By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 Rebirth trailing Behind Remake Launch Numbers!

Chazore said:

It'll definitely be doing better than Forespoken did, since FF is an evergreen brand, and Forespoken was new, it's marketing didn't exactly set the world on fire, was mostly memed on, and by it's time of release, it both ran poorly and had poorly written dialogue and just got shat on and faded into obscurity. 

Is their 3m projection for PC sales first month?.

I assume you mean PS and yeah, it should be, since Q4 ends on March 31st.

Mind these are not explicit numbers, just conservatively extrapolating from their expected revenue vs. previous years and roughly accounting for other game releases that could affect their baseline.

Soundwave said:

Forspoken flopping doesn't really get talked about too much either, but I think that cut Square-Enix deep. They were betting on that being the next big brand to diversify their company away from the exact problem they're in now (decline of their main brand, Final Fantasy). That game doesn't look like it was cheap to make either even if it wasn't great. 

When your game is meme'd because the dialogue is so bad you have a problem on your hands.

No doubt that was the case, but they should have released something good instead, and a lack of quality has been Square's problem for the past 15 years.

Now arguably their only excellent game since 2006  is stuck due to an exclusivity deal and it happened to be the middle game of a trilogy. Worse, one with a very controversial ending, exactly what you don't want if you intend to sell a sequel to it.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

But it seems like today that attitude has changed from

"Wow! I will buy a 2nd console for sure! This game is awesome!"

to

"Fuck you, I'm not buying your game period and I'm now not even interested in your IP, I'll just play something else."

lol. Felt that kind of energy around Starfield as well. If you're not going to offer your product on the platform the player is at, they're not going to give you the time of day any more. 

Ppl these days are like: "I'll buy it if you port it to PC/PS5/Xbox/Switch.

The days of "yes I'll bow to the whims of the publisher deals and go out to buy a 2nd console/3rd console, are practically gone. PPl either have those consoles already or are locked into 1/2 systems, and with how today's gaming ecosystems work, there's little reason to go out and buy all 3 consoles and a PC, when you could just own a PC and a console.

Hell, we've even been seeing lifetime exclusivity deals dying out over the past decade, now slimming down to 1 year or 6 months, especially with SE, who used to be happy just letting an entire game or slew of them be locked to a single system for an entire gen or two. It's just not profitable to do that much these days, especially with money being left on the table that others could easily snatch up. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

haxxiy said:

Soundwave said:

Forspoken flopping doesn't really get talked about too much either, but I think that cut Square-Enix deep. They were betting on that being the next big brand to diversify their company away from the exact problem they're in now (decline of their main brand, Final Fantasy). That game doesn't look like it was cheap to make either even if it wasn't great. 

When your game is meme'd because the dialogue is so bad you have a problem on your hands.

No doubt that was the case, but they should have released something good instead, and a lack of quality has been Square's problem for the past 15 years.

Now arguably their only excellent game since 2006  is stuck due to an exclusivity deal and it happened to be the middle game of a trilogy. Worse, one with a very controversial ending, exactly what you don't want if you intend to sell a sequel to it.

This might be a hot take, but I strongly believe Japanese companies should be allowed to do their own writing/dialogue, and not allowing the West to stroll in like we've seen with Sweet Baby Inc and let them trash what we know could be done better (played plenty of Japanese games in my time to know that they can be corny, but also not as stupid as what we saw with Forspoken, when you allow Western writers to take over). 

I do think now is not the right time for a company like SE to release a brand new IP, seeing the general economy and how easy it is for a game to just fall on it's ass and get memed on before it even has a chance to stand back on two legs. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

This might be a hot take, but I strongly believe Japanese companies should be allowed to do their own writing/dialogue, and not allowing the West to stroll in like we've seen with Sweet Baby Inc and let them trash what we know could be done better (played plenty of Japanese games in my time to know that they can be corny, but also not as stupid as what we saw with Forspoken, when you allow Western writers to take over). 

I do think now is not the right time for a company like SE to release a brand new IP, seeing the general economy and how easy it is for a game to just fall on it's ass and get memed on before it even has a chance to stand back on two legs. 

Is that what actually happened though? Not that they let the west write it, more that certain companies got involved when they shouldn't. The writing team involved had worked on successful titles before, Amy Hennig was one of them (although she's credited as concept it seems), maybe they should have let her write the whole thing. The main writer listed doesn't seem to have as many credits behind their back. West or Japan, doesnt' mean the diagloue is going to be any good ( I've played FF7Remake. ;) ).

Writer's aren't the problem, vetting and auditing probably are but in the case of a Japanese made, English written, I'm guessing there would have been communication issues as well. I played the demo and the movement and combat was fun and even decent but rusty. Controls needed an overhaul, some battles felt like a slog the open world was very open because of how the movement was designed.

The game itself played well just no one was interested. It wasn't because of writing people didn't know about on release because you don't know until after release. Bad hype build up prehaps? Released at the wrong time maybe?

So, question is, if not now, when? Is the risk of a new IP so bad right now that even trying isn't worth it and you should put all your resources into releases of the same proven IPs forever? The Ubisoft and Activision style of game production? We'll end up with just a sea of sequels and never anything new.

Last edited by The Fury - on 15 March 2024

Hmm, pie.

I really think that multiple factors are hindering Rebirths sales which might be quite obvious but I wanna share em with u again nonetheless lol!

*Exclusivity day one on one console no pc release, (square takes their time with em pc ports)
*The wait time is way too long,
4 years after remake the iron was no longer hot!
*PS4 numbers > PS5 numbers, ff7 remake came out at the end of the ps4s life while rebirth came out mid way through the ps5s expensive life.
*Final Fantasy isnt hot anymore, most of the fans have moved on or too old have too many responsibility with their lives? LoL
*Fans don't like the hack and slash and the way the trilogy is being told.
Different story from the original? A reimagining!

Around the Network
LivncA_Dis3 said:

I really think that multiple factors are hindering Rebirths sales which might be quite obvious but I wanna share em with u again nonetheless lol!

*Exclusivity day one on one console no pc release, (square takes their time with em pc ports)
*The wait time is way too long,
4 years after remake the iron was no longer hot!
*PS4 numbers > PS5 numbers, ff7 remake came out at the end of the ps4s life while rebirth came out mid way through the ps5s expensive life.
*Final Fantasy isnt hot anymore, most of the fans have moved on or too old have too many responsibility with their lives? LoL
*Fans don't like the hack and slash and the way the trilogy is being told.
Different story from the original? A reimagining!

Biggest issue for me is part 3 is probably 4 to 5 years away.  Why rush to play part 2 when it will be oh so long till the finale?

Following this reception part 3 will probably be reduced in scope and budget compared to part 2, so I don't think it'll take that long. They need only to add like three regions (Rocket Town, Wutai, Northern Crater/Icicle Inn) and mostly reuse/remix the rest.

I just hate action RPGs where your party members are running around and fighting on their own. It's annoying and completely pointless. Nothing worse than trying to fight and your party members are constantly getting in the way, using up precious items, dying a lot, etc. And it never really feels like they're helping much anyway. It's a stupid system and I won't play any game that uses it.

Realism be damned, there should be one character on the battlefield at a time, and you can switch between them at will.

Final Fantasy's problem is the numbers are getting too damn high. 16? 17? Really?

It's beginning to FEEL like a "product." and that's how people are starting to see it. Just an assembly line product.

FInal Fantasy needs to do away with the numbered titles.

They actually help and u can switch from character to character and still be able to command all of them at once,

They fill up their atb bar and u can tell em what to do,

Ff7 remake and rebirth a.i are actually smart and very independent,

They don't use any items unless u equip them with auto use materia or auto magic materia