By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree. 94 OC/95 MC. Is it too hard? Poll.

Is the DLC too difficult...

Yes 5 20.83%

No 8 33.33%

A bit but manageable 8 33.33%

No opinion 3 12.50%

Total:24
Hiku said:
LegitHyperbole said:

To access Shadow of the Erdtree's new region, you will need access to Mohgwyn Dynasty Mausoleum in Mohgwyn Palace. Level 100 - 150 is recommended. 

Needing to defeat Mohgwyn is a bit of a surprising requierment for a game where bosses generally don't block progression.
Some of them do, but right at the start of the game is an interesting choice.

I don't mind personally. Although I don't remember if I beat Mohgwyn?
Checking my Trophy list, I can see that I did not beat him.

He's easy enough. Easier than the standard enemies in the DLC early on, I'm getting my ass whooped but random mobs. 

Around the Network

Yep. This is Dark souls 2 all over again. I'm gonna give it one or two last sessions but I'm not going playing a game that disrespects my time. Minor enemies with the spells and movesets of late game bosses, it's the same as them spamming that damn demon mob in DS2 all over the map. The git gud crowd are all out for this but I've seen Messemer, that is way too much to ask with no real way of leveling up for it and no margin of error, I've beaten all souls borne games apart from Dark souls 2 so I know BS when I see it, Mortal shell is the only souls like game that handled difficulty ramps this high and done it well.

I hate having to summon players for bosses aswell, feels like a cheap reward and they are forcing it here. A real damn pity. 

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - on 22 June 2024

I played for about 30 minutes today, just to enter the area and have a look. The regular mobs in the beginning were no issue, but the first mini-boss kicked my. His damage was insane, but he didn't have all that much health. I'm gonna need some more fragments before I try that dude again.

Mummelmann said:

I played for about 30 minutes today, just to enter the area and have a look. The regular mobs in the beginning were no issue, but the first mini-boss kicked my. His damage was insane, but he didn't have all that much health. I'm gonna need some more fragments before I try that dude again.

Do you mean that fire giant thing?

It feels soooo cheap. I'm not the only one either, 61% on steam reviews and basically everyone saying the same thing about difficulty. I don't think the devs can fix it either, it's not the damage that's the issue, it's the movesets and Ai. Maybe they can fix the hit boxes which are absolute BS but not much can be done aside from reworking the game, looks like they realised this too and added in the Scadutree fragments to offset it but it doesn't solve the main issue. I'm as disappointed by this as I was with CDPR when Cyberpunk dropped, a real shame. 

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - on 22 June 2024

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
Mummelmann said:

Do you mean that fire giant thing?

No, not going near that thing for some time yet. It's the blackgaol knight in the maousleum. I actually do decent damage to mobs; but their damage on me in insane. Bigger enemies will sometimes wreck me in one charged hit. It's a blast exploring, but I'm too scared to run into dungeons!

I'd love to sink my teeth into this (and if it's compared to DS2, all the better, given DS2 is my favourite Souls), but right now, I just don't have time for it, and unfortunately it will remain that way for the foreseeable future (it took me some 165 hours to finish ER, since I tend to explore such games thoroughly and slowly).

LegitHyperbole said:

It feels soooo cheap. I'm not the only one either, 61% on steam reviews and basically everyone saying the same thing about difficulty. I don't think the devs can fix it either, it's not the damage that's the issue, it's the movesets and Ai. Maybe they can fix the hit boxes which are absolute BS but not much can be done aside from reworking the game, looks like they realised this too and added in the Scadutree fragments to offset it but it doesn't solve the main issue. I'm as disappointed by this as I was with CDPR when Cyberpunk dropped, a real shame. 

Its become a streamer game. Ridiculous difficulty because people love to see streamers struggle. I like the DLC so far, but I agree that it is kinda cheap at times. DLC are usually more difficult than the main game for From Software though. The Dark Souls 3 DLC is brutal all around.

I'm more surprised with how stingy the DLC is with runes. You were hitting blood albinaurics for 3,000+ and now stronger mooks give half that amount.

As for the difficulty, I wouldn't be surprised if one boss in particular is tuned down like Radahn was (aggressivity-wise).

This framerate issues along with 62% reviews on steam is really bad. It seems like fromsoftware has the ninetndo effect now where reviewers give them crazy high scores no matter what cause of big the fan base online. 

Fromsoftware really need to address these issues and get some good programmers, there games are nothing mind blowing graphically and still struggling to hit 60fps.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 22 June 2024