Super Mario 64 5 12.82%

Ocarina of Time 11 28.21%

Breath of the Wild 11 28.21%

Tears of the Kingdom 3 7.69%

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 7.69%

Xenoblade Chronicles X 3 7.69%

Twilight Princess 3 7.69%

Total:39

Super Mario 64. And to take it one step further, I'd argue this is the most revolutionary title in the entire industry's history.

- This game would play pivotal role in the creation of the N64 controller...which may not seem like much until you realize just how revolutionary this controller was. For instance, if you were to pull up an image of an SNES/Sega Saturn/PS1 controller and put it side-by-side with that of the N64, there are two features which would stick out immediately: (i) Analogue stick, (ii) C-buttons. (Though the latter may not seem as big, the former certainly was groundbreaking for its time.)

- This title laid the foundation for how game devs should *correctly* approach creating 3D experiences. Referencing my previous point, analogue controls provided the alternative to tank control, and the C-buttons/"R"-button gave players an important layer of control over the camera ("R" button can be used for recalibrating the camera behind your character, whereas the C-buttons may provide the player with different perspectives). And looking beyond just the controller, there were many design choices such as equipped the character with a shadows (as a means to assist with depth perception) which would debut with the launch of Mario 64.

- This title single-handedly gave birth to what is generally considered the "Golden Age of 3D Platforms and Collect-a-thons". Examples of this can be seen with Banjo Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Conker, (later) Rachel & Clank, etc etc.

- Mario would be see the introduction of a wide variety of new movement options: (i) Ground pound, (ii) dive, (iii) triple jump, (iv) wall jump, (v) long jump, (vi) side jump, (viii) etc etc. No other 3D nor 2D title has ever re-constructed the movement of Mario in such a wide-reaching manner.

- It would be with this title in which Mario would break free from linear progression for the first time, embracing a more “sandbox” sort of style. (Though far less notable than the prior points, it is certainly still worth mentioning.)

…And I could certainly keep on going, though I think my argument should be understood by now. Though SM64 may not be my favorite game of all time (as much as I do love it, there certainly exist far better experiences), it was a monumental feat for its time.

Last edited by firebush03 - on 28 May 2024

Around the Network

TLOZ: The Wind Waker

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

Super Mario All Stars.

I know it is a bit cheating, but these are the best versions with QoL improvements like saves of some of the most influential and best games ever.

This game is peak Nintendo focusing on excellent controls, fantastic presentation and music, made for gamers of all ages and are simply fun fun fun.

Even though I ranked TotK highest on my last top 50, I gotta go with Super Smash Bros. Brawl because I'm not sure anybody else would.

Easily one of their most ambitious games ever and it doesn't recieve enough acknowledgement for that. Subspace is probably still the highest bar for a cross-over, a real characters-actually-interacting-cross-over, in any game ever, one that I’m not sure will ever be topped. It also had some of the best music, the best new additions, the best modes and etc. etc. It certainly wasn't the best for competetive play, but in most other regards this game was incredible and in my eyes even ten years later with twice the roster size Ultimate struggles to beat it for me.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Twilight Princess with wii mote controls. It should be something objective like Supermario bros 3 though which withstood the test of time.

Around the Network

Super Metroid. It's just that good.

I'm gonna nominate Metroid Prime.

From its meticulous attention to detail to its powerful atmosphere, it places you in its world more effectively than almost any other game I've ever played, while also perfectly and faithfully translating the series formula into the third dimension.

The question is kind of tricky because it does not necessarily mean the best game. If we’re talking about the best game my choice is definitely SMB3. But the best game ever developed period, is without a doubt BotW, by a lot . I’ve never experienced a better realized 3D world than in BotW. The way the game reacts to every action of mine is unmatched in any 3D game.

firebush03 said:

Super Mario 64. Arguably the most revolutionary title for the industry of gaming.

- The development of this game went hand-in-hand with the creation of the N64. With this, one of the big innovations we would see was the introduction of analogue control. And looking beyond just that, it was with the N64 in which the C-buttons (Camera-buttons) was first introduced, the “R” button would be mapped to the now industry-standard choice of button for recalibrating the camera behind a character, etc.

- Examining the game design of this title, it would be with this game in which the groundwork for 3D video game development would be established: (i) Use of shadows to assist players in depth perception, (ii) Introduction of far more smooth control scheme in comparison to the standard “tank controls” from the time, (iii) etc.

- Looking at the impact this title had on the industry as well the N64, the industry would see what is generally considered the “Golden Age of 3D Platformers/Collectathons”. Examples include Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo Kazooie, Conker, (later on) Rachet & Clank, etc.

- From the perspective of how this title evolved the Mario formula, it would be with this game in which the (i) ground pound, (ii) dive, (iii) triple jump, (iv) wall jump, (v) long jump, (vi) side jump, (viii) etc etc., would all be introduced: No other 3D nor 2D Mario title had ever re-constructed the movement of Mario in such a revolutionary way. And would be with this title in which Mario would break free from linear progression for the first time, embracing a more “sandbox” sort of style.

…And I could go on-and-on with regards to all that this game did. I won’t argue that this is Nintendo’s greatest game (that title is reserved for Zelda TotK/BotW), though it certainly is the greatest achievement in their development of video games without question IMO.

It gotta be Super Mario 64. I could go on and on about this game but firebush03 have already done it, nicely done

I'll nominate Skyward Sword, for having the best storytelling I've seen in a first-party Nintendo game. They have failed to deliver compelling narratives in recent years, it's an aspect where they've taken a massive step back.