By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Israel-Hamas war, Gaza genocide

Jaicee said:
SvennoJ said:

There is a lot of that, however the mainstream media chooses to focus on conflict :/

There are also many Palestinians living in Israel (in fear nowadays sadly) as well as Arabs and other nationalities. They can all live together, however it's the extremists (on both sides) that have kept the conflict and current escalation going.

On college campuses kids have also prayed together, both Muslim and Jewish prayers, eat together and generally have peaceful exchanges of ideas. But there are always trouble makers which the media focuses on. Part of those troublemakers are the universities themselves sending state troopers in, provoking violence.

Anti-Zionism is also not anti-Judaism. Zionism has been hijacked by ultra right hardliners like Ben-Gvir, now part of the war cabinet, living in an illegal settlement in the West Bank. So yes, the protests are anti Zionist anti current ultra right government of Israel. They are not anti Israel. At least I haven't heard anywhere that Israel should be disbanded and the 7.2 million Jews living there should pack up and leave. There aren't even many voices saying all the illegal settlements should be disbanded, but some reparations do have to be done for a 2-state solution.

The 2-state solution is the most heard, an intermediary phase to hopefully a union in the future.

Anti-Zionist attitudes are deserved as the way the Israeli government acts in the name of Zionism is the root cause of what's happening in Israel/Palestine. Yet anti-Zionist attitudes do not diminish respect for the Jewish identity. Zionism is just a recent experiment, which started with good intentions, yet has been hijacked by ultra nationalist and fascist movements.

https://www.huckmag.com/article/zionism-is-not-judaism-myths-about-israel

However Zionists do try to conflate Judaism with Zionism calling Jews that denounce Zionism self-hating Jews.

Also not all Jews in Israel are Zionists.
https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2016/03/08/israels-religiously-divided-society/

Another thing to note is that the fear of Islam, Muslims, Arabs in general is what has been keeping people inline since the fall of the Soviet Union. The Islam scare is the new Red scare. And that needs to be maintained for the powerful elite to continue to get away what ever they want. Hence so much push back against any empathy towards Palestinians...

There's a lot to respond to here, but the bottom line is that, rather than simply distancing yourself from straight-up anti-Israel politics, you seem to be creatively reimagining the definition of Zionism so you don't have to, and that says a lot to me.

Here you have reimagined "Zionism" as a term that means support for the particular government of Benjamin Netanyahu. That is not how proponents define it. Like when a Jewish student's path to class is blocked by protesters and they ask him or her if they're a "Zionist" before permitting passage, the Jewish student will not answer that question according to your definition of the term, they'll answer it according to the Anti-Defamation League's definition, as some variation or other thereon is embraced by basically every Jewish person in Israel regardless of their position on the left-right spectrum (including the anti-occupation peace activists) and by many living outside Israel as well.

Anti-Zionism is not a factor in Israeli Jewish politics. That position, which is understood as opposition to the existence of Israel as a Jewish state, has no appreciable uptake there amongst the Jewish population and is thus what I would consider an unserious position. Even the left wing newspapers in Israel like Haaretz do not respect anti-Zionist attitudes. That is because, as simply yet succinctly put by Joshua Leifer of Dissent magazine, Zionism is commonly understood by Jewish people to simply mean "support for the political self-determination of, and a sovereign state for, the Jewish people". It does not mean support for the current war, Netanyahu, Ben-Givr, or the settling by Jews of land seized by Israel in 1967. It means recognizing that a nation called Israel has the right to exist as a majority-Jewish country. The 50,000 or so Israelis you see protesting the Netanyahu government every weekend these days demanding that the government reach a deal for the release of hostages at pretty much any price (including an immediate conclusion to the war) perfectly illustrates this spectrum of opinion.

Anti-Zionist token Jews who are willing to debase themselves enough to chant along with slogans like "Burn Tel Aviv to the ground!" and applaud and cheer speakers defending "the heroic actions of October the 7th", by contrast, are not taken seriously by many Jewish people anywhere. Those are indeed objectively self-hating Jews, sorry, and I say that as an atheist and fellow opponent of this war myself.

I believe that we are fundamentally on the same side of the Israeli-Palestinian question in opposing this war and believing in a two-state solution recognizing both a nation of Israel and a nation of Palestine. I feel though that you're one more prone to getting wrapped up in the general aura of protests to the point that you can't think critically about the sum of their content, to which end you are here reflexively ignoring and justifying their more pernicious aspects in disingenuous ways. Another obvious example: in the OP, you layout your idea of the timeline of events leading up to this moment in Israeli-Palestinian relations. It's tough not to notice the partisan skew of the telling, such as the omission of a minor little event known as the Holocaust from your timeline. Considering that the Holocaust was the event that first popularized Zionism among Jewish people, one might've thought it worth mentioning. Glaring omissions like that don't occur by accident.

I'm trying not use the yes sometimes-overused term "anti-Semitism" here and I hope this doesn't come off as inappropriate tone policing in a context of slaughter and famine, but I can't help feeling like your general take on events, which is practically the only one represented on this thread, is not very sensitive to the typical perspectives and experience of Jewish people.

I didn't mention the holocaust in the OP because it's common knowledge, a subject that's been beaten to death and now abused as a defense for the current war. Never again. I focused on the lesser known parts of history involving the conflict. But maybe the holocaust, WW2 and the direct aftermath isn't as widely known as I thought.

The holocaust was the big accelerator of course, and not letting go of the trauma from WW2 is a big part of the problem today. Which is also an indication that the current conflict will take many generations to solve. The trauma inflicted on Jews and the Jewish identity in WW2 has since been inflicted on Palestinians.

Zionism isn't just the desire to return to and live in Israel, it has sadly become much more. Hence I've tried to use the term neo-Zionism that appeared after the 6-day war in '67. The right-wing, nationalistic and religious ideology to exclusively settle all the lands between the sea and the river as stated in the Likud party charter from 1977.

But thanks to Neo-Zionism, Zionism in general has gotten a bad name which is what I mean by "Zionism has been hijacked" and where the anti-Zionist feelings come from. As I said, most are not opposed to Jews living in Israel.

Zionism is stained just like Hindus had their religious symbols (the swastika, symbolizing surya ('sun'), prosperity and good luck) taken away from them by Nazi Germany. How much further Zionism will be dragged down depends on what the ultra right wing Israeli government does next.

So the correct term is Anti-Neo-Zionism, but Pro-Palestine works better.

Anyway I haven't seen anti zionist token Jews chanting "Burn Tel Aviv to the ground!" or praising October 7th. But I have seen many Jews critical of the current war described as self-hating Jews. That term has been hijacked / weaponized as much as Zionism and Anti-Semitism. Originally it was meant to mean those that reject Judaism in total. https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/self-hating-jews/

The weaponization of the Holocaust, Zionism, Anti-Semitism, Self-hating Jews is what's now causing this huge divide or rather misunderstanding between Pro Palestine and Pro Israel protesters. Hence it's so important that they sit down and talk instead of barricading themselves behind their own definitions of these terms.

As that article concludes "The trouble is in distinguishing between what are legitimately anti-Semitic stereotypes, and what are merely warring political perspectives." Israel has politicized Zionism, and the rise of the political Neo-Zionism ideology is what has escalated this conflict rather than come to a solution like what happened in Northern-Ireland.

Never again, lest we forget -> It is happening again. It never ended, merely the roles changed.

It is indeed sad that Zionism now is commonly interpreted as Israel for Jews alone. Sad that anti-semitism now means any criticism of Israel's current politics. Sad that the term self-hating Jew is slung around to any Jew opposing Israel's current politics. It's sad that the likes of Netanyahu are invoking the holocaust in disproportionate self-defense as well as calling everyone Nazis that don't agree with them.

Language and symbols fail when terms get twisted and abused, lose their original meaning, get weaponized and flung around out of context. Do that enough and they become the new context, like the Swastika.

Time moves on. You can't simply turn the clock back to the original meanings or the land of Judea and Samaria before the Roman invasion. We need to find a way to move on instead of clinging to the past. Palestinians need to get over the Nakba, Jews need to get over the holocaust. Problem is the likes of Netanyahu are doing everything to prevent this from happening.

It's important to remember the past, even more important not to live by the past.

Around the Network
Jaicee said:

I'm trying not use the yes sometimes-overused term "anti-Semitism" here and I hope this doesn't come off as inappropriate tone policing in a context of slaughter and famine, but I can't help feeling like your general take on events, which is practically the only one represented on this thread, is not very sensitive to the typical perspectives and experience of Jewish people.

Btw thanks for the correction and counter points. I do admit I also get caught up in and deeply distressed by the images coming out of Gaza, which is leading to my feelings against Zionism which really are against the politicized version of Neo-Zionism which has led to ethnic cleansing.

I apologize for coming over as insensitive to the Jewish experience.

All I've wished for for the past 40 years is for people to find a way to live together. It was a bad day when Israel decided to build the separation wall. Walls are never a solution, they only lead to further entrenchment on both sides, leading to misunderstanding today.

And I agree, asking Jewish students whether they are Zionists before letting them pass, is simply wrong. Not only is the question wrong, it's no way to start a discussion to find out what exactly each 'party' asks of each other. And I'm wrong for conflating the Neo-Zionist fascist ideology with Zionism in general.

Perhaps the better slogan for demonstrations would be "From the river to the sea, everyone shall be free".

Good to take a step back now and then and allow some time to digest what's going on, away from the live feed updates.

I updated the OP to reflect the current situation and included the Holocaust and rise of anti-semitism in the 19th century in the time line, which led to the creation of Zionism and later Neo-Zionism. There is also Post-Zionism and Labor Zionism which started the Kibbutz phenomenon.

From the ADL definition of Zionism

Zionism does not preclude support for Palestinian self-determination and statehood. For some Zionists, support for a two-state solution is the realization of self-determination for Jews and Palestinians alike.

Settler colonialism in the name of Zionism is the problem, not Zionism itself.

Sadly the atrocities will not stop

Boy loses limbs after ‘hidden explosive charge’ in food aid detonates

A teenage Palestinian boy is the latest to be severely wounded while opening “booby-trapped food”, according the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

“A 14-year-old boy was seriously injured and sustained limb amputations after opening a booby-trapped can of food found while looking for his belongings in his house that had been shelled by Israeli forces in Khan Younis,” OCHA said, citing Gaza authorities.

The boy, who was wounded in the blast on Monday, is just one of “many people recently injured” from aid supplies rigged with hidden explosive charges, the UN agency added.

Deadly attack on aid convoy in Gaza City

This is not the first time we’ve seen deliberate attacks on aid seekers or aid distribution centres.

What happened was a convoy of trucks carrying humanitarian relief approached an Israeli military checkpoint at the Kuwait traffic circle, and soldiers opened fire. One truck driver was killed instantly and several other people were wounded.

It was several hours before paramedics were allowed into the area, which has been designated a combat zone by the Israeli military. We’ve seen in the past that aid seekers who approached the traffic circle searching for food and water supplies were also killed.

Two Palestinian detainees from Gaza die in Israeli prisons: Prisoner’s Society

The Palestinian Prisoner’s Society says that one of the detainees who died was Dr Adnan al-Barash, the head of the orthopaedic department at al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, the largest medical complex in the besieged and bombarded territory.

Francesca Albanese, the UN special rapporteur on human rights in the occupied territories, said she was “extremely alarmed” by the information and urged the diplomatic community to intervene with concrete measures to protect Palestinians.

“No Palestinian is safe under Israel’s occupation today,” she wrote on X.

Doctor killing takes medical sector death toll to 496

The killing of Dr Adnan al-Barash in an Israeli prison has taken the total death toll of medical personnel since the start of the war on Gaza to 496. Gaza’s health ministry said in a statement that about 1,500 medical workers have also been wounded, and 309 remain imprisoned in Israeli jails.

“The killing of Dr al-Barash would not be the last crime in light of the complete secrecy of the condition of prisoners in prisons, especially those arrested from the Gaza Strip,” said the ministry.

It also called on the international community and health and human rights organisations to intervene and protect prisoners held by Israel.

Al-Bursh, 50, was the head of the orthopedic department at al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City. He was arrested by the Israeli army last December as he treated patients at al-Adwa Hospital in northern Gaza.

Israel claims more than 400 aid trucks entered Gaza coinciding with Blinken visit

The Israeli military says it allowed 406 trucks carrying 8,040 tonnes of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip yesterday, when US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken was visiting.

It also said it has allowed in a total of 26,746 trucks since the start of the war on Gaza, which has killed more than 34,500 Palestinians so far, mostly women and children.

The Government Media Office in Gaza said on Wednesday that Israel allowed in an average of 163 aid trucks per day in April, which is below the 300 to 400 that Israel and the US have been touting, and much lower than the 1,000 daily trucks that it said starved Palestinians need right now.

The tracking site reports 253 humanitarian aid trucks entered Gaza yesterday. It's not tracking the new crossing yet though (40 Rafah, 213 Kerem Shalom) 31 aid trucks were reported to have entered the new crossing in the North of Gaza.

It's getting better (the low numbers for the last 2 days of April were missing the Kerem Shalom crossing)
Rolling 7 day average is now 192 (excluding whatever entered in the North, not tracked yet)

Still much more is needed.

Some in Gaza ‘tasting fresh bread for the first time in six months’

Shaza Moghraby, a spokesperson for the World Food Programme (WFP), says humanitarian access to Gaza is improving relative to where it has been, but it’s still not enough.

Yesterday, the first aid trucks entered Gaza via the Beit Hanoon (Erez) border crossing in the north for the first time since October 7.

“We have seen improvements but we need the routes to be opened all the time,” she said. According to Moghraby, WFP has been able to open four bakeries in northern Gaza where hundreds of thousands of Palestinians are in dire need.

“So for the first time, people in the northern areas who were using extreme measures to make bread, using animal feed and bird seed to make bread, for the first time they are tasting fresh bread in six months.”

Can you imagine what that would taste like after 6 months. That right there is a huge boost of morale alone.

The sooner these go the better

‘We will do whatever necessary to win, including in Rafah’: Netanyahu

As Hamas says it is looking at the latest Israeli ceasefire proposals in mediated talks with a “positive spirit”, the Israeli prime minister is doubling down on his promise to launch a ground invasion of Rafah in southern Gaza regardless.

“We will do whatever is necessary to win and overcome our enemies, including in Rafah,” Benjamin Netanyahu’s office quotes him as saying in a memorial ceremony for soldiers.

“There were differences of opinion among us about operations in near and distant arenas. But at the end of the discussion, I made a decision and the decision was accepted.”

Smotrich congratulates Trump for retracting support for two-state solution: Report

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich has congratulated former US President Donald Trump for “withdrawing his support for the establishment of a Palestinian state”, Israeli Channel 7 news website has reported.

Responding to the question of whether a two-state solution should be an outcome of the war, Trump said in an interview for Time magazine published this week: “There was a time when I thought two states could work. Now I think two states is going to be very, very tough. I think it’s going to be much tougher to get. I also think you have fewer people that liked the idea.”

Smotrich, head of the Religious Zionist Party, said he hopes other world leaders will show Trump’s courage, stop “turning their backs” on Israel and join the fight “against radical Islam that threatens the peace of the entire world”.

“A Palestinian state would be a terrorist state that would endanger the existence of Israel and the international pressure to establish it is an injustice on a historical scale by the Western countries,” Channel 7 quoted Smotrich as saying.

Around the Network

Palestinian embassy seeks temporary status for those who entered Egypt

The Palestinian embassy in Egypt is seeking temporary residency permits for tens of thousands of people who have arrived from Gaza during the war, which it says would ease conditions for them until the conflict is over.

Diab al-Louh, the Palestinian ambassador in Cairo, said as many as 100,000 Palestinians had crossed into Egypt, where they lack the papers to enrol their children in schools, open businesses or bank accounts, travel, or access health insurance – though some have found ways to make a living.

Al-Louh stressed that residency permits would only be for legal and humanitarian purposes, adding that those who arrived since the war began on October 7 had no plans to settle in Egypt.

“We are talking about a category [of people] in an exceptional situation. We asked the state to give them temporary residencies that can be renewed until the crisis in Gaza is over,” al-Louh told the Reuters news agency in an interview.

Pulitzer Prize board lauds students journalists covering campuses

As the Pulitzer Prize board gathers to announce this year’s winners on May 6, it has released a statement to recognise the efforts of student journalists covering pro-Palestinian demonstrations in the face of what it called “great personal and academic risk”.

“We would also like to acknowledge the extraordinary real-time reporting of student journalists at Columbia University, where the Pulitzer Prizes are housed, as the New York Police Department was called onto campus on Tuesday night,” it said.

“In the spirit of press freedom, these students worked to document a major national news event under difficult and dangerous circumstances and at risk of arrest.”

Police clear UCLA camp: Here’s a recap

• After several hours of standoff, police have moved in on the UCLA campus to clear a pro-Palestine encampment.
  • Officers in riot gear have used flashbangs, removed barricades and arrested a number of protesters.
  • Protesters have chanted slogans such as “This is a peaceful protest” and “Shame on you” as police advanced.
  • A few dozen protesters remain currently at the campus, out of an initial 400, a witness has told Al Jazeera.

At least 2,000 arrested at US campus pro-Palestine protests: Report

A tally from the Associated Press found that 2,000 people have been arrested since mid-April, when students at Columbia University in New York occupied their campus and kicked off a wave of student-led pro-Palestine protests across the US.

Earlier today, at least 200 were arrested at the University of California, Los Angeles, in the latest incident of mass arrest at a campus protest.

Former state dept official who resigned over Gaza cancels talk at Dartmouth

Josh Paul, the highest ranking Biden administration official to resign over its approach to the war in Gaza, has canceled a talk at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire after witnessing the police response to a protest on the campus.

“I arrived at my hotel to find an encampment in the green across the road, a peaceful group of students, faced off by a line of riot police,” he wrote on LinkedIn.

“As I have watched tonight, I have seen a police snatch squad break into the encampment and grab students and faculty one-by-one, and haul them off, as the riot police close the line behind them,” he said, adding he had been “reliably informed that ‘this is being done at the behest of the Dartmouth College administration.'”

He said he “gravely misjudged Dartmouth’s commitment to free and constructive dialogue”, adding he would cancel a planned panel discussion, but would continue with preplanned classroom discussions and private conversations.

‘Greater than an encampment’: Why Gaza student protests strike a chord

Diseases spread among displaced Gazans amid pollution, soaring temperatures

The UN is highlighting how temperatures reaching 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) in Gaza and the accumulation of waste and sewage among tents where displaced Palestinians have to live are only adding to the many challenges faced by the residents of the enclave.

“Sewer pollution has led to the emergence of diseases such as hepatitis A and other viral diseases,” said Abdul Rahman Abu Amra, a nurse in a clinic run by UNRWA, the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, adding that food contamination and lack of water are other challenges.

Salama Abdel-al, a displaced Palestinian, said the rising temperatures are turning tents into “the burning fire of God”.

“It’s like we’re sitting among heaters,” he said.

Bribes and threats....

US senators meet ICC over potential Israel arrest warrants: Report

A group of both Democratic and Republican US senators reportedly held a virtual meeting with senior officials from the International Criminal Court (ICC) over potential arrest warrants being considered for top Israeli officials.

The meeting took place on Wednesday shortly after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke to multiple senators, reports the US news site Axios, citing three unnamed sources.

Republican lawmakers have reportedly threatened to pass legislation against the ICC if it moves forward with the warrants.

Axios earlier reported that Biden administration officials have also privately warned the ICC against the move after a warning by Israel that it could cut off tax funds it collects for the Palestinian Authority, which could cause it to collapse.

Turkey halts all trade with Israel citing Gaza war

Turkey stopped all exports and imports to and from Israel because of the “worsening humanitarian tragedy” in the war-battered Gaza Strip.

“Export and import transactions related to Israel have been stopped, covering all products,” Turkey’s Ministry of Trade said in a statement. “Turkey will strictly and decisively implement these new measures until the Israeli government allows an uninterrupted and sufficient flow of humanitarian aid to Gaza.”

The two countries had a trade volume of $6.8bn in 2023. Turkey last month imposed trade restrictions on Israel over what it said was Israel’s refusal to allow Ankara to take part in air-dropped aid operations for Gaza.

The regional war adds another actor

Iraqi fighter groups claim missile attack on Tel Aviv

The Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella group of Iran-aligned militias, has said it launched multiple cruise missiles at Israel on Thursday, the Reuters news agency reports. A source from the group told Reuters that Arqab-type cruise missiles were fired at the city of Tel Aviv for the first time. Israel has yet to comment on the attack.

The Iraqi armed groups have claimed multiple attacks on US forces stationed in Iraq and Syria, as well as targets in Israel, since October.

Israel and Hezbollah claim attacks on military infrastructure

The Israeli military released aerial footage it says shows Hezbollah operatives entering buildings in Aita al-Shaab in southern Lebanon. The building is then seen being struck by Israeli fighter jets.

The Israeli army also said during the day, four rocket launches were detected coming from Lebanese territory, which inflicted no casualties. It said it “attacked the source of the launches”.

Hezbollah, which claimed two attacks earlier, said in its end-of-day report it also launched a third strike shortly before midnight, targeting an Israeli military barracks with missiles and achieving a direct hit.

The Lebanese group also released a video from an attack on Sunday, showing one of its fighters launching an antitank guided missile that struck what it said was a military building used by Israeli soldiers in the Shtula settlement.

Syria says eight soldiers wounded after Israeli air strike

The Syrian Ministry of Defence says in a short statement that eight soldiers were wounded after the Israeli military launched an air strike from the occupied Golan Heights.

The attack hit an area in the vicinity of the capital Damascus, and there were also some “material losses”, it said, according to state-run SANA broadcaster.

Earlier, the Reuters news agency had cited an unnamed security source as saying that the Israeli strike had hit a building operated by Syrian security forces on the outskirts of Damascus.

Houthi leader says over 600 missiles launched since October 7

Abdel-Malik al-Houthi, the leader of the Houthis in Yemen, says the group has launched 606 ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and drones in its attacks since October 7, which the group says are carried out in opposition to the deadly war on Gaza.

He said in a speech that 111 of the projectiles were directly launched at Israel, with the rest targeting warships belonging to Israel’s allies in the region, along with other vessels traversing the waters near Yemen.

Al-Houthi claimed that the group has so far targeted 107 ships linked with Israel and the US, and that it launched 33 missiles and drones in eight attacks in the past week in the Red Sea, the Gulf of Aden, the Arabian Sea and Israel.

“There is considerable annoyance and concern among the enemies due to operations extending to the Indian Ocean,” he said.

US military says it destroyed three Houthi uncrewed aerial systems in Yemen

The US military’s Central Command (CENTCOM) has said that it “engaged and destroyed” three uncrewed aerial systems (UAS) in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen.

“It was determined these systems presented an imminent threat to US, coalition forces, and merchant vessels in the region,” CENTCOM wrote in a post on X.

US Muslim group condemns Biden comments

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) blasted President Joe Biden for failing to denounce Israel’s attack on Gaza while supporting a crackdown on student protests in the US.

“If President Biden is concerned about unrest on college campuses, he should start specifically condemning attacks on peaceful protesters and stop funding the genocide that has triggered student protests. Until then, he’s part of the problem,” CAIR’s National Deputy Director Edward Ahmed Mitchell said in a statement.

Earlier, Biden said at the White House: “Dissent is essential for democracy, but dissent must never lead to disorder.”

The president also said the protests have not caused him to reconsider his approach to Israel’s war on Gaza, which has killed more than 34,000 people, mostly children and women. Biden has occasionally criticised Israel’s conduct, but continues to supply it with weapons.

Joe Biden raises a toast during the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner

Bernie Sanders: Protesting students are ‘out there for the right reasons’

US Senator Bernie Sanders says President Joe Biden is right to condemn bigotry, but cautioned it’s important to understand why thousands of students are protesting at universities.

“They are out there not because they are ‘pro-Hamas’, they are out there because they are outraged by what the Israeli government is now doing in Gaza,” he said during an interview with US broadcaster CNN.

“They do not want to see a situation continue where 110,000 Palestinians, or about 5 percent of the population, have been killed or wounded.”

‘Divest from Israel’ – Decoding the Gaza protest call shaking US campuses

The student-led protests being held across US campuses have multiple demands, but one common cause is demanding that schools stop doing business with Israel.

Many of the universities are in command of multibillion-dollar endowments, and students have demanded they withdraw their investments from companies that do business with Israel.

Protesters at the Ivy League Brown University are the first at an elite college to reach an agreement with their administration. They ended their encampment after the college agreed to hold a vote on whether to divest from firms supporting Israel.

Students erect pro-Palestine encampments across Canadian campuses

Students at the University of Toronto set up an encampment in a fenced-off grassy space at the school’s downtown campus where some 100 protesters gathered with dozens of tents.

According to a statement from organisers, the encampment will stay until the university discloses its investments, divests from any that “sustain Israeli apartheid, occupation and illegal settlement of Palestine”, and ends partnerships with some Israeli academic institutions.

“If public disruption is the only way to get our voice heard, then we are willing to do that,” said University of Toronto graduate student and encampment spokesperson, Sara Rasikh.

Students also set up encampments at McGill University in Montreal, the University of British Columbia and the University of Ottawa.

Protesters in support of Palestinians at an encampment at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec

SvennoJ said:

Btw thanks for the correction and counter points. I do admit I also get caught up in and deeply distressed by the images coming out of Gaza, which is leading to my feelings against Zionism which really are against the politicized version of Neo-Zionism which has led to ethnic cleansing.

I apologize for coming over as insensitive to the Jewish experience.

All I've wished for for the past 40 years is for people to find a way to live together. It was a bad day when Israel decided to build the separation wall. Walls are never a solution, they only lead to further entrenchment on both sides, leading to misunderstanding today.

And I agree, asking Jewish students whether they are Zionists before letting them pass, is simply wrong. Not only is the question wrong, it's no way to start a discussion to find out what exactly each 'party' asks of each other. And I'm wrong for conflating the Neo-Zionist fascist ideology with Zionism in general.

Perhaps the better slogan for demonstrations would be "From the river to the sea, everyone shall be free".

It's all good. Like I said, I'm not Jewish myself; it's just something I notice. I know you mean well and I commend your intestinal fortitude in being willing to deep dive into the gruesome details of war day in and day out to provide the community here with the most up-to-date information. As I've shared before, my dad never really recovered mentally from the Vietnam War. The damage is much more than what happens to you physically, on the surface level, and it can last for the rest of your life. I've been living with PTSD of my own for most of my life and have to admit that though I try to face the things that trigger reactions, I still have limits.

One thing I know for sure is that the populations of Israel and Palestine writ large are currently living in a traumatized state. They're acting like it. What they're doing is...anything to feel safe. The truth though is that many if not most of these people will never feel safe again; the people of Gaza especially. A growing chorus of people just want it to end though and those are the people, honestly, who give me hope.