By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April Circana (NPD) 2024 Thread + Predictions

zorg1000 said:
Norion said:

I mean Sony missed their last PS5 forecast by quite a bit so the analysts at these companies are not infallible. I don't fully know what's to come of course but when looking at the trends you get a good idea of what's gonna happen. It's clear there's gonna be no games on the level of TOTK this year for example since all the huge stuff will be developed for the Switch 2 at this point and it's a fair assumption since the highly reported on rumour was it originally being intended for late this year and a delay that big would be surprising.

There is definitely a good chance they will miss their target but I would say let’s wait until next month’s Direct because they wouldn’t make that forecast if they didn’t have a reason to think it was possible.

They had to know April/May would be down by a lot considering Mario Movie+TotK released last year and this year has Endless Ocean+Paper Mario. They have to have something significant coming or else the forecast makes no sense.

Sure though even with a good holiday lineup I don't really think it's feasible for the reasons I've brought up like the deficit it'll have after this quarter and the Switch 2 increasingly depressing sales as the fiscal year goes on. And there's surely not gonna be anything as significant as the combination of TOTK and the Mario film cause those happening back to back was absolutely massive.

That would be a good lineup but considering that Pokemon Legends Z-A is probably gonna be a cross-gen game that one won't help out the Switch much and by November the Switch 2 will either be announced or close enough to launching that information about it will be spreading far and depressing hardware sales since many people would prefer waiting a bit longer. This point is particularly noteworthy since the majority of Switch sales are the OLED model and it's clear a lot of those are being sold to existing owners based on the slowing growth of the annual userbase and people are gonna be way less likely to spend a few hundred on an upgrade when they can just wait a bit and get a way bigger upgrade.

The issue is that it would be very strange for them to suddenly do a huge price cut like that when they've gone 7 years without doing any and even released a more expensive model that has the same level of power. With the Switch on its way out a few million extra sales for it but a big reduction in revenue doesn't seem like a good trade. I can see them cutting the price after the successor comes out though so they have a low cost option for a while.

There is nothing that hints at Legends Z-A being a cross-gen (as in launch cross-gen). It will still be playable on the Successor given the rumored backwards compatibility. But all signs point to a 3D Mario launch. Hence no need for launch cross-gens, like what most people say on here for Metroid Prime 4, or Legends Z-A. Those two maybe be playable immediately on the Successor but it'll be through the Switch cartridge/software because they'll be released earlier than the Successor. 

Personally, I would love to see the Successor launch in the Spring, but considering that the FY only had Switch I can only assume the Successor must launch after March 31, 2025. And the latest being the 3rd week of November 2025. Earlier is better considering it could be difficult to find, and it help bring positive advertising through word of mouth to many for the holiday season.

Giving what you said some thought, and I agree maybe they won't do a full $100 price cut immediately, but I can see them announcing a Summer Sale $50 off all Switch units (NS: $249, NSL: $149, NSOLED: $299) and release a Summer bundle of 2-3 games for same price as the console used to be (NS: $299, NSL: $199, NSOLED: $349). Then continue to announce the Summer Sale but rebrand it as the Fall and Holiday Sale, each with 2-3 different bundles. Then after Dec 31, 2024 they announce another $50 off. Leading to the $100 off price cut, and multiple bundles. 

Either way there will for sure be a price cut once the Successor comes out, that way the Switch won't be "competing" at its price level.

I talk about the price cuts because it doesn't make much sense on why their revenue goal is so low. Which is why price cut, and bundles make sense.

It having a full blown Switch 2 version or not won't really change the impact much as long as it releases near its launch and is playable on it. With the rumours it would be surprising if it's any later than April and I doubt a full on price cut but temporary deals and bundles being pushed harder should happen yeah. I wonder if they'll cut the price of the OLED model or just discontinue it after the successor comes out cause rumours point to it being LCD so it would have a worse screen than that model if that's the case.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

Nintendo is always revising their HW forecasts, so no reason to latch on to their 2024 prediction as market gospel or an indicative of their future strategy.

I don’t think anybody is taking the forecast as gospel but forecasts are a good way to gauge what they have on the horizon.

Last fiscal year had two of their biggest franchises release in 3D Zelda & 2D Mario along with the Mario Movie having a Pokemon Go effect for Switch. On top of that, they had a steady supply of smaller support titles like Pikmin, Detective Pikachu, WarioWare, Mario RPG, Mario vs DK & Princess Peach.

As of now the only titles confirmed for this fiscal year are Endless Ocean, Paper Mario & Luigi’s Mansion, all releasing in Q1. Nintendo wouldn’t be expecting a small drop for hardware/software if the biggest titles were GC & 3DS remasters.

Even if they miss their forecast by a good amount and only ship 10-11 million, they clearly have something relatively big planned for later in the fiscal year. Whether that’s new releases in major franchises, hardware revision, price cut or a combo of them remains to be seen but there is definitely going to be something notable.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It having a full blown Switch 2 version or not won't really change the impact much as long as it releases near its launch and is playable on it. With the rumours it would be surprising if it's any later than April and I doubt a full on price cut but temporary deals and bundles being pushed harder should happen yeah. I wonder if they'll cut the price of the OLED model or just discontinue it after the successor comes out cause rumours point to it being LCD so it would have a worse screen than that model if that's the case.

I think Legends Z-A will have an impact. Just about the same as Legends Arceus, or a bit more since Mega Evolution will return (the only gimmick that people loved). It should sell near 15M copies.

I cant see them dropping the one console that is the main reason why it's hardware numbers haven't dropped off the face of the Earth. I can see them dropping either the Lite or the V2, maybe even both since those are a small portion of their sales.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Japan Switch hardware sales are holding up so much better than the U.S and Europe, April Circana sales for April were 130K and Famitsu sales from April 1 to 28 were 250K (71.9K + 71.3K + 64.3K + 43.0K).

ShadowLink93 said:

Japan Switch hardware sales are holding up so much better than the U.S and Europe, April Circana sales for April were 130K and Famitsu sales from April 1 to 28 were 250K (71.9K + 71.3K + 64.3K + 43.0K).

It's crazy to see the Switch holding so well in the Japan while sales are falling so much everywhere else we get regular data from. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:

Which is exactly why talking about fiscal year goal is simply premature. Japan is carrying Switch and it's believed that there could be some small form of exporting going on because you could literally buy a Switch in Japan and import for cheaper than buying a Switch in the US. This was discussed last year even until the holiday season had some decent bundles on Switch hardware. Switch in Japan could be selling enough to carry it this and maybe even next quarter. I think Nintendo has maybe a roughly 2 million Q1, 2.5 million Q2 (a decline), 7 million Q3 (roughly the same), and 2.5 million Q4 (Pokemon Legends ZA). This year I'm thinking we see more bundles and price cuts/new revision to carry the holiday season.

Shtinamin_ said:

I think Legends Z-A will have an impact. Just about the same as Legends Arceus, or a bit more since Mega Evolution will return (the only gimmick that people loved). It should sell near 15M copies.

I cant see them dropping the one console that is the main reason why it's hardware numbers haven't dropped off the face of the Earth. I can see them dropping either the Lite or the V2, maybe even both since those are a small portion of their sales.

By impact I mean on Switch hardware sales. Less people will buy one for it if the successor is already out cause most people will just buy that instead. Nintendo will be fine with Switch hardware numbers dropping off big time after the successor launches though cause they'll want the install base of it to grow as quickly as possible and at that point software sales will be what matters for the original. The reason I can see them potentially discontinuing the OLED mode first is it wouldn't be ideal if one of the old models they're selling is better than the new one in a significant way that being the screen. Of course this won't matter if the successor has OLED from the get go and it would be nice if it does instead of making people wait a few years.

Playstation fans: "There is nothing worth playing on Game Pass".

Also Playstation fans:

chakkra said:

Playstation fans: "There is nothing worth playing on Game Pass".

Also Playstation fans:

Why would PS fans waste money to sign up to game pass to play fallout and MLB? fallout 4 has been out on playstation for 9 years they were already playing it way before game pass was even a thing same with MLB series playstation players have the whole MLB series available on PS way before it even made its way to game pass its even made by a PS studio LOL. The only 2 games you have on that list are the Grounded and SOT which MS decided on their own to release on playstation so then now why would PS fans need game pass when they could play both games on playstation as well too.