By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April Circana (NPD) 2024 Thread + Predictions

Norion said:
Phenomajp13 said:

I see that fiscal year prediction from Nintendo lives rent free in some of your heads. Hardware is struggling for all of them but I think software and price adjustments will fix alot of this.

I know, right? The utter gall for people to bring up their opinion on a fiscal year forecast in a sales forum. Next we'll have people talking about Mario in a Nintendo forum.

Lol, this is one month of sales in a single territory. There is no correlation by any stretch of the imagination because this is obviously not enough data to even comment on how realistic or not the fiscal year goal is. Like I said rent free.

Around the Network
Phenomajp13 said:
Norion said:

I know, right? The utter gall for people to bring up their opinion on a fiscal year forecast in a sales forum. Next we'll have people talking about Mario in a Nintendo forum.

Lol, this is one month of sales in a single territory. There is no correlation by any stretch of the imagination because this is obviously not enough data to even comment on how realistic or not the fiscal year goal is. Like I said rent free.

it also down 70% in europe.

Phenomajp13 said:
Norion said:

I clearly mentioned Europe as well so I dunno how you missed that and it's just basic logic that the massive declines are gonna continue for at least the next couple months since Nintendo has nothing going on right now that compares to the significant boost that the Mario film and TOTK gave the Switch last year from April till June. In fact the decline for May worldwide should be even bigger since that was the Switch's 3rd best month last year. 

And again to say something like that about someone occasionally bringing up a sales forecast on a sales forum is just absurd. 

Norion said:
Phenomajp13 said:

I clearly mentioned Europe as well so I dunno how you missed that and it's just basic logic that the massive declines are gonna continue for at least the next couple months since Nintendo has nothing going on right now that compares to the significant boost that the Mario film and TOTK gave the Switch last year from April till June. In fact the decline for May worldwide should be even bigger since that was the Switch's 3rd best month last year. 

And again to say something like that about someone occasionally bringing up a sales forecast on a sales forum is just absurd. 

I missed that because I never read your initial post to begin with, you replied to me clearly assuming my post was at you, which it wasnt. I only read your reply to me. I have noticed it's fiscal year goal has sat in people's mind ever since it was made. I know why of course but the obsession over it is too funny.

Anyways no whats upsurd is you making a big deal out of a single quarter. This is a single quarter which is already predicted to be down, since clearly Nintendo has already predicted a decline for the entire year and knows they released a massive piece of software last year at this time. We literally have no idea what the remaining 3 quarters hold. Tell me, do you think there is anything Nintendo can do to make it? If yes, then why post nonsense such as "basic logic that the massive declines are gonna continue for at least the next couple months"? This reads as if there is no chance. If you still believe there is something Nintendo can do, then why focus or even bring up the goal if clearly you are smart enough to realize two or three months will simply not have that much affect on the overall goal? I am not saying you can't discuss the goal, but talks of whether it will make it or not are premature at best.

Last edited by Phenomajp13 - on 29 May 2024

Phenomajp13 said:
Norion said:

I missed that because I never read your initial post to begin with, you replied to me clearly assuming my post was at you, which it wasnt. I only read your reply to me. I have noticed it's fiscal year goal has sat in people's mind ever since it was made. I know why of course but the obsession over it is too funny.

Anyways no whats upsurd is you making a big deal out of a single quarter. This is a single quarter which is already predicted to be down, since clearly Nintendo has already predicted a decline for the entire year and knows they released a massive piece of software last year at this time. We literally have no idea what the remaining 3 quarters hold. Tell me, do you think there is anything Nintendo can do to make it? If yes, then why post nonsense such as "basic logic that the massive declines are gonna continue for at least the next couple months"? This reads as if there is no chance. If you still believe there is something Nintendo can do, then why focus or even bring up the goal if clearly you are smart enough to realize two or three months will simply not have that much affect on the overall goal? I am not saying you can't discuss the goal, but talks of whether it will make it or not are premature at best.

That's pretty strange then since I was literally the only person to bring up the forecast in this thread before that post. Who exactly is obsessed with it? This is the first time I've brought it up in weeks and I've not seen much talk about it lately.

The first quarter being down massively is obviously a big deal since that means they'll have to make it up elsewhere to keep the overall decline small and with this year having nothing on the level of the Mario film and TOTK and the Switch 2 not being that far off indicates that every quarter should be down significantly with the only potential exception being Q4 since that one was relatively low last time. Though the Switch 2 will be fully known about by then which will work against this Q4. 

The only way Nintendo can potentially make it is with a big price cut, not just a standard one but cutting it by like a full 100 since a regular one would only have so much impact this late in its life and I highly doubt they'll do that. I brought up the goal since things are already looking bad for it and saying that a full 25% of the year being down massively won't have that much affect on the overall goal is ridiculous due to what I said in the last paragraph. There's nothing wrong with speculating over whether it'll make it this early since the circumstances of this fiscal year are already fairly well known and it's an interesting topic to think about.

Last edited by Norion - on 29 May 2024

Around the Network

Obviously Switch is down a lot compared to last year. We had the Mario Red model and Zelda TotK editions last year during April, that really bumped the Switch Sales. Plus Mario movie bump.

We also had Nintendo conforming a Switch Successor would be announced sometime this financial year this April.

Norion said:
Phenomajp13 said:

That's pretty strange then since I was literally the only person to bring up the forecast in this thread before that post. Who exactly is obsessed with it? This is the first time I've brought it up in weeks and I've not seen much talk about it lately.

The first quarter being down massively is obviously a big deal since that means they'll have to make it up elsewhere to keep the overall decline small and with this year having nothing on the level of the Mario film and TOTK and the Switch 2 not being that far off indicates that every quarter should be down significantly with the only potential exception being Q4 since that one was relatively low last time. Though the Switch 2 will be fully known about by then which will work against this Q4. 

The only way Nintendo can potentially make it is with a big price cut, not just a standard one but cutting it by like a full 100 since a regular one would only have so much impact this late in its life and I highly doubt they'll do that. I brought up the goal since things are already looking bad for it and saying that a full 25% of the year being down massively won't have that much affect on the overall goal is ridiculous due to what I said in the last paragraph. There's nothing wrong with speculating over whether it'll make it this early since the circumstances of this fiscal year are already fairly well known and it's an interesting topic to think about.

Honestly I was coming from another site along with a few post here including yours but breezed over it. Honestly wasn't targeting you but I do understand why you would think that since your post is the only one mentioning. So my mistake on that, was more venting but haven't seen you post about it before so you are not whom I was referring to over obsessing. 

Regardless no, you are flat out incorrect because you seem to fail to comprehend you don't know what the last 3 quarters hold. So nothing is well known. You continue to talk about what boosted last Q1 with the Mario movie and ToTK. Those will make competing with last Q1 impossible. Q2 2024 to Q4 2024 greatly depends on what Nintendo's plans are. Nintendo clearly believes Q2 to Q4 2024 should be able to match Q2 to Q4 2023, so I can't wait to see what they have in store. Also, $100 price cuts aren't the only thing lol. Another remodel could be what they have in store, but personally I think a $50 cut, more software, and more bundles would keep Switch similar. Again you are jumping the gun and don't have any idea what July to March 2025 have in store. 

Again I'm not saying you can't speculate but you seem to clearly be leaning towards no chance along with having the audacity to tell me nothing can be done besides a $100.00 cut lol. This is why people get it wrong so much, they tend to believe everything they thought of is the only route to take. Switch had no chance of selling 160 million according to many because they didn't expect Switch successor to release as late as 2025. Of course that happened and now all we here now is who expected that? That's what I am trying to display to you now, we don't know what is in store and what Nintendo has planned. So you are acting prematurely. 

But I love to speculate, so what do you think of this? Metroid Prime 4 and a price cut (US and Europe only, 50 on Oled & Standard) in September. Super Mario Party 2 in October, New Donkey Kong in November with the new attraction opening. More aggressive bundling such as two game bundling. Pokemon Legends ZA in March 2025. Sprinkle in some smaller titles in July, August, January, and February and you have a heck of a fiscal year. 

Norion said:
Phenomajp13 said:

I think that most of the talk about the FY goals was earlier this month. I at least already have expectations for how they will reach their goal.

• Price cuts (like you said $100), I agree with that. Switch $199, Switch Lite $99, Switch OLED $249
  • Bundles with top 5 best selling franchises (not including Pokémon). Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with Booster Course Pass, Tears of the Kingdom (or Breath of the Wild), Super Mario Bros Wonder (or Super Mario Odyssey), Animal Crossing, Splatoon 3 with DLC.
  • New solid in-house game releases each month
  • Remakes

Either way the FY hardware goal is still very reachable.

April (not including Rest of the World)522,448
FY Hardware goal13.5M
Total need to reach (total needed to sell/ship each month)12.98M (1.08M)

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Phenomajp13 said:
Norion said:

Honestly I was coming from another site along with a few post here including yours but breezed over it. Honestly wasn't targeting you but I do understand why you would think that since your post is the only one mentioning. So my mistake on that, was more venting but haven't seen you post about it before so you are not whom I was referring to over obsessing. 

Regardless no, you are flat out incorrect because you seem to fail to comprehend you don't know what the last 3 quarters hold. So nothing is well known. You continue to talk about what boosted last Q1 with the Mario movie and ToTK. Those will make competing with last Q1 impossible. Q2 2024 to Q4 2024 greatly depends on what Nintendo's plans are. Nintendo clearly believes Q2 to Q4 2024 should be able to match Q2 to Q4 2023, so I can't wait to see what they have in store. Also, $100 price cuts aren't the only thing lol. Another remodel could be what they have in store, but personally I think a $50 cut, more software, and more bundles would keep Switch similar. Again you are jumping the gun and don't have any idea what July to March 2025 have in store. 

Again I'm not saying you can't speculate but you seem to clearly be leaning towards no chance along with having the audacity to tell me nothing can be done besides a $100.00 cut lol. This is why people get it wrong so much, they tend to believe everything they thought of is the only route to take. Switch had no chance of selling 160 million according to many because they didn't expect Switch successor to release as late as 2025. Of course that happened and now all we here now is who expected that? That's what I am trying to display to you now, we don't know what is in store and what Nintendo has planned. So you are acting prematurely. 

But I love to speculate, so what do you think of this? Metroid Prime 4 and a price cut (US and Europe only, 50 on Oled & Standard) in September. Super Mario Party 2 in October, New Donkey Kong in November with the new attraction opening. More aggressive bundling such as two game bundling. Pokemon Legends ZA in March 2025. Sprinkle in some smaller titles in July, August, January, and February and you have a heck of a fiscal year. 

Fair enough for the first part and if Nintendo believes that then they're in for a reality check since everything is pointing towards Q2 and Q3 being down as well. The Switch was down compared to last January-March so it's completely expected for it to also be down for the 2nd half of this year when it's gonna be down for the entire first half. For Q4 the Switch 2 will be announced by then and should have a release date with its launch games having been shown off which points to Q4 being down too.

Another model would help but would only do much this late in its life since it wouldn't be one like a Switch Pro and in terms of software it's clear that this year won't compare to last year having both TOTK and Mario Wonder. The Switch 2 is coming out next year and was rumoured to be originally intended for late this year so it's not jumping the gun when they've clearly mostly moved on from the Switch with how many remasters and remakes it's getting this year as a way to fill time while the huge stuff is being saved for the successor. 

I had the audacity to say that cause that is how insanely ambitious the goal of only being down 14% this fiscal year is. I've pointed out various reasons why that is an unreasonable target and saying we don't know the full details of July-March isn't a good counterargument since it's not difficult to notice trends like the ones I've mentioned.

That would be a good lineup but considering that Pokemon Legends Z-A is probably gonna be a cross-gen game that one won't help out the Switch much and by November the Switch 2 will either be announced or close enough to launching that information about it will be spreading far and depressing hardware sales since many people would prefer waiting a bit longer. This point is particularly noteworthy since the majority of Switch sales are the OLED model and it's clear a lot of those are being sold to existing owners based on the slowing growth of the annual userbase and people are gonna be way less likely to spend a few hundred on an upgrade when they can just wait a bit and get a way bigger upgrade.

Shtinamin_ said:
Norion said:

I think that most of the talk about the FY goals was earlier this month. I at least already have expectations for how they will reach their goal.

• Price cuts (like you said $100), I agree with that. Switch $199, Switch Lite $99, Switch OLED $249
  • Bundles with top 5 best selling franchises (not including Pokémon). Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with Booster Course Pass, Tears of the Kingdom (or Breath of the Wild), Super Mario Bros Wonder (or Super Mario Odyssey), Animal Crossing, Splatoon 3 with DLC.
  • New solid in-house game releases each month
  • Remakes

Either way the FY hardware goal is still very reachable.

April (not including Rest of the World) 522,448
FY Hardware goal 13.5M
Total need to reach (total needed to sell/ship each month) 12.98M (1.08M)

The issue is that it would be very strange for them to suddenly do a huge price cut like that when they've gone 7 years without doing any and even released a more expensive model that has the same level of power. With the Switch on its way out a few million extra sales for it but a big reduction in revenue doesn't seem like a good trade. I can see them cutting the price after the successor comes out though so they have a low cost option for a while.

Last edited by Norion - on 29 May 2024

@Norion What was your prediction last year?