By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Your expectations

Performance ridiculously ... 0 0%

Really below current gen,... 2 100.00%

Slightly below current ge... 0 0%

On pair with current gen,... 0 0%

Total:2
Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

Someone said it would be near serie s from that video obviously its not, and dlss is not magic and really depends on the game. Besides if you saw the dlc for cyber it had to run at 720p with upscaling to get 60fps games are only getting more demanding as we leave last gen consoles behind. 

It's not running last gen settings though it was running the PS5 current gen settings that max out a PS5 and is able to run them at 1080p balanced DLSS. Which for a 4GB budget chip is not bad at all. 

Ps4 pro seems to run death stranding better.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

From that test, they're running Cyberpunk 2077 with Playstation 5 (PS5, not PS4) equivalent settings and the 2050 was getting about 30 fps. It looks to me like if they used a dynamic version of DLSS Performance and Balanced combined (going into performance mode for more challenging scenes) they would get more of a locked 30. 

For Control, they state PS5/XSX run it at 1440p on low settings (yes, low) with medium ray traced reflections ... the 2050 was matching that with ray traced reflections at 1080p DLSS Balanced. 

It was also able to run one of the better looking next-gen exclusives in A Plague's Tale quite well (30 fps even with the rat swarm scene). 

None of these games have the benefit of being optimized by a dev team specifically for the 2050 hardware either like the PS5/XSX (and Switch 2) will have benefit of. Performance would be better if a dev team of 20-30 people sat down with the hardware and worked on a port just for that hardware for 3-6 months. Invariably you're going to get better performance when developers do that.  

That video is not I'd want to be sharing if your point is a 2050 isn't extremely capable as a chip. It was able to run several PS5-equivalent comparisons there and showed quite well for a low power chip with only 4GB RAM. 

Someone said it would be near serie s from that video obviously its not, and dlss is not magic and really depends on the game. Besides if you saw the dlc for cyber it had to run at 720p with upscaling to get 60fps games are only getting more demanding as we leave last gen consoles behind. 

The last point of your post is the aspect that I think people are missing.  There was a massive gpu shortage and games leveled off in requirements.  The shortage is over and gaming will get jumps from here.  We are already seeing it now.  

Either way pikmin 5 and LM4 on a 2050....  yes please.  

The irony of DLSS is the intent.  It is an AI model.  The more data points of input the better results.  It works well for 1080 to 1440p or 1440p to 1080p.  I have no idea people think it takes low resolution and magically makes it high resolution.  Low resolution doesn't have enough data points to be effective.  It creates artifacts when used at low resolutions.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 13 February 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

The 2050 runs a pretty good version of Alan Wake II, note if you have no played this game this is NSFW (nudity as well, and not of the kind you probably want to see) so don't say I didn't warn you:

Towards the end he even bumps the settings to High and it's still able to go over 30 fps in areas, though I think this is a total waste of power, Low/Medium/High on Alan Wake II have very little difference. 

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

The last point of your post is the aspect that I think people are missing.  There was a massive gpu shortage and games leveled off in requirements.  The shortage is over and gaming will get jumps from here.  We are already seeing it now.  

Exactly I really don't get  why some people want switch to match home consoles so bad if you really care about power get a home console or a PC. The fact is switch is not even out yet and by the time it comes out and actually starts getting a good amount of thirdparty games it won't be close to ps5 and it's gonna look really dated in 3- 4 years with ps5 pro and ps6 or new xbox.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Exactly I really don't get  why some people want switch to match home consoles so bad if you really care about power get a home console or a PC. The fact is switch is not even out yet and by the time it comes out and actually starts getting a good amount of thirdparty games it won't be close to ps5 and it's gonna look really dated in 3- 4 years with ps5 pro and ps6 or new xbox.

The PS5 is what it is. There's no magic it has, if it did it would run Cyberpunk 2077 better than it does, unless you are saying they purposely gimped the port of the game. 1440p/60 fps at medium tier settings is the max it can do. Maybe you can squeeze a touch more, but I seriously doubt the Cyberpunk 2077 developers left like 30-40% performance on the floor, if the PS5 was able to run that game at like 60 fps/4K, I'm sure they would be happy to do it. It can't do that because resolutions above 1440p are incredibly taxing on any GPU and eat up a disproportionate amount of power to make an already clean looking image even sharper. 

Just like a 2050 isn't a PS5 exactly, a PS5 certainly isn't a high end GPU either. 

If we're going to bring a 2050 into this, a 2050 runs anything a PS5 can with some dropped settings sure, but it's no game a PS5 game run right now that a 2050 wouldn't be able to run in playable state barring exclusivity nonsense. It's not like the PS5 is running anything at High/Ultra settings, it's ray tracing abilities are shit too, and that's going to be the standard for the next 4-5 years really, like it or not. PS5 Pro is never going to touch sales of the base model. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 13 February 2024

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

The PS5 is what it is. There's no magic it has, if it did it would run Cyberpunk 2077 better than it does, unless you are saying they purposely gimped the port of the game. 1440p/60 fps at medium tier settings is the max it can do. 

Just like a 2050 isn't a PS5 exactly, a PS5 certainly isn't a high end GPU either. 

If we're going to bring a 2050 into this, a 2050 runs anything a PS5 can with some dropped settings sure, but it's no game a PS5 game run right now that a 2050 wouldn't be able to run in playable state barring exclusivity nonsense. It's not like the PS5 is running anything at High/Ultra settings, it's ray tracing abilities are shit too, and that's going to be the standard for the next 4-5 years really, like it or not. PS5 Pro is never going to touch sales of the base model. 

Ps5 is gonna be 4 years old by the time switch 2 comes out. My point if anyone cares about third-party games and graphics and performance at the minimum they would have a ps5 by now or a pc equivalent. Now if you want a powerful handheld switch will be a great choice.

And ps5 pro doesn't need to touch sales of base models but if you care about graphics and performance it looking like a great buy.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Wishful thinking I guess?  People love the idea of a $400 console meeting all their gaming needs?  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

The PS5 is what it is. There's no magic it has, if it did it would run Cyberpunk 2077 better than it does, unless you are saying they purposely gimped the port of the game. 1440p/60 fps at medium tier settings is the max it can do. Maybe you can squeeze a touch more, but I seriously doubt the Cyberpunk 2077 developers left like 30-40% performance on the floor, if the PS5 was able to run that game at like 60 fps/4K, I'm sure they would be happy to do it. It can't do that because resolutions above 1440p are incredibly taxing on any GPU and eat up a disproportionate amount of power to make an already clean looking image even sharper. 

Pretty sure everyone agrees.  A 1070 runs 95% the same games as a 4090.   Running the same games is common, it isn't 1990 anymore.  Running the same games doesn't equate to same class of hardware. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Wishful thinking I guess?  People love the idea of a $400 console meeting all their gaming needs?  

Not really I mean if you are gamer into thirdparty games and care about graphics and perfomance I don't think you gonna wait 4 years to get a switch 2 u less you only buy Nintendo and are against buying anything else.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

The PS5 is what it is. There's no magic it has, if it did it would run Cyberpunk 2077 better than it does, unless you are saying they purposely gimped the port of the game. 1440p/60 fps at medium tier settings is the max it can do. 

Ps5 is gonna be 4 years old by the time switch 2 comes out. My point if anyone cares about third-party games and graphics and performance at the minimum they would have a ps5 by now or a pc equivalent. Now if you want a powerful handheld switch will be a great choice.

And ps5 pro doesn't need to touch sales of base models but if you care about graphics and performance it looking like a great buy.

I wish I never bought a PS5, thing is collecting dust and gets used once in a blue moon as a 4K Blu-Ray player for my QD-OLED. 

Sony's games are polished, but it's the same shit over and over again, played Spider-Man 2 for 15 minutes and just quit, haven't touched it since launch week and zero desire to play it at all. I find the Quest 3 to honestly be a far more interesting gaming device (not paying $700 for a VR headset that has to be wired to a PS5, sorry Sony).