By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch's successor outsell the original Switch?

Pemalite said:
Wman1996 said:

But here comes the messy part. Switch is a hybrid and there's no clear consensus what gen it is.

Switch is a Portable console with a docking feature which tablets, laptops and phones have had for years and years.

It's technology is pure portable technology.

3DS and WiiU were 8th generation consoles, that makes the Switch a 9th generation console with 8th gen hardware capabilities and feature sets.

Hybrid-a thing made by combining two different elements

Switch is a hybrid

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

No, and I think everyone knows the reason why I would think that. But I'm not going to say it because... wait...

Torpoleon said:

Honestly, 120-130 is probably where the Switch would've ended if it wasn't for the covid bump (maybe 135-140m at best).

Norion said:

the boost it got from the pandemic

Otter said:

The Switch was phenomenon which benefitted both from the pandemic

Slownenberg said:

Also Covid helped boost sales for a couple years as well.

We... we really can say it out loud now without being ridiculed.

I'M FREE! HAHA!

*ahem*

Yeah. What they said. The Switch 2 won't outsell the Switch mainly because the latter got a big boost from the COVID bump.

The Switch formula is a guaranteed hit, though, and I think it will sell very well, probably somewhere in the 110-130M range. As long as Nintendo keeps delivering on the software front, the can play it safe and still expect to sell well over 100M every generation. They don't need to do anything massively radical anymore, just successively more powerful versions of the Switch.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Switch >> Switch 2. I think this is an easy prediction: Switch had a perfect storm with Covid hitting right as the other two were transitioning between generations.

That being said, I do see the successor as being an instant hit! With more third-party support from the stronger hardware and developer confidence in a large install base, I do believe next generation will be a continuation of the “Switch tidal wave” we’ve seen since 2017.

Since the pandemic boost has been mentioned quite a bit, what do you guys think Switch sales would currently be without it?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The safe money is on no. Simply because that level of success is really hard to replicate.

Around the Network

I highly doubt it. It would be really cool if Nintendo finally made a console that far surpassed it's immediate predecessor in sales (the trend has always been the successor sells worse for Nintendo). However, the sales for the Switch are really just astronomical. I mean, the Switch will probably become the third console ever to hit 150M sold (though not sure how much farther it will get if it hits that). I think expecting the successor to, at that point, it's reasonable to expect that the successor won't hit those heights. Not that it CAN'T, but expecting that it should/has to/etc will probably just leave you with disappointment.

I don't think Switch 2 will outsell the original, if the only thing it is is just a more powerful Switch. But it doesn't need to, as the Switch has proven that a singular hybrid platform is more than enough for massive profits.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Among all the consoles that sold more than 100m, only the PS2 outsold its predecessor (PS5 TBD). And the two consoles that sold 150m particularly had large near 50% drops. It's a hard thing to replicate such a degree of success.

I'm predicting it'll sell better in the first years, maybe comfortably so, but when we get to April 2020 in aligned sales the OG Switch will zoom ahead.

zorg1000 said:

Since the pandemic boost has been mentioned quite a bit, what do you guys think Switch sales would currently be without it?

5-15 million less. 

I think Switch 2 will be front-heavy like the Wii and some other Nintendo platforms. If it launches in 2024, 2026 will probably be the peak year. Switch's peak was 2020, whereas even if Switch launches November 2024, the calendar year of 2026 could already be the peak. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

zorg1000 said:
Pemalite said:

Switch is a Portable console with a docking feature which tablets, laptops and phones have had for years and years.

It's technology is pure portable technology.

3DS and WiiU were 8th generation consoles, that makes the Switch a 9th generation console with 8th gen hardware capabilities and feature sets.

Hybrid-a thing made by combining two different elements

Switch is a hybrid

Means my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra is a hybrid.
Means my Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 is a hybrid.
Means my Microsoft Surface laptop is a Hybrid.

It means that literally every tablet, phone and laptop I have owned in the last 20 years is essentially a Hybrid.

They aren't... But you get where I am going with it.

They are mobile devices with output/dock functionality, that's it.

The Switch literally is built 100% around mobile technology.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--