By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball Creator) has passed away at age 68

Very sad news. Dragon ball is the first anime I ever watched growing up.

Around the Network

This is something I wasn't expecting to hear today.

I grew up watching Dr. Slump and later Dragon Ball, only to find out later, with those crossover episodes, that both shows were his. So yeah, he kept me entertained for hours when I was young.

I'm actually a sad about it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Rip to one of the best manga creators.

The Father of Modern Shonen Manga and Anime.

I don't think he ever truly realized just how important and impactful his work was to multiple generations across the entire world.
Every person in every corner of the globe has heard of Dragon Ball. Goku is on that same tier as Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Mario, and Pikachu of recognizable and iconic characters. The Goku/Vegeta rivalry is the measuring stick for EVERY rivalry in ALL forms of media and entertainment. The manga, anime, and all things Dragon Ball holds a special place in the hearts of millions of people who were able to learn values such as working hard and busting your ass night in and night out in order to achieve the results you dream of - Teaching the lesson of how the journey is every bit as important as the destination. For both the work you put in and the unforgettable bonds and friends you make along the way.

Rest in Peace, Akira Toriyama.
May the Other World be as adventurous and exciting as you envisioned it.

拝謝申し上げます鳥山 明

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network

My respect and thanks for everything, Toriyama-san. The world has shown its appreciation for all the great things we have thanks to you and Japanese culture.
Various presidents (e.g. from France and other Asian/European countries) have paid their last respects to Akira and published kind words.
Wish you the best in heaven, Toriyama-san.

by the way:

He might have been the most iconic animator outside of Walt Disney. At least as far as his style went. Miyazaki is a bigger name, but you could always tell Akira Toriyama's distinct style - even if it was from something you hadn't seen before; I don't think the same can be said of Miyazaki - he's more known as a director than for his distinct art style.

Others with iconic styles include Don Bluth (Secret of NIMH, An American Tail, All Dogs go to Heaven, Land Before Time, and his earlier Disney work). There was also the late Satoshi Kon (Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue, Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers). There is also Yoshitaka Amano (Angel's Egg, Vampire Hunter D, several Final Fantasy games).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

He will be remembered. I still remember years ago watching Dragon Ball with my friend and realizing I missed out on so much not watching this great show as a kid.

BiON!@