By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Switch outsell DS? PS2? Or Neither? (March 2024 Update Poll)

Will Switch outsell DS and/or PS2? or neither?

Switch will outsell both the DS & PS2 81 63.78%

Switch will outsell the DS, but not PS2 24 18.90%

Switch won't outsell DS or PS2 22 17.32%

Total:127

Switch beating the ds numbers at least seems to me like a foregone conclusion. Breaking down the sales by region, it doesn't even need to beat the ds sales in the Americas, as it is already 10m+ ahead in ROTW and counting. This is also the area with the possibilities of the biggest late gen sales potential for the Switch. ROTW will possibly end up being 13-14m up for the Switch end of LT vs. DS. This will probably negate any lead the DS has in both Europe and Americas combined. Although i can see the Switch in the end at least matching the DS in the end in the Americas. Europe will likely be a 10m at least advantage for the DS but that will be offset by Japan and ROTW and then some.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:
Tober said:

I see your point on the 160 debate. But in the end here at VGChartz we are a tiny corner of the internet. The decision on when Switch passes PS2 is made by larger outlets like Forbes, Bloomberg, IGN and the likes. It's those reporting that will form the gamers and non-gamers opinion on what sales numbers Switch needs to reach to take the crown. And I'm willing to bet that if Switch goes beyond 155M, that's exactly when these publications will do so.

I agree. They will. Does not make it true however. Just as they are writing the sales as 155M not exactly true. But Sony are here to blame too. Maybe they will come out with some official data regarding the PS2 final numbers.. who knows. Either way, the chances are pretty big that If Switch passes 155M will reach 160M too. Cuz where the 155/156M are, there are the 160M as well. It is slim chance for the Switch to finish in the 156-159M range, let's say it like this. So all of this may be pointless.

RolStoppable said:
Shadow1980 said:

Shipped ≠ sold, and I think we all know that. Obviously even if the Switch didn't have any more units shipped to Japan, unit sales will still eventually exceed those of the DS since there's enough supply left for it to do so. Doesn't change the fact that the Switch hasn't passed the DS in sales. Let's not split hairs on this, okay?

In any case, do you really expect the Paper Mario 2 and Luigi's Mansion 2 remakes to move a ton of hardware when their original versions and other entries in their respective series didn't? I know there's a lot of people here that have a very loose definition of "system-seller." I mean, I suppose even some obscure niche title that only sold 100k copies could've been the one to get a few random people to buy a system. But not every semi-noteworthy title actually causes noticeable upticks in hardware sales (there's been at least a couple of occasions where I was told some game would be a major system-seller only for it to come and go with no bumps to hardware sales). The fact of the matter is that it's only a handful of big games that have any major impact on hardware, and the effect of any single title is always relatively short-lived (usu. a month or two at most, many only a single week). Also, Nintendo releasing several smaller titles in a system's last year isn't anything new. Obviously they're not going to leave these last 12 months before the Switch 2 releases (assuming a March 2025 release date) fully bereft of first-party software for the Switch, but what the Switch is getting won't prevent or even slow down continued declines in sales.

By far the biggest thing the Switch still has left, the only thing that can move the needle on hardware, is the upcoming Pokemon Legends game, but that's not due out until next year. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a cross-gen title, and even if it's not, the Switch 2 will almost certainly be backwards compatible (which could diminish the game's impact on Switch 1 hardware), and most people that bought a Switch to play Pokemon have one already (these late-life Pokemon games always have greatly diminished impacts compared to earlier titles on a given system). We might see a solid but not massive bump lasting a couple of weeks, but that's it, and that bump will be to sales noticeably lower than current sales. That one game by itself won't be the thing that pushes the Switch ahead of the DS.

As for the U.S. vs. the rest of the "Americas" region, keep in mind that the U.S. has consistently been at least 85-90% of Nintendo hardware sales in the region since Nintendo has been releasing systems. Canada represents most of the rest, and Switch sales in Canada have consistently been about one-tenth of U.S. sales. The Switch will probably at best sell 3.5M this year in the U.S., putting it at a bit over 48M lifetime, still over 5M short of the DS's lifetime total. If it only sells 3.5M this year, then I would argue it has zero chance of selling another 5M+ after it's replaced. Unless Latin America & the Caribbean can somehow match or exceed U.S.+Canada sales from here on out, then it's going to be hard for regional sales to match or exceed those of the DS. Even if it does beat the DS for the whole region, it won't be by much, and not enough to make up for the massive deficit in Europe, even if you combine the Americas with the Switch's lead in Japan. As I said, the Switch's ability to beat the DS worldwide is going to depend entirely on markets outside the Americas, Europe, and Japan making up for the net deficit from the main three markets.

This is the last full calendar year the Switch has before being replaced. A large majority of the rest of its lifetime sales will come in the next 12 months assuming a March 2025 release date for the Switch 2, so whatever milestones it can still pass will depend on how well it does this year. Given Nintendo's track record over the past 25 years, I am not convinced they will give the Switch the support it needs for it to not fall off of a cliff once the Switch 2 is released. If the Switch does manage to beat the DS worldwide, it probably won't be by much, and not until well after the Switch 2 releases.

No, I don't expect Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion to move a ton of hardware, because that's not how it works to begin with. The two of us have had discussions about Switch's sales momentum a few times in the last several years, and every time I've pointed out Switch's overall more than solid release schedule from first and third parties which will prevent sales from having a massive decline. In 2019 you doubted that Switch could pass 100m, later you doubted that Switch could pass the PS4, then 140m would have been too much of an ask in your mind. You know my argument already, so my response to the first half of your post can be condensed to me saying that the same logic will continue to hold true.

Switch is on pace to exceed Nintendo's projected 141.1m LTD mark by March 2024 and they'll likely forecast a figure of ~11m units for the fiscal year ending March 2025, because Switch's successor will hardly have an impact in the upcoming fiscal year. That's a decline of ~30% after FY23 declined by only ~15%. That will put Switch's LTD by March 2025 at 152m; the DS's lifetime figure stands at 154.02m. An additional mere 2m after an 11m year aren't a challenge, so I don't need to go into detail for each region. Try to run a shipment forecast for yourself and you should realize how hard it is to keep Switch below the DS in lifetime sales.

At bold 1:  Yes, Sony is absolutely to be blamed when they will be declared loser if in fact they wouldn't have lost yet and they would absolutely deserve it! When they are unwilling to release exact numbers, then they have to live with the outcome, simple as that!

At bold 2: 100% agree with this statement: You can try and spin the the shipment numbers within a realistc space however you want, it will be impossible to come out below the DS numbers when all is said and done and the breakdown into regions becomes irrelevant. I also agree with Rol's earlier prediction that the Switch has a 75% chance of beating the PS2 (and that the 25% uncertainty mainly comes from not knowing what the exact final sold through numbers of the PS2 are)

Yea even in my absolute worst case scenario I find it difficult to see it somehow selling less than the DS. Worst case scenario Switch I could see the Switch selling 9M in 2024, putting its lifetime sales at around 148.5M. The Switch could die in 2025 and I still could manage to see it slowly crawl to 154M over a few years since all it'll need is 5.5M units more after December 2024, which is likely to happen eventually even in a worse case scenario like this.

Jim Ryan revealed the PS2 sold 160 million lifetime on the PlayStation Podcast.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/460475/jim-ryan-says-the-ps2-sold-160-million-units-lifetime/

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

DS wins, call me crazy, just a have a feeling.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/460475/jim-ryan-says-the-ps2-sold-160-million-units-lifetime/

Good to know.

What does that mean for PS3? Wasn't the entire confusion caused by a year where shipment numbers for PS2/PS3 were combined.

Is it necessary do reduce PS3 by 5M? If so PS3 would drop below Xbox360.

Tober said:
trunkswd said:

Good to know.

What does that mean for PS3? Wasn't the entire confusion caused by a year where shipment numbers for PS2/PS3 were combined.

Sony has the PS3 shipment figure (sell-in) listed as "More than 87.4 million (As of March 31, 2017)."

https://sonyinteractive.com/en/our-company/business-data-sales/

But yeah the confusion was due to Sony combining PS2 and PS3 shipment figures for several years. The possible range for the PS2 was around 158.7M to like 161M.

Interesting enough Sony has the PSP at "More than 76.4 million (As of March 31, 2012)," while Shawn Layden revealed the final PSP figure was 82,523,607, with the final production date of September 26, 2014.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Tober said:
trunkswd said:

Good to know.

It doesn't mean anything for the PS3 because Sony has made its final lifetime figure available already.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

I thought the Vita was the one that needed adjusting, does this put Vita below WiiU?

trunkswd said:
Tober said:

Good to know.

Sony has the PS3 shipment figure (sell-in) listed as "More than 87.4 million (As of March 31, 2017)."

https://sonyinteractive.com/en/our-company/business-data-sales/

But yeah the confusion was due to Sony combining PS2 and PS3 shipment figures for several years. The possible range for the PS2 was around 158.7M to like 161M.

Interesting enough Sony has the PSP at "More than 76.4 million (As of March 31, 2012)," while Shawn Layden revealed the final PSP figure was 82,523,607, with the final production date of September 26, 2014.

Thanks!

About the PSP production numbers. Obviously produced units would also have been used internally for testing, demo's and such. But that would not explain the gap of 6 million.