By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How far away are we from seeing games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spiderman 2018 on Switch/Switch 2?

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

So no link or evidence to back your false claims about me?  Cool.  Just letting everyone see your true colors.  

No sorry, I'm not going to dig through 8 months of threads just to play stupid games with you. You said it, I remember it so I stated it as much. You're not worth the time or effort to do that. 

The bottom line though is Sony has told us for them what is budget range is too high. It's in their internal docs, you don't really have any kind of case to argue against it. You might as well also argue the Playstation 5 isn't actually named the Playstation 5 while you're at it. 

Cool.  Thanks for showing everyone your true colors.  Perma is right, you act like Trump.  Make up baseless accusations with zero evidence.  

Enjoy your evening.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

No sorry, I'm not going to dig through 8 months of threads just to play stupid games with you. You said it, I remember it so I stated it as much. You're not worth the time or effort to do that. 

The bottom line though is Sony has told us for them what is budget range is too high. It's in their internal docs, you don't really have any kind of case to argue against it. You might as well also argue the Playstation 5 isn't actually named the Playstation 5 while you're at it. 

Cool.  Thanks for showing everyone your true colors.  Perma is right, you act like Trump.  Make up baseless accusations with zero evidence.  

Enjoy your evening.

There is factual evidence presented here, and you're trying make up alternative facts, so I could throw that Trump analogy right back in your face. 

The Sony documents say what they say. Sorry if they don't align with your "graphics can double/triple every 5 years forever and ever and ever" fantasy. 

Right from Sony of all companies too, not a 3rd party. That's gotta be a swift kick in the balls when they themselves are saying it, shit they are even specifying a budget range even lower than what I probably would have thought. I would have said "well once you get to $400-$450 mill, you're getting into a really dicey area for huge pubs like Sony and MS", they're saying even less than that is a big problem. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Enjoy your evening.

There is factual evidence presented here, and you're trying make up alternative facts, so I could throw that Trump analogy right back in your face. 

The Sony documents say what they say. Sorry if they don't align with your "graphics can double/triple every 5 years forever and ever and ever" fantasy. 

Right from Sony of all companies too, not a 3rd party. That's gotta be a swift kick in the balls when they themselves are saying it, shit they are even specifying a budget range even lower than what I probably would have thought. I would have said "well once you get to $400-$450 mill, you're getting into a really dicey area", they're saying 350 mill. 

I'm not worried about it.  You are making up baseless attacks.  Everyone can see it.  

I got nothing else to say to you.  Your behavior speaks for itself.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Right from Sony of all companies too, not a 3rd party. That's gotta be a swift kick in the balls when they themselves are saying it, shit they are even specifying a budget range even lower than what I probably would have thought. I would have said "well once you get to $400-$450 mill, you're getting into a really dicey area", they're saying 350 mill. 

I'm not worried about it.  You are making up baseless attacks.  Everyone can see it.  

Well obviously you have nothing else to say because you can't really argue the actual facts here. The Sony documents say what they say, you can't really argue it. 

The math breaks it down further, you can see exactly in the example I showed from their own data how a budget at 350 would have largely wiped out a majority of the profit from a game like Spider-Man 2018. So yeah, there isn't much to discuss here, the facts are right there (not my opinion either, that Sony saying all of that, Sony's own numbers and budgeting). At 500 million budget the game would have been unprofitable straight up. 

I am just pointing out what was in the data leak, which frankly should have been a larger discussion here. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 12 June 2024

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Well obviously you have nothing else to say because you can't really argue the actual facts here. The Sony documents say what they say, you can't really argue it. 

The math breaks it down further, you can see exactly in the example I showed from their own data why they think that way too. So yeah, there isn't much to discuss here, the facts are right there (not my opinion either, that Sony saying all of that, Sony's own numbers and budgeting). 

I am just pointing out what was in the data leak, which frankly should have been a larger discussion here. 

He's not saying anything wrong, obviously sony wants to make more money and spider man 2 while looking great is not like it blows away the top game graphically and uses like 70% of the same map if i remember correctly. So i doubt it's the graphic its more about gaming budgets going crazy cause of inflation and no one wants to work. like  just go watch the xbox show case, almost every freaking game is pushing graphics if  graphics were the cause of such a massive budgets then most developers would probably dial it down.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

The math breaks it down further, you can see exactly in the example I showed from their own data why they think that way too. So yeah, there isn't much to discuss here, the facts are right there (not my opinion either, that Sony saying all of that, Sony's own numbers and budgeting). 

He's not saying anything wrong, obviously sony wants to make more money and spider man 2 while looking great is not like it blows away the top game graphically and uses like 70% of the same map if i remember correctly. So i doubt it's the graphic its more about gaming budgets going crazy cause of inflation and no one wants to work. like  just go watch the xbox show case almost every freaking game is pushing graphics if what because of graphics budget were going crazy they would not be doing that.

No actually he/she is wrong, from the Sony data leak we can see what say ... a $500 million budget for example would do to Spider-Man's net profit ... it would wipe it out entirely. At 350 mill you would lose over 65% of the profit margin. That's using their own data, not something I created.

To say "well that's not a valid concern, that's just a company being greedy" is just blatantly stupid. It's company greed to be concerned when a budget range chops 2/3rds of your profit margin off? Like what fantasy land is this, any business owner even someone who owned a ice cream corner shop would be very concerned about 2/3rds of their profit margin going down the toilet all of the sudden. 

That's not "oh well he just has a different opinion", the leak tells us what Sony really thinks. In their internal docs you can see that there is a lot of hand wringing over Spider-Man 2 costing 3x more than Spider-Man 2018.

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

He's not saying anything wrong, obviously sony wants to make more money and spider man 2 while looking great is not like it blows away the top game graphically and uses like 70% of the same map if i remember correctly. So i doubt it's the graphic its more about gaming budgets going crazy cause of inflation and no one wants to work. like  just go watch the xbox show case almost every freaking game is pushing graphics if what because of graphics budget were going crazy they would not be doing that.

No actually he/she is wrong, from the Sony data leak we can see what say ... a $500 million budget for example would do to Spider-Man's net profit ... it would wipe it out entirely. At 350 mill you would lose over 65% of the profit margin. That's using their own data, not something I created or opined on. 

To say "well that's not a valid concern, that's just a company being greedy" is just blatantly stupid. It's company greed to be concerned when a budget range chops 2/3rds of your profit margin off? Like what fantasy land is this, any business owner even someone who owned a ice cream corner shop would be very concerned about 2/3rds of their profit margin going down the toilet all of the sudden. 

That's not "oh well he just has a different opinion", the leak tells us what Sony really thinks. 

We don't why spiderman 2 costs so much though. you are assuming it's graphics when horizon forbidden west is bigger and for most part people think it looks better graphically. like i said earlier many games are pushing graphics at the same level as spiderman 2 are they all gonna cost 240-340 million, we don't  why the budget went so high.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 12 June 2024

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

No actually he/she is wrong, from the Sony data leak we can see what say ... a $500 million budget for example would do to Spider-Man's net profit ... it would wipe it out entirely. At 350 mill you would lose over 65% of the profit margin. That's using their own data, not something I created or opined on. 

That's not "oh well he just has a different opinion", the leak tells us what Sony really thinks. 

We don't why spiderman 2 costs so much though. you are assuming it's graphics when horizon forbidden west is bigger and for most part people think it looks better graphically. like i said earlier many games are pushing graphics at the same level as spiderman 2 are they all gonna cost 240-340 million

I believe it is in the documentation though (there's a ton of it, so it's a dense read) ... in fact one thing we learn from the Sony leak is internally at Sony and Insomniac there is a lot of hand wringing and worry about why Spider-Man 2 costing 3x more in budget due to graphics. 

In fact they even had a slide where Insomniac themselves states essentially this

"We spent 3x the budget from S1 to S2 but we doubt the general consumer can even tell the difference". 

I'm not saying graphics can't get better, but the idea that we can double/triple from here I think is crazy talk. We are reaching the breaking point when even Sony is worried. 

GTA6 can be all that it is, but that's also a 2 billion dollar game, 1 billion at least on the budget of the game itself ... if that's the future of the industry, that's just untenable. You would need to sell like 70-80 million copies before you start seeing a return on investment. I'm not gonna lie either like it looks good but especially outside of the scripted cutscene sequences, I'm not sure if I think it looks like 1 billion dollars good. If that's what 1 billion gets you, photoreal is what? 10x that? 

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

We don't why spiderman 2 costs so much though. you are assuming it's graphics when horizon forbidden west is bigger and for most part people think it looks better graphically. like i said earlier many games are pushing graphics at the same level as spiderman 2 are they all gonna cost 240-340 million

I believe it is in the documentation though (there's a ton of it, so it's a dense read) ... in fact one thing we learn from the Sony leak is internally at Sony and Insomniac there is a lot of hand wringing and worry about why Spider-Man 2 costing 3x more in budget due to graphics. 

In fact they even had a slide where Insomniac themselves states essentially this

"We spent 3x the budget from S1 to S2 but we doubt the general consumer can even tell the difference". 

I'm not saying graphics can't get better, but the idea that we can double/triple from here I think is crazy talk. We are reaching the breaking point when even Sony is worried. 

GTA6 can be all that it is, but that's also a 2 billion dollar game, 1 billion at least on the budget of the game itself ... if that's the future of the industry, that's just untenable. You would need to sell like 70-80 million copies before you start seeing a return on investment.

I honestly don't think it's graphics that much,  for example  Industry experts speculate  TOTK it could range from $100 million to $150 million. That game engine ran on wiiu, Horizon forbidden has graphics better then spider man 2 and way more variety cost 200 million and is a much bigger game. gtav on 360/ps3 cost 200 million, i think marvel taxed them big time or they went over budget. just look all the games though if graphics were really that costly why are developers still pushing graphics so much. 

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

GTA6 can be all that it is, but that's also a 2 billion dollar game, 1 billion at least on the budget of the game itself ... if that's the future of the industry, that's just untenable. You would need to sell like 70-80 million copies before you start seeing a return on investment.

I honestly don't think it's graphics that much,  for example  Industry experts speculate  TOTK it could range from $100 million to $150 million. That game engine ran on wiiu, Horizon forbidden has graphics better then spider man 2 and way more variety cost 200 million and is a much bigger game. gtav on 360/ps3 cost 200 million, i think marvel taxed them big time or they went over budget.

Time = money from a business POV as well though, it's not only budgets skyrocketing but the time to make these games is skyrocketing. 4 years is now like the low end dev cycle, 5-8 years standard, 10+ years entirely possible. 

If you're running any kind of office with employees you have to pay people every day of that period, with no return on that investment until the game releases and sells into the red. If you have a game that's taking like 10 years to develop, I can see why as a president you would be well not happy. 

I just don't see how we double/triple from here in a tenable way. What are we talking about, 500 million budgets being the normal budget with a 10 year dev cycle? I don't see how that works. Again at 500 million a game like Spider-Man 2018 wouldn't have been profitable on the PS4 (maybe with the PS5 re-release you get it, but I believe that cost another $120 million or something lol) but no return on captial until like 5 years later? Needing to sell like 15-20 million copies just to make your 1st dollar in return. That's insane. The days of being able to make a fairly "epic" game in 2-3  years for maybe 20 million are long gone and have like 2-3 installments of an IP on one system seems to be dead outside of indies.