By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Your expectations

Performance ridiculously ... 0 0%

Really below current gen,... 2 100.00%

Slightly below current ge... 0 0%

On pair with current gen,... 0 0%

Total:2
Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

There's no such thing as "PS4 level power" ... it's irrelevant today, I'm not sure why so many of you can't understand that PS4 power is only relevant to a system from that time period using that exact class of chip (GCN2 era chipsets which are ancient).

The moment you're talking about architecture that 3-4 generations ahead of that, the comparison becomes meaningless because modern chips can run modern engine games a PS4 can't.

Also not sure why people here fixate solely on consoles, the more relevant comparable may well be the Steam Deck, the Steam Deck runs almost every PS5-era title. Now you can whine and moan and gate keep all you want about you refuse to play games at this setting or this frame rate, but you don't speak for everyone or even close to everyone, it's like those audio elitists who look down at every sound bar because it's not a proper giant sized set of speakers. Like no one cares. Also those games on Steam Deck are not even really optimized specifically for the Steam Deck hardware, they're just PC games with settings sliders changed a bit, the Steam Deck would be able to run all those more demanding games better if the developer actually sat down with a full dev team and spent 6-8 months specifically optimizing just for Steam Deck hardware like console ports have the benefit of. This is a huge, huge difference, people are stupid if they're just going to hand wave that away. With better optimization pretty much all of those more demanding Steam Deck games would be able to run at a higher frame rate and/or resolution/effects settings. 

Steam Deck and now ROG Ally are basically their own class of machine. Engines are much more scalable today and comparing to devices that have no internal fan and are pocket sized like an iPhone makes no sense either. Switch 2 is a tablet sized portable with an active fan, it's more logical to compare to a full size iPad and a full size modern iPad would be able to run lots of PS5 games if developers wanted to port them. And even there iPads don't even have the benefit of active cooling and a "docked mode" when connected to power which the Switch 2 will have, they have to run off passive cooling all the time. 

The power of the chip is not the issue on those devices, it's the size of the system (bigger = easier to cool) and whether you have an active fan or not, the chip in the current iPhones can perform a lot higher if it was allowed to run at full performance and had active cooling.

All I know is you hyped the iPhone as something the big three should be afraid of.  And it turns out the iPhone and apple's magical chips run games sub ps4 level...  not sub ps5 level.  Not sub ps4 pro level.  But literally RE4 is hot garbage on the iPhone and doesn't touch the fidelity of the base ps4.  And here we are with hyping of mobile hardware yet again.  

Modern consoles are far more powerful than you give them credit for.  If you don't care about graphics and framerates, that is fine.  But there will be a massive gap between the fidelity of the ps5 and switch 2.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Arp3H_mgR8

Iphone 15 pro Max, looks like it would need like 4 times its current performance, to match a base PS4 (in this game).
However.... that is still insane.... its a PHONE..... its not ment to be able to match a console, that again, draws 100's of watts of power.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Chrkeller said:

All I know is you hyped the iPhone as something the big three should be afraid of.  And it turns out the iPhone and apple's magical chips run games sub ps4 level...  not sub ps5 level.  Not sub ps4 pro level.  But literally RE4 is hot garbage on the iPhone and doesn't touch the fidelity of the base ps4.  And here we are with hyping of mobile hardware yet again.  

Modern consoles are far more powerful than you give them credit for.  If you don't care about graphics and framerates, that is fine.  But there will be a massive gap between the fidelity of the ps5 and switch 2.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Arp3H_mgR8

Iphone 15 pro Max, looks like it would need like 4 times its current performance, to match a base PS4 (in this game).
However.... that is still insane.... its a PHONE..... its not ment to be able to match a console, that again, draws 100's of watts of power.

It is most certainly impressive and crazy.  Just an example of overhype..  it was never fair of people to expect ps5 performance from a phone.  The reason I dislike overhype is it creates unfair expectations.  A phone running a modern game is rather crazy.

Hopefully mobile chips keep getting better.  I love the idea of a small form factor high end PC.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 11 January 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

JRPGfan said:

Well, the Steam Deck doesn't draw 100's of Watts, only 15. And it still runs much faster AND looks much better at the same time AND is much cheaper:

Why do people act like Steam Deck and ROG Ally don't exist? Lol. We already know mobile chips can run the highest end modern games, there's no debate about that, the ROG Ally even at the lower 15 watts setting can run Alan Wake 2, which is basically the best looking modern game.

And again, you have to understand this is not even the max performance, these games are not optimized properly for hardware, with consoles you get a dev team to actually sit down and tailor make a version of a game specifically to one hardware spec, these are just PC games with settings sliders moved around, if a a dedicated dev team actually sat down and worked on a port for like 6-8 months, fine tuning every area of the game just for one piece of hardware, you'd have better performance than this. 

There is a lot of performance being left unused because there's not much optimization here, you have to basically look at this as maybe 75-80% of the actual performance this chip could get. Games like this where you're seeing like 30-40 fps, under proper optimization you could be seeing 50-60 fps if they were traditional consoles.

And this system was widely available over the holidays for $399.99 (for the 512GB version no less), discounted down, you have to figure the actual manufacturing cost is considerably below $400 since ASUS doesn't make money from games. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 11 January 2024

Jules98 said:

New specs leak just dropped:

• T239 SoC

• TSMC N4 node process (4 nanometre?)

• 8-core A78C CPU, clock rates unknown, don't know what's meant by GA10F (this could be the GPU line)

• 12 stream multiprocessor GPU, performance ranging from 3.5 to 4.5 TFLOPs docked and 1.7 to 2.0 TFLOPs handheld

• 12 or 16GB RAM, LPDDR5 DRAM

• 100GB/s memory bandwidth docked and 88GB/s handheld

• Memory cache specifics uncertain, Tegra GPU cores may be able to access CPU cache

• Display is 8" screen with 1080p and 60hz refresh rate

• Internal storage either 256 or 512GB

• Cartridge specifics unknown, but 3D-NAND may provide a cost-effective way to significantly increase storage

• Expanded/external(?) storage and battery details remain unknown

https://universonintendo.com/artigo-tecnico-quais-configuracoes-poderiamos-ter-no-proximo-hardware-nintendo/

Sounds about right and consistent with the leak. 

Puts it roughly in line with (maybe a bit better than) last year's PC handhelds (Rog Ally, Lenovo Legion GO), and towards the mid end of what probably will be available in November of this year, PC handheld-wise. 

So basically a Rog Ally-level device with DLSS and close-platform optimizations likely enabling it to target slightly better image quality at the same graphics settings/frame rates. I suspect that Nintendo might target a slightly higher power-consumption profile than Switch 1 given it probably will be bigger than the original switch (supporting a larger battery) and mobile active cooling systems have gotten a lot better since 2017. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

And this system was widely available over the holidays for $399.99 (for the 512GB version no less), discounted down, you have to figure the actual manufacturing cost is considerably below $400 since ASUS doesn't make money from games. 

I don't know about discounts, but ROG Ally was launched at msrp US$599 and US$699.
And these newer modern portable gaming devices are bigger and heavier than Switch.

Steam Deck for example weighs nearly twice that off an OLED Switch.

What can be done, and what Nintendo opts to do tends to vary a lot.
My hopes are that Nintendo make Switch 2 reasonably powerful. But I'm not confident that it'll turn out that way.
That said, I'm not caught up with how reliable all the rumors are. If Eurogamer for example verify something, I'd be inclined to trust them on it.

Last edited by Hiku - on 11 January 2024

Soundwave said:

Why do people act like Steam Deck and ROG Ally don't exist? Lol. We already know mobile chips can run the highest end modern games, there's no debate about that, the ROG Ally even at the lower 15 watts setting can run Alan Wake 2, which is basically the best looking modern game.

And again, you have to understand this is not even the max performance, these games are not optimized properly for hardware, with consoles you get a dev team to actually sit down and tailor make a version of a game specifically to one hardware spec, these are just PC games with settings sliders moved around, if a a dedicated dev team actually sat down and worked on a port for like 6-8 months, fine tuning every area of the game just for one piece of hardware, you'd have better performance than this. 

There is a lot of performance being left unused because there's not much optimization here, you have to basically look at this as maybe 75-80% of the actual performance this chip could get. Games like this where you're seeing like 30-40 fps, under proper optimization you could be seeing 50-60 fps if they were traditional consoles.

Run and run well are two different things.  Alan Wake 2 rendered at 600p, upscaled to 720p, RT off and with virtually all settings on low quality is going to look meh on a big TV.  

Any game can be ported to any system, if a developer so chooses.  Just a matter of sacrifices and mobile comes with a lot of them.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 11 January 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Thisar said:
Zippy6 said:

That site doesn't seem to give any source, just looks like they're just taking a bunch of very old rumours and creating a new article with them.

Eurogamers breakdown of the T239 and what to expect is still the most realistic in my opinion: Inside Nvidia's new hardware for Switch 2: what is the T239 processor? | Eurogamer.net

If i remember well, universonintendo main writer, felipe necro, also said a new "powerful" nintendo console was going to be released in 2023.

I doubt they have any meaningful inside info about nintendo. Universonintendo is from Brazil, a country nintendo just recently started supporting.

He did gave some hints about Directs dates and knew about the Nintendo returnal to Brazil before it was announced. He's reliable but sometimes he's off, just like a lot of other leakers.

The specs on his article are also not new... If you read OP in the Future Nintendo Hardware thread at Famiboards you'll see that based on a Nvidia hack and LinkedIn listings that these are the expected specs by some very knowleageable people there.

Personally, I'm expecting it to be a lot more powerful than a PS4, just like the Switch was way ahead of the PS3. It won't be as powerful as the PS5, but the power gap between the Switch 2 and the PS5 will be smaller than the power gap between the Switch 1 and the PS4.

Pemalite said:
shikamaru317 said:

2. 64 GB of internal storage. Games continue to get bigger and bigger, with some games like CoD now regularly over 100 GB, and the upcoming GTA 6 likely shaping up to be 200 GB+. How in the heck will Switch 2 get ports of these games with such low internal storage? Xbox for instance already committed to putting CoD on Switch 2, but how in the heck will they manage to get a 100 GB+ game to fit on Switch 2? Physical carts only, no digital download? Solid state storage is fairly cheap now, you can get a 500 GB PCIe 3.0 SSD at retail for like $35 now, and Nintendo is buying wholesale, not retail. Why not go big on storage and embrace digital sales where the profit margin for Nintendo is much higher than on physical sales where they waste alot of money on pricey carts?

Keep in mind a lot of that storage consumption is due to things like uncompressed audio assets.

Games dont need to be 100GB-200GB, it's a developer choice, the Switch 2 by having inferior hardware is thus going to have downgraded assets, which means space savings.

MicroSD cards will be the way to go to augment storage.

MicroSD cards will probably be too slow by that point for many games, especially for texture streaming. M.2 2230 SSDs would be better and also cheaper past 256GB than MicroSD cards, but also much larger and more difficult to handle for most clients. As such I think Nintendo could come up with their own propietary standard that would be fast enough but also just as easy to handle as an SD card or a cartridge.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

MicroSD cards will probably be too slow by that point for many games, especially for texture streaming. M.2 2230 SSDs would be better and also cheaper past 256GB than MicroSD cards, but also much larger and more difficult to handle for most clients. As such I think Nintendo could come up with their own propietary standard that would be fast enough but also just as easy to handle as an SD card or a cartridge.

Awwww hell no. Let's not repeat the mistake of the Xbox Series SSD's or the Vita memory cards. Proprietary always shafts consumers on value.