By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga Trailer

For this film series, nothing compares to The Road Warrior, that film, from 1981, is by far the best of the series. Sort of like the 1978 film Dawn of the Dead is the best of that series.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Guess a Mad Max movie without, you know, Mad Max, wasn't such a good idea.

This is what's so confusing about leveraging a titular character's name who's not all that popular to begin with.  While it's still a good flick in its own right (and adds an interesting layer to a Fury Road re-watch), it's wild to expend so much energy on this project versus the long-rumored Wasteland sequel.  

2nd weekend rebound wasn't all that great for it either.

coolbeans said:
curl-6 said:

Guess a Mad Max movie without, you know, Mad Max, wasn't such a good idea.

This is what's so confusing about leveraging a titular character's name who's not all that popular to begin with.  While it's still a good flick in its own right (and adds an interesting layer to a Fury Road re-watch), it's wild to expend so much energy on this project versus the long-rumored Wasteland sequel.  

George miller wanted to make this film before fury road was even finished. We should be applauding an artist actually making what they want to make rather than what the studio wants. Also fury road wasn't even a boxoffice hit. It only made 380 million worldwide. 

It's depressing that fan pandering rubbish like deadpool and wolverine will probably massively outgross films with genuine artistic vision and contribute to the creative death of Hollywood.

It's a well made film ... but honestly it felt kind of pointless. We know enough about Furiosa's story in Fury Road and we know what happens to what she wants in that film as is that there's no tension in this film at all. It felt like 2 1/2 hours of a story that's just "OK", but not much in the way the of stakes.

Not sure why they thought this prequel would be such a great idea. A direct sequel to the 2015 movie would have made more sense, though Hardy and Theron apparently did not get along at all working on it so who knows how that would have worked.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 02 June 2024

HoloDust said:

As someone said - there are only 3 Mad Max films, and they all have Mel Gibson in them.

I wouldn't exclude Fury Road personally, I thought that was a fantastic film that is worthy to stand alongside the original trilogy.

Mad Max 2 is still the best though, bloody brilliant film.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:

As someone said - there are only 3 Mad Max films, and they all have Mel Gibson in them.

I wouldn't exclude Fury Road personally, I thought that was a fantastic film that is worthy to stand alongside the original trilogy.

Mad Max 2 is still the best though, bloody brilliant film.

Agreed, the "Road Warrior" is the best film in the series !!!

I haven't watched it yet but I think it's a shame it's not doing very well, because unfortunately there's a high risk that a bomb will prevent any future films being greenlit and thus kill off the series for at least a generation.

It's a series I've really enjoyed and which sparked my imagination ever since I first watched Mad Max 2 as a much-too-young kid. I rank them 2>3>4>1 so far.

HoloDust said:

The best Mad Max film doesn't have Mel Gibson in it, though.

pikashoe said:
coolbeans said:

George miller wanted to make this film before fury road was even finished. We should be applauding an artist actually making what they want to make rather than what the studio wants. Also fury road wasn't even a boxoffice hit. It only made 380 million worldwide. 

It's depressing that fan pandering rubbish like deadpool and wolverine will probably massively outgross films with genuine artistic vision and contribute to the creative death of Hollywood.

NO. If a creator wants my money, then they have to make something for ME. If a creator wants to do something for himself then he can sit at his house and watch his c*p himself (and don't complain about me not watching it).

Oh, and I'm REALLY glad that Deadpool will massively outgroos this movie.

pikashoe said:
coolbeans said:

You're acting like The Wasteland was something Miller wasn't interested in making, which would be news to me.  Sure, it seems like the Furiosa idea won out for him, but I still don't see how you've countered my more overarching critique.  I'm not trying to shit on the film b/c I wanted a different Mad Max, but rather pragmatically viewing the situation.  Very few IPs carry the influence to justify a big budget for a side story.