By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - For Super Mario RPG Remake players.

Is Super Mario RPG on Switch your first experience with the game?

Yes 9 30.00%

No, I played the SNES version before 21 70.00%

Total:30
JWeinCom said:
Slownenberg said:

Wow impressive people are saying the remake is clearly better. The original was such a great game, much much muuuuch better than the later Paper Mario series, and my 5th favorite SNES RPG which was a system on which RPGs were insanely good.

TTYD>Super Mario RPG

Also...

Bowser's Inside Story>Mario RPG

Come at me.

Chrkeller said:
JWeinCom said:

TTYD>Super Mario RPG

Also...

Come at me.

I'll make it worse and I'm being serious.

Origami King > TTYD

Hynad said:
Chrkeller said:

Origami King > TTYD

I’m pretty sure you’ll be dead to him. 😅

Funnily enough I agree with both statement there.

The remake of Super Mario RPG is truly a great remade experience that freshed up a game  nobody thought we would have other than on the NSO.

Characters have clear cut personalities(although some shine more than others like Mallow and Bowser, Geno and Peach are quite ordinary in that department). Mario emotes superbly and he has quite the comedic potential of you take the "wrong" dialog option haha.

Story is pretty simplistic and achieves enough that we would want to finish it up. Helped by the fact it ain't a long game by RPG standard.

Despite all this, I think I do have a bigger fondness for the Mario & Luigi RPG's. I preferred their style of comedy and character writing(It does have LUIGI and the best Bowser incarnation after all, which I'd judge as a massive improvement over the SMRPG one). Same gameplay wise, they took note of what Squaresoft did with the action-command system and made it into something greater. 

Anywoo, it doesn't matter which one is truly better. I have a good fondness for most Mario RPG's adventures and the original one will enter my good books as well, once I'm over with it 👍

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

TTYD>Super Mario RPG

Also...

Come at me.

Paper Mario Sticker Star > TTYD

Spoiler!
jk lol

Chrkeller said:
JWeinCom said:

TTYD>Super Mario RPG

Also...

Come at me.

Origami King > TTYD

Oragami King was a really good game. Only thing is Oragami King is not an RPG in any real sense of the word, so it's hard to even really compare. I wouldn't agree with that, but I also don't think it's an insane opinion.

JWeinCom said:
Chrkeller said:

Origami King > TTYD

Oragami King was a really good game. Only thing is Oragami King is not an RPG in any real sense of the word, so it's hard to even really compare. I wouldn't agree with that, but I also don't think it's an insane opinion.

Fair deal.  It is a tough comparison.  I just really thought Origami had creative puzzle based bosses and best humor.  Granted, other than color splash, I've really enjoyed the series.  

Chrkeller said:
JWeinCom said:

Fair deal.  It is a tough comparison.  I just really thought Origami had creative puzzle based bosses and best humor.  Granted, other than color splash, I've really enjoyed the series.  

Oragami King is really a story based puzzle game more than an RPG. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It succeeds at what it tries to do... but I prefer the RPG style, especially as they hadn't really done one in so long.

As for Super Mario RPG, I beat it including the post game bosses. Quite a bit shorter than I remember, but I'm not entirely mad about that. I had a lot more fun with it than I did with FE Engage for instance, and in a shorter period of time, so that's kind of a win in my book. But, I feel like I probably would have had about the same amount of fun just replaying the original. The QOL changes are nice, but they made the game a bit too easy IMO except for the post game bosses. Not a whole lot is added, and which visuals you like will largely be a matter of preference. So, if you already have the SNES version available to you in some shape or form, I dunno if this is quite worth the money.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Chrkeller said:

Oragami King is really a story based puzzle game more than an RPG. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It succeeds at what it tries to do... but I prefer the RPG style, especially as they hadn't really done one in so long.

As for Super Mario RPG, I beat it including the post game bosses. Quite a bit shorter than I remember, but I'm not entirely mad about that. I had a lot more fun with it than I did with FE Engage for instance, and in a shorter period of time, so that's kind of a win in my book. But, I feel like I probably would have had about the same amount of fun just replaying the original. The QOL changes are nice, but they made the game a bit too easy IMO except for the post game bosses. Not a whole lot is added, and which visuals you like will largely be a matter of preference. So, if you already have the SNES version available to you in some shape or form, I dunno if this is quite worth the money.

Mario rpg is shorter than I remember.  I got 5 stars and I'm only 6.5 hours in.  It is also way easier than remember.  I haven't struggled at all.  Been a while since I played the original but I feel over leveled and not sure why.

I played the original SNES version when I was growing up and I've played it through the years whenever Nintendo decided to release it online. The remake manages to embrace all of the charm of the original with a graphical upgrade. My only issue is the lack of difficulty. I just beat the Axem Rangers (which my name is based off their ship...with a slightly different spelling) so not sure about what content is after beating the game but I hope they have a new game+ or have one in the works for the future.

Chrkeller said:

Mario rpg is shorter than I remember.  I got 5 stars and I'm only 6.5 hours in.  It is also way easier than remember.  I haven't struggled at all.  Been a while since I played the original but I feel over leveled and not sure why.

The remake adds a bunch of things that makes it easier (timed hits can damage other enemies if done at the right time, triple moves, members can be swapped out during the battle)

axumblade said:

I played the original SNES version when I was growing up and I've played it through the years whenever Nintendo decided to release it online. The remake manages to embrace all of the charm of the original with a graphical upgrade. My only issue is the lack of difficulty. I just beat the Axem Rangers (which my name is based off their ship...with a slightly different spelling) so not sure about what content is after beating the game but I hope they have a new game+ or have one in the works for the future.

Spoiler!
You can refight some of the old bosses. No new game plus, although a master quest mode would have really been a great addition. Most of them provide a decent challenge, but nothing crazy. The bosses have gimmicks so they require a bit more strategy than simply attacking with Mario + 1 other and healing with Peach when necessary. They can also generally do enough damage to break through the lazy shell armor, so there's that.

Are there more frog coins in the remake? I feel like I got the 2x exp ring really early in the game and mario is a beast at this point.