By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Xbox Series X/S make it to 40 million?

Will it reach 40 million?

Yes it will 65 61.32%

No, it will fall short 41 38.68%

Total:106

- -58% in Europe.
- Officially stopped selling in Saudi Arabia.

Next stop: the quarterly results next month.

Around the Network
Esparadrapo said:

- -58% in Europe.

Just saw this, that's end of life numbers, catastrophic for a system in it's 4th year.

America's the last place Xbox is still relevant at this point, and for how much longer when they're basically given up on competing?

Like I said, if Microsoft screws, Xbox Series won't reach 40 million... And so far, they're screwing it.

But man, some people are extremely doom and gloom when talking about Xbox sales. It almost feels like they're enjoying it, geez...

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Like I said, if Microsoft screws, Xbox Series won't reach 40 million... And so far, they're screwing it.

But man, some people are extremely doom and gloom when talking about Xbox sales. It almost feels like they're enjoying it, geez...

If it's me who's giving that impression, then no, I'm not enjoying it.

Competition benefits the consumer; Sony are already being shitty now, imagine how bad it would be if Xbox quit and they had a total monopoly on dedicated console gaming.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Sales aren't great that is for sure. But they could be far worse - Wii U or PS Vita worse. Unless sales fall in the US like it is in Europe it should outsell the Atari 2600 (30M), N64 (32.93M), and Sega Genesis (34.06M). Though, no chance it catches to the SNES (49.1M), which is next after those consoles.

Plus, Xbox isn't just about consoles anymore as all Xbox games are available day one on PC and some have been released on PlayStation and Nintendo. I don't know how many people are like me, but I made the switch to PC in the last few years as I can play Xbox and PlayStation games on it now. I will likely get the Switch 2 at some point depending on if the next 3D Mario game is like 64/Odyssey and if Game Freak can actually release a Pokémon game without major issues.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Rumor that Xbox was pulling out of Saudi Arabia was shot down by Ami Silverman, who leads Xbox's consumer, speaking with Windows Central.

Silverman: "Xbox devices are available in all current Xbox hardware-supported countries, including Saudi Arabia. Console availability may vary by country but Xbox games can be played on consoles, PCs, and on phones, tablets or TVs where Xbox Cloud Gaming is available." 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I think it'll absolutely hit 40m, but 50m is definitely not happening. Weird, as early on, in the first year or two, it seemed to me like it was gonna definitely do better than XB1 and hit 60m or 70m.

Makes one wonder what the future of Xbox is. With them buying Activision Blizzard, and with Game Pass, it feels like they are gonna move off hardware and just focus fully on software and trying to keep Game Pass going.

trunkswd said:

Rumor that Xbox was pulling out of Saudi Arabia was shot down by Ami Silverman, who leads Xbox's consumer, speaking with Windows Central.

Silverman: "Xbox devices are available in all current Xbox hardware-supported countries, including Saudi Arabia. Console availability may vary by country but Xbox games can be played on consoles, PCs, and on phones, tablets or TVs where Xbox Cloud Gaming is available." 

This doesn't sound like a denial to me but a carefully worded deflection; she says they are currently available, not that they will continue to be available in the future.

Slownenberg said:

I think it'll absolutely hit 40m, but 50m is definitely not happening. Weird, as early on, in the first year or two, it seemed to me like it was gonna definitely do better than XB1 and hit 60m or 70m.

Makes one wonder what the future of Xbox is. With them buying Activision Blizzard, and with Game Pass, it feels like they are gonna move off hardware and just focus fully on software and trying to keep Game Pass going.

Not surprising at all. It was pretty obvious the sales from XBOX were exclusively due to low PS5 stock. Since Series S was unexpensive it was a reasonable purchase for people whose PS4/XBONE was not functional anymore, or unable to play some next gen games. Now PS5 is full available people no longer see the point on getting Xbox

Edit: wording

Not a chance. Especially if next-gen for Microsoft starts in 2026.