By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Your expectations

Performance ridiculously ... 0 0%

Really below current gen,... 2 100.00%

Slightly below current ge... 0 0%

On pair with current gen,... 0 0%

Total:2

8 nm would be interesting. Consume more energy, less efficient, generate more heat and slower.... we shall see soon enough. But if true, expect downclocking speeds.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Blazerz said:

Troll harder. 8nm is so inefficient it was never going to happen (would actually be more efficient to get a weaker chip and overclock it). 4-5nm it is.

So DF think it's most likely gonna happen and one of the most reliable leakers says that's what the chip is and  i'm trolling but hey we will see soon enough.

The discussions here have ruled it out long ago. https://famiboards.com/threads/future-nintendo-hardware-technology-speculation-discussion-st-read-the-staff-posts-before-commenting.55/

Stop using fake and/or 2 year outdated information. With 12 sms, it would be terrible inefficient at 8nm. It will be 5nm.

Last edited by Blazerz - on 10 February 2024

Blazerz said:
zeldaring said:

So DF think it's most likely gonna happen and one of the most reliable leakers says that's what the chip is and  i'm trolling but hey we will see soon enough.

The discussions here have ruled it out long ago. https://famiboards.com/threads/future-nintendo-hardware-technology-speculation-discussion-st-read-the-staff-posts-before-commenting.55/

Stop using fake and/or 2 year outdated information. With 12 sms, it would be terrible inefficient at 8nm. It will be 5nm.

Lol i don't care what some Nintendo fans on a Nintendo board with wishful thinking have to say. To me 8 inch screen plus koplite sayingits 8nm and df saying it's the most likely scenario plus the leaked documents saying saying 8nm means it mostly likely will be a 8nm but hey if I'm wrong I'll eat crow and  but I hope you are prepared to the same.

zeldaring said:

I googled koplite reliable leaker and every source says he's very reliable leaker with one saying he's 90% right but never mind  that.  why in heck would ninetndo make it a 8 inch screen switch that's a gonna be huge device and that really doesn't play into the device strength for being portable,  the only logical reason is 8nm.

So you don't know if Kopite "does this for a living." All you know is that there is buzz around their leaks and that they are often (but nowhere near always) accurate. 

There are many reasons to add an 8 inch screen that have nothing to do with wanting a bigger device because you use an inefficient process node. 

Switch's aren't necessarily pocketable, and batter life is much more important to portability. A larger device allows more battery real-estate. Many complaints from the Switch's mostly adult male users was that the size was too small and cramp. 

One notices that other portable gaming devices are much bigger than the Switch. And Nintendo can always release a Switch 2 mini or lite for the children demographic. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 10 February 2024

I think now that the switch 2 will be closer to steam deck performance

BiON!@ 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
zeldaring said:

I googled koplite reliable leaker and every source says he's very reliable leaker with one saying he's 90% right but never mind  that.  why in heck would ninetndo make it a 8 inch screen switch that's a gonna be huge device and that really doesn't play into the device strength for being portable,  the only logical reason is 8nm.

So you don't know if Kopite "does this for a living." All you know is that there is buzz around their leaks and that they are often (but nowhere near always) accurate. 

There are many reasons to add an 8 inch screen that have nothing to do with wanting a bigger device because you use an inefficient process node. 

Switch's aren't necessarily pocketable, and batter life is much more important to portability. A larger device allows more battery real-estate. Many complaints from the Switch's mostly adult male users was that the size was too small and cramp. 

One notices that other portable gaming devices are much bigger than the Switch. And Nintendo can always release a Switch 2 mini or lite for the children demographic. 

Other portable devices are bigger but switch is destroying them in sales along with being extremely dated tech. Think about it for a second and how Nintendo works they could have easily made oled switch 2  with a 7 inch screen and really fixed the biggest gripe with the switch which is the lcd screen but you expect them make  the screen bigger because a few male gamers complained when the Switch is probably gonna end up the best selling console of all time. A big bulky device is not gonna be good for sales but with 8nm they have too and they will release a mini and oled screen a the smaller chip in 2 years.

We have no idea how Nintendo works under Furukawa, hardware under Iwata was very different from hardware under Yamauchi. 

A huge complex chip is nothing like the Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, etc. either, that whole line of logic goes down the toilet at 5nm or 8nm it doesn't matter. Those old Nintendo systems were compact, low power, and yes cheap devices. This chip even at 8nm wouldn't be that. It's a huge chip, almost the size of a XBox Series S.

If Nintendo wanted to be cheap they would have used 8SM max, even 6SM probably.

The Nvidia leak says nothing about 8nm either. It says 12SM ... 12SM is shit ton of graphics cores and frankly way overkill for supposed "PS4 only!" performance. This is not going to be a cheap system.

Why they are using so many graphics cores on such a massive chip is a giant question mark right now, if we believe its 8nm. It doesn't make sense from even a cost perspective, you could easily cut the system down to 8SM and have PS4 performance if that's all you wanted to do and saved money. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 10 February 2024

zeldaring said:
sc94597 said:

Other portable devices are bigger but switch is destroying them in sales along with being extremely dated tech. Think about it for a second and how Nintendo works they could have easily made oled switch 2  with a 7 inch screen and really fixed the biggest gripe with the switch which is the lcd screen but you expect them make  the screen bigger because a few male gamers complained when the Switch is probably gonna end up the best selling console of all time. A big bulky device is not gonna be good for sales but with 8nm they have too and they will release a mini and oled screen a the smaller chip in 2 years.

If having a small sized form factor mattered as much as you suggest (i.e. it is the reason why Nintendo outsells handheld PC's*) then Nintendo wouldn't go with an 8NM chip. They don't "have to" go with the chip if they think it is a burden to their sales potential. 

Again, battery life matters more than a slightly bigger size anyway. People want handhelds that last longer between plug-ins, not necessarily pocketable ones (which the Switch isn't.)

*It is not the reason why Nintendo's platform sells better. Exclusive titles and price are.

It doesn't really even make sense cost wise.

Why even use 12SMs (1536 graphics cores) but then really not make much use of the graphics cores because you're going to clock them ridiculously low (like maybe 400 MHz docked? 200 MHz undocked?).

You could get the same performance from 8SMs (1024 graphics cores), clocked them a bit higher and have saved money.

If you were interested strictly in making the cheapest system possible, you're paying more for this absurdly large (at 8nm) chip for no real gain. Tell me again how this is the same as the Wii, DS, 3DS, etc? 

Digital Foundry also believes The Matrix Unreal Engine 5 demo on the Switch 2 did indeed happen, so if you're going to accept everything they say as gospel, guess you have to accept that one too. 

zeldaring said:
Blazerz said:

Lol i don't care what some Nintendo fans on a Nintendo board with wishful thinking have to say. To me 8 inch screen plus koplite sayingits 8nm and df saying it's the most likely scenario plus the leaked documents saying saying 8nm means it mostly likely will be a 8nm but hey if I'm wrong I'll eat crow and  but I hope you are prepared to the same.

It would quite literally be easier to use 8 sms at higher clocks to achieve the same or BETTER results as 12sm on 8nm.