By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April Circana (NPD) 2024 Thread + Predictions

Kind of a slow month with Stellar Blade being the only significant release. XBox is down YoY, but it doesn't have much going on anymore other than releasing its titles on PS5. Switch is down YoY, but it's old, and Switch hasn't seen any real meaty releases since Mario Wonder.

Around the Network

As of April 2024,

PS5 is tracking 8% ahead of the PS4 in the same time frame while xbox series is tracking 13% behind the xbox one and also remains slightly behind the 360.

Source- Mat piscatella 

https://x.com/matpiscatella/status/1795842752456134995?s=46&t=dTsicjx75u6r1hbB1lA55A

I guess all it took for the fabled cliff to finally arrive was for the Switch to turn 7 years old. Really though while the April-June period was always gonna be down a lot the decline being so bad that it's down just under 60% for Europe and just under 70% for the US for April is already making the forecast seem really unreasonable and the decision to delay the successor out of 2024 not ideal.

For the others the PS5 is continuing to hold up well but Xbox series nearly dropping under 100k in the US is a bad look.

Last edited by Norion - on 29 May 2024

Geralt99 said:

As of April 2024,

PS5 is tracking 8% ahead of the PS4 in the same time frame while xbox series is tracking 13% behind the xbox one and also remains slightly behind the 360.

Source- Mat piscatella 

https://x.com/matpiscatella/status/1795842752456134995?s=46&t=dTsicjx75u6r1hbB1lA55A

Yeah I saw that when he tweeted it. We have PS5 7.8% ahead of the PS4, so within rounding. And I had to adjust up our XS estimates as we had it 14% behind X1 in the US and more than what I would consider "slightly" behind the X360. We now have XS 13.4% behind the X1 in the US.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

This is why I made mario wonder prediction. I also feel Nintendo made a huge mistake waiting till 2025 for switch 2.

I see that fiscal year prediction from Nintendo lives rent free in some of your heads. Hardware is struggling for all of them but I think software and price adjustments will fix alot of this.

zeldaring said:

This is why I made mario wonder prediction. I also feel Nintendo made a huge mistake waiting till 2025 for switch 2.

It's not a mistake if the hardware and/or software werent ready, I'm pretty sure they'd love Switch 2 to be out by now. 

Phenomajp13 said:

I see that fiscal year prediction from Nintendo lives rent free in some of your heads. Hardware is struggling for all of them but I think software and price adjustments will fix alot of this.

I know, right? The utter gall for people to bring up their opinion on a fiscal year forecast in a sales forum. Next we'll have people talking about Mario in a Nintendo forum.

Last edited by Norion - on 29 May 2024

PortisheadBiscuit said:
zeldaring said:

It's not a mistake if the hardware and/or software werent ready, I'm pretty sure they'd love Switch 2 to be out by now. 

I think third-party games and some remasters would have easily did the job, a huge amount of nintendo fans just want better hardware for better performance. it's gonna be sold out probably for the first 8 months no matter what. Much better to release erly cause many are just gonna buy different hardware to play thirdparty games and now they are late in the gen and launching near the biggest game ever GTA6.