By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts January 2024 Discussion Thread

Even in America where they once reigned supreme, Xbox isn't even really competitive with Playstation any more.

Series managed to hold close throughout the first two years of the gen, presumably due to the Series S being readily available during the chip crunch, but once PS5 became readily available, that's all she wrote.

Around the Network

Link to the VGChartz article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison - January 2024

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 526,807 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 511,924 - Switch

Total Lead: 9,383,944 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 137,721,535

DS Total Sales: 147,105,479

January 2024 is the 83rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 0.53 million units when compared to the DS during the same timeframe.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the DS by 0.51 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 9.38 million units.

The 83rd month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is January 2024, while for the DS it is September 2011. The Switch has sold 137.72 million units, while the DS sold 147.11 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 16.30 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 02 March 2024

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Now that Switch 2 is reported to be next year, it's looking like Switch itself will very likely beat the DS lifetime.
Considering the DS was tracking ahead of Switch by a whopping 16 million at one point, that'd be one heck of a comeback.

Trunks, at the first page, some of the images are broken.

At this point, I think it's safe to say that the PS5 will cross 100 million, since it's doing better than the PS4, but the question is how far it can go. Any chance for it to become the #1 Sony console?

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

At this point, I think it's safe to say that the PS5 will cross 100 million, since it's doing better than the PS4, but the question is how far it can go. Any chance for it to become the #1 Sony console?

Personally, I dont think Sony will be able to go past 130m. From what clues I see (lack of permanent price cuts, lowering shipping forecasts, $70 games, huge AAA budgets, lay-offs, them talking about bringing games to other places, rumored ~2027 PS6 release etc.) it sounds like Sony isn't pushing themselves. Sony has a console that very easily could make it to top #3. But the way the cards are lined up they'll be lucky to sell over 130m.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network

PS5 vs Wii Sales Comparison - January 2024

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Wii.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Wii launched in November 2006. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. Wii Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 136,820 - Wii

Gap change over last 12 months: 867,806 - PS5

Total Lead: 11,996,703 - Wii

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 54,173,963

Wii Total Sales: 66,170,666

January 2024 is the 39th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo Wii when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 0.14 million units.

In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 5 has outsold the Nintendo Wii by 0.87 million units. The Nintendo Wii is ahead of the PlayStation 5 by 12.00 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 54.17 million units in 39 months, while the Nintendo Wii sold 66.17 million units. Month 39 for the PlayStation 5 is January 2024 and for the Nintendo Wii it is January 2010.

The Nintendo Wii crossed 70 million in month 43, 80 million in month 50, and 90 million in month 61. The Nintendo Wii sold 101.63 million units lifetime. The PS5 is 47.46 million units behind lifetime Wii sales.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Shtinamin_ said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Personally, I dont think Sony will be able to go past 130m. From what clues I see (lack of permanent price cuts, lowering shipping forecasts, $70 games, huge AAA budgets, lay-offs, them talking about bringing games to other places, rumored ~2027 PS6 release etc.) it sounds like Sony isn't pushing themselves. Sony has a console that very easily could make it to top #3. But the way the cards are lined up they'll be lucky to sell over 130m.

It's not as much of a slam dunk as it seemed a year ago, but I still think 130m+ for PS5 is on the cards; Xbox has crashed, leaving them with basically no competition, and if a lot of Xbox One owners that haven't upgraded yet don't get a Series, they'll likely get a PS5 instead.

PS5 vs Switch Sales Comparison - January 2024

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Switch.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 217,130 - NS

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,846,344 - NS

Total Lead: 3,827,661 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 58,001,624

January 2024 is the 39th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo Switch when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 0.22 million units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PS5 by 1.85 million units. The PS5 is behind the Switch by 3.83 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 54.17 million units in 39 months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 58.00 million units. Month 39 for the PlayStation 5 is January 2024 and for the Nintendo Switch it is May 2020.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 60 million in month 41, 70 million in month 45, and 80 million in month 48. The Nintendo Switch has sold 137.72 million units through January 2023. The PS5 is 83.55 million units behind lifetime Switch sales.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison - January 2024

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 224,274 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,755,322 - PS5

Total Lead: 800,449 - PS4

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 54,974,412

January 2024 is the 39th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 224,274 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS5 has outsold the PS4 by 3.76 million units. The PS4 is currently ahead of the PS5 by 0.80 million units.

The PS5 has sold 54.17 million units in 39 months, while the PS4 sold 54.97 million units. Month 39 for the PS5 is January 2024 and for the PS4 is January 2017.

The PS4 crossed 60 million in month 44, 70 million in month 50, and 80 million in month 56. The PS4 has sold 117.16 million units to date. The PS5 is 62.99 million units behind lifetime PS4 sales.

Switch vs PS5 continues to be a fascinating one to watch, with their offset holidays causing them to dance back and forth.
At various points PS5 has varied from around 3 million ahead to 6 million behind.
Now that we're reached Switch's 2020 peak, and with 2023 looking like it could be PS5's peak, it'll be interesting to see how the fight plays out from here.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 March 2024