By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

https://gamingbolt.com/final-fantasy-7-rebirth-has-reportedly-sold-about-half-of-what-ff7-remake-did-in-the-same-timeframe#:~:text=While%20exact%20figures%20remain%20unknown,term%20sales%20than%20its%20predecessor

Apparently not only are sales just half of its predecessor launch aligned, but it's looking like it will have a weaker tail, as per analyst Daniel Ahmad and GamingBolt.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 April 2024

Around the Network

That sucks since it is a quality game. Square Enix hasn't been doing too well recently it seems.

What was the PS4 install base when Remake came out compared to the PS5's current install base? I'm planning on getting it at some point, but I don't pay full price for any game, so it will probably be closer to Black Friday when I grab it.

I know we want to make a big deal of this, but the sales are in line with sequels in the Final Fantasy world. FF X-2 sold half as much as X. FF13 -2 sold half as much as 13 and Lightning Returns sold half as much as 13 -2. Sequels to Final Fantasy games have never had amazing success.

We also have to consider that Remake released on a console with over 100mil users on it. PS5 has half of that. No one should be expecting each part to be doing 5mill+.

I think we should all expect the third (possibly) final entry to be even less then rebirth.

#1 video games are not movies, and breaking up 1 game into multiple parts with 3-4 year gaps in-between is not the same as a movie doing it
#2 If you have never played remake the chances of a new person picking up rebirth will be a lot smaller % wise
#3 the userbase of the PS5 vs PS4 (and eventually, PS5/Steam) is disproportionally large.

It's sad too because remake is such a fantastic game, and I have only heard even better things about rebirth.

The major issue here, isnt the game being good/bad and thus the sales reflecting it. It's a business decision, this should have been one major release, not 3 or whatever the final number will be.

我是广州人

Around the Network

PS4 had over a 100m install base, pointless thread.

Random_Matt said:

PS4 had over a 100m install base, pointless thread.

Software sales don't scale linearly with install base.

Spiderman 2 sold similarly to Spiderman 2018 on a much smaller install base.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 April 2024

We discussed this a little in the Rebirth thread; Final Fantasy 7: Remake, while only being the first part, as a standalone game was a complete experience. For some people, Remake may have satisfied their need for a remake of Final Fantasy 7. There could also be those who did not like Remake.

I will say Final Fantasy is definitely in a peculiar place at the moment.

Xxain said:

We discussed this a little in the Rebirth thread; Final Fantasy 7: Remake, while only being the first part, as a standalone game was a complete experience. For some people, Remake may have satisfied their need for a remake of Final Fantasy 7. There could also be those who did not like Remake.

I will say Final Fantasy is definitely in a peculiar place at the moment.

It went downhill after XII. 

Pity, cause the game improves upon Remake in almost every aspect.