

You'd be wrong. The whole pull of this game is the nostalgia angle and 30-somethings reliving their childhood. 

Harry Potter like many "kids brands" grew out of being solely a "kids brand" ages ago. 

The Switch in general is like that too ... the main userbase is in their late teens to 30s which lines up exactly with the Harry Potter nostalgia group. That's why it's doing gangbusters on Switch. 

Sony's audience is aging out in a bad way, they getting the 40 and even 50 somethings, that's not a desirable audience to have. If you were 21 when the PS2 came out, you'd be in your 40s now. Shit if you were 21 even when the PS3 came out you'd be in your late 30s.