By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2023)

Hiku said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It's still a photorealistic depressant,

If Elden Ring is a "brown game", or "photorealistic depressant", then I must have reverse color blindness.

Just say you didn't play the games.

All games not made by Nintendo are brown.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It's still a photorealistic depressant, which is the only reason it won instead of the much better Animal Crossing New Horizons. That game was much needed in a time of crisis because it actually made people feel better instead of pissing them off and/or depressing them. Seems the old trope "True Art Is Angsty" holds unfortunately true to this sham of an award show. It's like the video game equivalent of Leonardo DiCapprio losing out at the Oscars for years while pretentious foreign art films nobody actually saw won every year.

Well gamers choice this year was Baldurs Gate 3 as well though. So it seems like most agree.

Also It Takes Two won 2 years ago and Elden Ring won last year. Seems like you are just disappointed that Nintendo didnt win GOTY.

How can I not be disappointed? Nintendo hardly ever wins Game of The Year anymore. They haven't won in 6 years. -_-

CaptainExplosion said:
KLXVER said:

Well gamers choice this year was Baldurs Gate 3 as well though. So it seems like most agree.

Also It Takes Two won 2 years ago and Elden Ring won last year. Seems like you are just disappointed that Nintendo didnt win GOTY.

How can I not be disappointed? Nintendo hardly ever wins Game of The Year anymore. They haven't won in 6 years. -_-

No company has won it more than once in 6 years either. Winning once in 6 years isn't bad at all, you need to understand there's more to gaming than just Nintendo.

mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

No company has won it more than once in 6 years either. Winning once in 6 years isn't bad at all, you need to understand there's more to gaming than just Nintendo.

Well Sony and From Software technically has. 

Anyway, Im not sure why people want certain companies to win the Game Awards`GOTY so bad. It doesnt change anything about the game. Especially TOTK which is already very successful and one of the highest reviewed game of all time. Better than most games that has ever won GOTY. Isnt that enough?

KLXVER said:
mZuzek said:

Well Sony and From Software technically has. 

Huh, I did not remember Sekiro won the GotY, seems like a bit of a weird pick in hindsight. Sony though, eh, they're a big publisher with tons of big developers under them, I don't think it counts - at least not in the same way as Nintendo EPD winning more than once. Then again, CaptainExplosion would probably be happy with any Nintendo-published game winning.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Xxain said:

They definitely have a new VF coming. 

I'm most interested in the SEGA stuff. Jet Grind Radio looked great, everything else was kinda a mixed bag. Shinobi is doing the artsy fartsy stuff...meh. Streets of Rage has me the most concerned just because of how low budget it looked. Golden Ax looked like a mobile game. Golden Ax along with Streets of Rage, and Crazy Taxi also do not look inhouse at. I'm not even sure if Shinobi is inhouse. This could be awesome for the 90's SEGA fans but it will mostly likely will be mid - disaster. 

Artsy Fartsy? It's Lizardcube who did the Wonderboy III Remake and SOR4 which were excellent with excellent art. And please use the real title. Jet SET Radio. Grind was just the shitty title SOA gave the first game.

For us the real title is Jet GRIND Radio, Just like its RESIDENT EVIL not Biohazard. If you want to use its Japanese name fine, but nothing wrong with calling it Jet Grind radio. Also, I didn't care much for the Art direction for SOR 4 or Wonder Boy remake. 

CaptainExplosion said:
KLXVER said:

TOTK was fantastic, so was BG3. Honestly, my GOTY was probably Hi-Fi Rush. That game was... I wish I had more to play of it!

Xxain said:
Leynos said:

Artsy Fartsy? It's Lizardcube who did the Wonderboy III Remake and SOR4 which were excellent with excellent art. And please use the real title. Jet SET Radio. Grind was just the shitty title SOA gave the first game.

For us the real title is Jet GRIND Radio, Just like its RESIDENT EVIL not Biohazard. If you want to use its Japanese name fine, but nothing wrong with calling it Jet Grind radio. Also, I didn't care much for the Art direction for SOR 4 or Wonder Boy remake. 

Dude the new trailer says Jet Set Radio and the sequel in the US  was Jet Set Radio Future. It just IS the name of the series now and then.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Hiku said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It's still a photorealistic depressant,

If Elden Ring is a "brown game", or "photorealistic depressant", then I must have reverse color blindness.

Just say you didn't play the games.

This view from Liurnia is so damn amazing

This is the most beautiful game I've seen in my life. The graphics may not be a full generational leap from PS4 but the smart use of colors, vibrant and detailed environments and a very well thought production design far outweighs any 4K models 

I am singling out Aonuma simply because he is the boss. He is the face of Zelda today. Even if he is not the architect of all the bad the decisions made during the development of the game, he in one way or another allowed them to happen. mZuzek’s review of the game summarizes pretty well a lot of what’s wrong with the game. Go take a look.

I just can’t begin to explain how much I hate the fact that so much resource was spent on something that completely destroys what was established in BotW, namely ultrahand. In my opinion Zelda is not a box of toys.

To me, Zelda is an adventure in a medieval fantasy world that should be more than just “entertaining”. It should be cool, grand, and remarkable. IMO TotK is none of those things.