Breath of the Wild 11 28.21%

Tears of the Kingdom 3 7.69%

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 7.69%

Xenoblade Chronicles X 3 7.69%

Twilight Princess 3 7.69%

Total:39

LTTP

Around the Network

I 'agreed' the post that mentioned Ocarina of Time. I don't think it is much of a surprise that I'd vote for Ocarina of Time. It is basically perfect, and the magnum opus of Nintendo and Miyamoto. I do also agree with the votes for Mario 64, a true milestone.

Super Mario 64

Super Mario 64

It gave us what no other publisher could give, by leaps and bounds.

zeldaring said:
firebush03 said:

Super Mario 64. Arguably the most revolutionary title for the entire gaming industry.

- This game would play a very important role in the creation of the N64 controller...which doesn't mean much until you realize just how much this controller introduced to the standard controllers of the time. If you were to pull up an image of an SNES/Sega Saturn/PS1 controller and put it side-by-side to the N64, there are two features which immediately stick out: (i) Analogue stick, (ii) C-buttons. Though the latter might be slightly less revolutions, the former was a massive leap for the industry! For what reason?...

- This title laid the foundation for how game devs should *correctly* approach creating 3D gaming environments. Referencing my previous point, analogue controls are far better than "tank" controls (which devs at the time were unaware of). Additionally, there should be buttons which the player can press in order to control the camera ("R" button can be used for recalibrating the camera behind your character, whereas the C-buttons may provide the player with different perspectives). And looking beyond just the controller, there were many design choices such as providing the character with shadows (depth perception was not a challenge in 2D titles) which would be introduced with Mario 64.

- This title single-handedly gave birth to what is generally called the "Golden Age of 3D Platforms and Collect-a-thons". Examples of this can be seen with Banjo Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Conker, (later) Rachel & Clank, etc etc.

- Here's a list of *some* of the ways in which Mario's movement would be changed with this game: Introduction of the (i) ground pound, (ii) dive, (iii) triple jump, (iv) wall jump, (v) long jump, (vi) side jump, (viii) etc etc. No other 3D nor 2D title has ever re-constructed the movement of Mario in such a wide-reaching manner. And it would be with this title in which Mario would break free from linear progression for the first time, embracing a more “sandbox” sort of style.

…And I could certainly keep on going, though I think my argument should be understood by now. Though SM64 may not be my favorite game of all time (as much as I do love it, there certainly exist far better experiences), it was a monumental feat for its time.

No game will ever capture how i felt playing mario 64 for the first time. it really just had it all for its time, basically the perfect game while being revolutionary. OOT is up there but when you think about it, other then bringing the world to life in 3d the controls were not great, compared to something like mario 64 where they brought the world to life and mario still has probably the best controls of any platformer and most moves in his arsenal. 

This is mostly due to the limitations of the N64 controller, which in my opinion was a design failure. Zelda OoT brings very innovative, revolutionary and complex elements, but N64 controller limitations hurts the game.

The lack of a second analog stick restricted camera control in OoT. We were forced to rely on the "Z-targeting" to lock onto enemies and adjust the camera, a workaround that was innovative but limited in flexibility. In contrast, having a second analog stick would have allowed players to control the camera independently, providing a smoother and more immersive exploration experience. 

Futhermore, Nintendo 64 stick is Just bad. its flaws became apparent with extended use. The plastic-on-plastic mechanism led to rapid degradation, causing the stick to become loose and imprecise, also, It breaks easily and is limited in fuctions.

There are more desing flaws to point about N64 controller, but i will stop here...

With all that Said, DualShock controller’s introduction of dual analog sticks directly addressed these issues, offering a more refined control scheme that allowed for simultaneous movement, camera adjustment and more. This setup has since become standard, and with the revolutionary controller introduced by Sony it was possible to evolve in the various concepts introduced in OoT, but which were unfortunately limited by Nintendo's flawed desing.

Last edited by Manlytears - on 29 May 2024

Around the Network
Manlytears said:
zeldaring said:

No game will ever capture how i felt playing mario 64 for the first time. it really just had it all for its time, basically the perfect game while being revolutionary. OOT is up there but when you think about it, other then bringing the world to life in 3d the controls were not great, compared to something like mario 64 where they brought the world to life and mario still has probably the best controls of any platformer and most moves in his arsenal. 

This is mostly due to the limitations of the N64 controller, which in my opinion was a design failure. Zelda OoT brings very innovative, revolutionary and complex elements, but the absence of a second analogue hurts the game.

The lack of a second analog stick restricted camera control in OoT. We were forced to rely on the "Z-targeting" to lock onto enemies and adjust the camera, a workaround that was innovative but limited in flexibility. In contrast, having a second analog stick would have allowed players to control the camera independently, providing a smoother and more immersive exploration experience. 

Futhermore, Nintendo 64 stick is Just bad. its flaws became apparent with extended use. The plastic-on-plastic mechanism led to rapid degradation, causing the stick to become loose and imprecise, also, It breaks easily and is limited in fuctions.

With all that Said, DualShock controller’s introduction of dual analog sticks directly addressed these issues, offering a more refined control scheme that allowed for simultaneous movement, camera adjustment and more. This setup has since become standard, and with the revolutionary controller introduced by Sony it was possible to evolve in the various concepts introduced in OoT, but which were unfortunately limited by Nintendo's flawed desing.

That's the thing and it why mario 64 is the best game they ever made. By the time dual analogs were a thing so the game didn't have that revolutionary gameplay that Mario 64 had and don't get me wrong oot was a amazing game for its time.

Maybe not the best, but most important one - Donkey Kong arcade.

(in a nutshell, after Radar Scope, a fairly generic shoot'em up, flopped pretty hard, Miyamoto was tasked with making something for Nintendo to try to salvage all that Radar Scope hardware that was sitting collecting dust - and the legend was born).

Think I need to nominate Super Mario Galaxy.

There are other Nintendo games I like more. There are other Mario games I like more. There is even another Mario Galaxy game I like more. But the first Mario Galaxy is a game that impressed me in such a way that it sparked a new joy for games into a (at that time) young adult. 

The platform genre took a step in realizing the true potential of 3D platforming jumping from every angle of floating platforms. 

The music is fantastic and for the first time Nintendo used a symphony orchestra for the soundtrack, bringing out the best sounding game music in a Nintendo game up until that point.

The game looked absolutely fantastic even if it get a dated look on modern high res monitors. The vibrant colors and space setting make the game pop with joy like nothing else on the comparably week Wii.

Most games I focus on clearing the objective, finish the quest, get the next level and so on. Some sandbox games other things to do take up my time. But Super Mario Galaxy is the only game I get my gaming fix by just running and jumping around. The basic movements of Mario in the Galaxy games is such a bliss to control that all else feels like extra. And that there is so much extra, even a compelling bit of story (in a Mario game?) elevates it to the best game Nintendo has ever developed. 

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Switch!!!

Super Mario Bros.

Why?

Because without it, there is no Nintendo.