By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Ops 6 is coming to PS4 and Xbone

LegitHyperbole said:

What an odd move this far into a generation. Personally as a PS4 PRO player I get yet another reason to not upgrade. Are generation leaps on the way to the grave? 

Sorry but unless you are struggling with money badly, you should have upgraded. consoles last for 5-6 years and selling your ps4 pro would get you 150-200$ you will get some exclusives as well, and the SSD and 60fps do make a huge difference in gameplay and the way the game looks. in the end you're gonna upgrade and you just wasted years of playing on inferior hardware for nothing.  we are  talking about a 250$ investment to have games load much faster and run much better for 5 years. 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 05 June 2024

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

lol, a PS5 is not a Ferrari compared to a Honda relative to a PS4. We're talking more like the difference between a Honda Civic and a Honda Accord. 

Senua's Saga is a "small game" ... it is completely bombing, so I don't really buy that as a solution. 

When AI can drop a budget of $300 million down in half or a third, then that's a discussion, as of right now it's a pipe dream, it means nothing to a studio head who is trying to finance a game today.

Kids today don't give a fuck about graphics. Lets even look at most of the top brands in the industry right now

Call Of Duty - Right here in this thread, still a cross-gen series almost 5 years into this generation. 

Fortnite - Biggest new hit gaming IP of the last 10 years probably, not exactly a graphics focused game, you can even play it on a smartphone. 

Minecraft - This one doesn't even need an explanation. 

Mario Kart - The most modern one and successful one is a Wii U game that's now sold 50+ million copies and continues to sell every month. 

Animal Crossing - Biggest phenomena during COVID that totally crushed FF7 Remake in sales head to head, had massive social media and popular media following. 

Genshin Impact - A game you can play on a smartphone if you want. 

Roblox - I dunno even know what the fuck the appeal here is, but apparently it's massive. 

Helldivers 2 - Even this is entirely playable on like 10-series GTX cards that are pretty ancient. 

Legend Of Zelda - Skyrocketed from a franchise selling about 4-8 million to over 30 million with BOTW/TOTK, but this is basically a Wii U graphics engine. 

NBA 2K/FC Soccer/Madden NFL - I mean there's a graphics overhaul every new gen, but then they just rehash the same engine every year, in Madden and FC Soccer's case I don't even think the "generational leaps" are impressive anymore even. Another group of games that aren't really graphics driven. 

When even a lot of big 3rd party IP are not really graphics focused titles, it shows to me a shift in audience mentality. People would rather play this stuff than graphical showcase titles.

Yet another sign of this is the Fallout games all of the sudden charting again in big numbers because of the TV show ... but these are last gen games coming out of nowhere, no one cares though that it's "last gen".

Perhaps.  I think people tend to overreact to small datasets.  This gen has been different, but so was the Wii generation and everyone thought motion controls were the future.  When was the last time the wii remote, eye toy and kinect was a focal point?

I'll wait to see what happens with the S2 before jumping to strong conclusions.

He's just excited because he think graphics not being important anymore will benefit nintendo when it just means the death of console hardware in 2 more gens and everything will just be on PC. 

zeldaring said:
LegitHyperbole said:

What an odd move this far into a generation. Personally as a PS4 PRO player I get yet another reason to not upgrade. Are generation leaps on the way to the grave? 

Sorry but unless you are struggling with money badly, you should have upgraded. consoles last for 5-6 years and selling your ps4 pro would get you 150-200$ you will get some exclusives as well, and the SSD and 60fps do make a huge difference in gameplay and the way the game looks. in the end you're gonna upgrade and you just wasted years of playing on inferior hardware for nothing.  we are  talking about a 250$ investment to have games load much faster and run much better for 5 

I'll consider upgrading when I see a new PRO or a price cut or both but no, there is such little benifet to upgrading it's embarrassing and so many beifets to wait. I'll get the generation on the cheap and if Sony does the essentials deal again with a pile of exclusives for free, why not wait till PS6? I'll not make the mistake of buying a game out of hype only to be disappointed. I'll not waste money. I'll only have a list of great games to play for my future self at a fraction of the cost. 

The two reasons I have for upgrading is to play Balduars gate 3, the only game I'm actually in a rush to play and getting the most from PS freebies and the PS+ catalogue. I'm happy out where I am, save the money and I'm sick of being a cash cow for Sony. I'm happy out where I am for now, I'll miss the Helldivers and other MP games but sure I'm a lonesome gamer anyway. 

Dp

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Perhaps.  I think people tend to overreact to small datasets.  This gen has been different, but so was the Wii generation and everyone thought motion controls were the future.  When was the last time the wii remote, eye toy and kinect was a focal point?

I'll wait to see what happens with the S2 before jumping to strong conclusions.

He's just excited because he think graphics not being important anymore will benefit nintendo when it just means the death of console hardware in 2 more gens and everything will just be on PC. 

Why should Nintendo care about the death of traditional home consoles. That's Sony's problem (won't be MS' for too much longer). Sony is also in for a rude awakening if they think they are going to be the defacto PC storefront over Steam, good luck with that. That's all bad news for them. 

Another game I didn't mention is an obvious one ... GTAV is literally a PS3/360 game that's still selling 11 years later, two entire console generations later. 

Imagine like Tekken 2 from Playstation 1 being the 2nd or 3rd most popular game on the PS3/360 11 years later and two generations past, lol, it would be absurd to think about then, but this can happen now and will become more and more common because people don't care that much about the technology aspect in itself. You can take a PS3 era game, up the resolution a bit and it's good enough to sit next to modern games. This will get even worse with successive gens, PS4 games age even better than PS3-era games and so on and so forth. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 05 June 2024

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
zeldaring said:

Sorry but unless you are struggling with money badly, you should have upgraded. consoles last for 5-6 years and selling your ps4 pro would get you 150-200$ you will get some exclusives as well, and the SSD and 60fps do make a huge difference in gameplay and the way the game looks. in the end you're gonna upgrade and you just wasted years of playing on inferior hardware for nothing.  we are  talking about a 250$ investment to have games load much faster and run much better for 5 years. 

I'll consider upgrading when I see a new PRO or a price cut but no, there is such little benifet to upgrading it's embarrassing and so many beifets to wait. I'll get the generation on the cheap and if Sony does the essentials deal again with a pile of exclusives for free, why not wait till PS6? 

The two reasons I have for upgrading is to play Balduars gate 3, the only game I'm actually in a rush to play and getting the most from PS freebies and the PS+ catalogue. I'm happy out where I am, save the money and I'm sick of being a cash cow for Sony. I'm happy out where I am for now, I'll miss the Helldivers and other MP games but sure I'm a lonesome gamer anyway. 

I don't think we will see ps6 till 2029 cause of diminishing returns , like we were suppose to see switch pro or switch 2 in 2023 or 2024, now it's till 2025. Believe me i'm cheap as heck so i sold my pro and got got a ps5 which cost me 250$ more and well worth it for playing every game i own at the double the FPS, much faster load times and better graphics then the few exclusives are just icing on the cake, but it's you choice. if you really wanna save money PC is the way if you know what you are doing.

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

Why should Nintendo care about the death of traditional home consoles. That's Sony's problem (won't be MS' for too much longer). Sony is also in for a rude awakening if they think they are going to be the defacto PC storefront over Steam, good luck with that. That's all bad news for them. 

Another game I didn't mention is an obvious one ... GTAV is literally a PS3/360 game that's still selling 11 years later, two entire console generations later. 

Imagine like Tekken 2 from Playstation 1 being the 2nd or 3rd most popular game on the PS3/360 11 years later and two generations past, lol, it would be absurd to think about then, but this can happen now and will become more and more common because people don't care that much about the technology aspect in itself. You can take a PS3 era game, up the resolution a bit and it's good enough to sit next to modern games. This will get even worse with successive gens, PS4 games age even better than PS3-era games and so on and so forth. 

it's not just traditional home consoles. why would people upgrade hardware when they don't care about graphics. like when switch 3 comes out and it's ps5 level or better then every game should run on switch 2 lol, and especially in handheld gaming the graphics difference won't notable. it will be the death of al console hardware, or at the very least a very declining market. lets just imagine switch 2 is a small graphical bump to switch 1 then it would probably fail or just sell 70 million.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

it's not just traditional home consoles. why would people upgrade hardware when they don't care about graphics. like when switch 3 comes out and it's ps5 level or better then every game should run on switch 2 lol, and especially in handheld gaming the graphics difference won't notable. it will be the death of al consolel hardware, or at the very least a very declining market. lets just imagine switch 2 is a small graphical bump to switch 1 then it would probably fail or just sell 70 million.

Because games will stop releasing on their current system.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

it's not just traditional home consoles. why would people upgrade hardware when they don't care about graphics. like when switch 3 comes out and it's ps5 level or better then every game should run on switch 2 lol, and especially in handheld gaming the graphics difference won't notable. it will be the death of al consolel hardware, or at the very least a very declining market.

People upgrade because basically they know their existing game ecosystem is tied to that platform and they're going to have to change over eventually. It's become like upgrading your phone, no one upgrades their phone and then starts going hysterical over the upgrades, they're subtle upgrades, a few quality of life features, but they don't really change how one uses the phone. 

The days of "OMG! IMMMA buy this Dreamcast becuz Soul Calibur arcade quality graphix or Ridge Racer on PS2 BLEW MY MIND" though is what's stuck in the past. That's 1990s/2000s era thinking, people don't think like that anymore, especially this new generation of younger kids. 

Case in point how many times did we hear "well people are just waiting for killer graphic titles on PS5/XSX to finally show off what the systems can do" ... and several of those games have come and gone ... and underperformed or flat out flopped. No one is buying games just for graphics. Even something like Starfield had a one of the largest budget's in the history of the industry, big marketing, from a big ticket studio, very nice graphics and what ... something like that underperformed and barely caused any kind of bump for XBox consoles, on Steam the player engagement was somewhat mediocre given the scale and hype behind the game. The equivalent of that game in the PS2 or PS3 era would've sold huge and sold systems, today it's not, because the market is quite different. 

This market, they're fine upgrading the hardware, but they'll just go right back to playing ... Fortnite on their PS5 and wait for whatever social media/Youtube influencers tells them is the next hot GaaS title is for the next little while (Helldivers 2 or that low budget Pokemon rip off or whatever). They're fixated on that, not "well this game is using Nanite on Unreal Engine 5" ... lol, most people don't even know what that means nor do they care if you explain it to them. 

PS4-era graphics frankly got too good. You can look at a PS4 game like Horizon Forbidden West and it doesn't take much to imagine what it would look like with borderline photorealistic graphics and it's just sorta like "ok whatever" at this point. It's not some huge gap and fundamentally I think people are understanding too that it's just a prettier version of what they're already used to and that just doesn't hold the same sway it once did. 

KLXVER said:
zeldaring said:

it's not just traditional home consoles. why would people upgrade hardware when they don't care about graphics. like when switch 3 comes out and it's ps5 level or better then every game should run on switch 2 lol, and especially in handheld gaming the graphics difference won't notable. it will be the death of al consolel hardware, or at the very least a very declining market. lets just imagine switch 2 is a small graphical bump to switch 1 then it would probably fail or just sell 70 million.

Because games will stop releasing on their current system.

As games get much higher budgets this will stop happening as well. Totk ran on toaster and took 6 years now imagine if they wanna make something like that with high budget graphics. Sony could not afford to do it with ps5 and nintendo will probably do the same, especially when the hardware like switch 2 will be capable of running almost every switch 3 game.