By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Your expectations

Performance ridiculously ... 0 0%

Really below current gen,... 2 100.00%

Slightly below current ge... 0 0%

On pair with current gen,... 0 0%

Total:2
Conina said:

Here are the batteries of the Switch and the Steam Deck (LCD):

The battery of the Steam Deck can hold more than double of the energy, but is of course approximately double the size and double the weight.

Switch weight = 297 grams.
Steam Deck weight = 669 grams.

A steam deck weights over twice as much as a switch.

This might also be one of the things, that prevents nintendo getting too powerfull a system in their handhelds.
I suspect because its marketed towards families and kids, they want it light weight (smaller/lighter than a Steam Deck).

Around the Network
Conina said:
sc94597 said:

The Steam Deck has a 5300 MAH battery versus the projection of a 5600 MAH battery given that speculated 30% increase over the original Switch. So doesn't sound too far fetched. 

Please use Wh (watt hours) instead of Ah (ampere hours) for battery capacity comparisons.

Ampere hours are depending on the voltage of the devices.

Switch and Steam deck have different voltages, Switch 2 will probably also have different voltages.

Watt hours are a unit of energy that represents the capacity of power (in watts) to be expended over a period of one hour.

In contrast, amp hours measure the current (in amps) over a period of time.

Oh I know. Wasn't meaning to compare total energy capacity between the two, but charge capacity is more directly correlated with the surface area of the battery than energy and we don't know the voltages of the Switch 2 to compare on a energy basis anyway. We don't even know the size and target TGP of the Switch 2 (only rumors on those.) So charge capacity (correlating with the size of mobile devices increasing) is all we can compare on right now. 

Edit: NatetheHate has suggested the Switch 2 will have an 8inch screen size, which is why I was comparing to the Steam Deck. It's probably going to be bigger than the Switch OLED (although probably not as big as the Steam Deck.) 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 17 November 2023

JRPGfan said:

This might also be one of the things, that prevents nintendo getting too powerfull a system in their handhelds.
I suspect because its marketed towards families and kids, they want it light weight (smaller/lighter than a Steam Deck).

I think Nintendo has actually moved beyond focusing only on "families and kids." The age distribution of their survey results are roughly comparable to those of other platforms. 

One of the major complaints of the original Switch was it was too cramped for people's large hands. 

And then of course if the rumors are true, we're looking at an 8inch screen (versus the OLED's 7inch.) 

I think the Switch 2 will be in between the original Switch and Steam Deck/Rog Ally in terms of size. With potentially a Switch 2 lite refresh further down the line for the kids demographic. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 17 November 2023

sc94597 said:
JRPGfan said:

I think Nintendo has actually moved beyond focusing only on "families and kids." The age distribution of their survey results are roughly comparable to those of other platforms. 

One of the major complaints of the original Switch was it was too cramped for people's large hands. 

And then of course if the rumors are true, we're looking at an 8inch screen (versus the OLED's 7inch.) 

I think the Switch 2 will be in between the original Switch and Steam Deck/Rog Ally in terms of size. With potentially a Switch 2 lite refresh further down the line for the kids demographic. 

I wonder how accurate those numbers are.  My kids each have their own switch but registered to my account so they would show up as much older in the figures then they actually are.

And I don't think they have moved on at all.  Wonder is excellent family fun especially since yoshi can't get hit.

At least I hope they didn't move on.  Nintendo is one of the few that still supports couch coop.  I love playing games with the family.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 17 November 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

I wonder how accurate those numbers are.  My kids each have their own switch but registered to my account so they would show up as much older in the figures then they actually are.

That would affect the second chart, but not the first (which is asking adults with emails, including those with families, about the person most excited for the Switch.) 

There are a few things to consider: 

1. Developed countries are ageing and birth rates have dropped. Nintendo is acutely aware of this being a Japanese company. 

2. The results show us that older people (remember Nintendo used to target seniors) aren't playing the Switch as much as 20-35 year olds. Nintendo has de-emphasized its "brain training" audience with the Switch generation, and likely will continue to do so as more people have grown up gaming, even as they age. We also observe this in their advertisements. In the past, most of their ads had three-four generations (by age) of players in them, and now most ads target 20-35 year olds. 

3. The two distributions roughly match, even though they are measuring different things (activity vs. excitement.) 

4. Older gamers likely have higher attach ratios than children. So they are a very valuable demographic on a per-user revenue basis. 

5. The Switch lite has sold relatively low compared to the other SKUs, implying portability isn't a major concern for Switch users if it comes with tradeoffs.

6. Even if this data is off, it's the data Nintendo's marketing team collected and will inform their sales strategy and R&D. 

Around the Network

The data could be accurate, my comment was more of a curiosity than a statement. I have 3 switch units registered to me. I never responded to any surveys. I just want Nintendo to keep couch coop like pikmin 4.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Nintendo's fans are majority adults at this point, that's just what happens when you pile successive generations of fans on top of each other for decade after decade, they will begin to outnumber the "children" because you can only have to so many 6-14 year olds lets say at any given time but the aging side of the fanbase is adding millions of "for life" fans every Nintendo product cycle. 

Same thing happened with comic book characters, at one time Spider-Man and Batman and characters like that were for (well) children. But today, the fanbase is overwhelmingly adults. Because you have people who were fans from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, etc., that outweighs the kids.

Nintendo made "lifer fans" from the NES/GB, then the SNES, then the N64/GBC Pokemon Boom Era, then GCN + GBA, then DS + Wii era, then 3DS + Wii U and even with Switch, if you got a Switch in say 2017 as a child (say age 12) ... you are today either 18 or close to it. Then throw in declining birth rates in the West and Japan, and welp, you get a situation where the fanbase has become like probably 70%+ adults or at least 70%+ 16 and over. In the next 3-4 years you're going to have even more "Nintendo kids" who got Switch as their first Nintendo console graduating up in age to become 17-23 years old.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 17 November 2023

JRPGfan said:
Conina said:

Here are the batteries of the Switch and the Steam Deck (LCD):

The battery of the Steam Deck can hold more than double of the energy, but is of course approximately double the size and double the weight.

Apples and oranges? Comparing one device without controllers and the other with controllers?

The Steam Deck weights more, but NOT over twice.

• Switch LCD weight (controllers included): 398 g
  • Switch OLED weight (controllers included): 420 g with a 16-Wh-battery
  • Steam Deck OLED weight: 640 g with a 50-Wh-battery (more than triple the capacity)
  • Steam Deck LCD weight: 669 g with a 40-Wh battery
  • ROG Ally weight: 608 g with a 40-Wh battery
  • Ayaneo Air Pro weight: 440 g with a 38-Wh battery

• my Switch OLED with Hori Splitpad Pro controllers: 474 g

Last edited by Conina - on 17 November 2023

sc94597 said:

When the RTX 3050ti does outperform the RTX 3050 6GB, we're looking at 5%-10% gains in average framerates (but still often worse 1% lows.) When the RTX 3050 6GB outperforms the RTX 3050ti 4GB, such as in Assassins' Creed Valhalla or Forza Horizon 5, we're looking at 30-70% higher average framerates (and much better 1% lows.) 

The 3050ti and 3050 6GB have the same number of CUDA cores (which is why I didn't bring up the 3050 4GB.)

And yet... It still beats it.
Either way, the whole 3050 4GB vs 6GB argument is irrelevant.

Because like I alluded to before, video game developers build games within the confines of the hardware walls, not out of it.

The 4GB 2050 is also not a 3050 4GB or 6GB.
It's actually worst with a fraction of the bandwidth, which means it is even more useless at managing large datasets.

112GB/s vs 176GB/s/192GB/s is a big difference... Bandwidth is what is holding back the 2050 the most, not memory capacity.

sc94597 said:

Yes, it is 95W vs. 75W, BUT the GPU clocks are comparable and the 3050 is running at roughly 72W. 1965 MHz for the 3050ti and 1942 for the 3050 6GB. And the difference is +74%. That's not just because of a 20 watts difference, especially when that difference isn't affecting max clock rates.

TDP has a massive influence over mobile hardware... To the point where a lower-end part with a higher-TDP will outperform a higher-end part.

I.E. RTX 3070 outperforming the RTX 3080. - Despite the 3080 having twice the VRAM.

sc94597 said:

I don't think it will be the target for every game and especially not for the most demanding games. I think most games will have native 720-900p, upscaled to 1080p (or maybe a bit higher when 900p is the internal resolution.) But for many games 1080p is viable. BOTW isn't the most demanding game, but it is still impressive that the Switch 2 is able to run it at 4k (upscaled, likely from 1080p) 60fps, given that enhanced 360 games (ex: Mirrors Edge) on the Series S tend to target 1440p 60fps.  

But yeah, given that even the PS5 has some games that fail to reach 1080p natively in performance mode, it is unrealistic to expect the most demanding Switch 2 games to reach that mark. 

Keep in mind that Breath of the Wild also runs on a:

* Triple core CPU @ about 1.25Ghz
* 1GB Ram.
* Radeon 5550 class GPU.

It doesn't have hardware demands that are regarded as "intensive". 4k or not.

sc94597 said:

Sure, and we've seen what had to be done to Hogwarts Legacy to get it to run on Switch. It's not surprising that given the state of the Switch version, it can run in a 3GB pool. My point though is that I don't anticipate Nintendo's OS increasing significantly from 1GB to >2.5GB unless they add more features (media apps, achievements, better streaming overlays, browsers, etc.) I suppose if they go hardcore on a ram-hungry security system to prevent privacy it's possible, but that is the only scenario where I can see it. 

Nintendo OS Ram use has generally increased in memory footprint every console generation.

Not only that, but one of the Switch's biggest issues is the extremely slow and laggy eSHOP performance, more memory dedicated to that task would clean it up a ton.
..And if they implement features like you alluded to, such as voice chat natively on the console itself, that would also require more RAM.

sc94597 said:

2. There is a good chance that the Switch 2 will be on a 5/4nm TSMC node (especially if it releases late 2024/early2025 and will be updated with a refresh say 2028-2029), meaning that underclocking to the base clock of the RTX 2050 might be too aggressive of a simulation. Of course, if the Switch 2 is running at Switch TGP levels, maybe not.

Very much unlikely to be on a 5/4nm TSMC node as it's expensive.

sc94597 said:

Anyway, I have argued that the Switch 2 would likely be roughly in between the 2050 and 3050 (30-35W) in terms of performance for the last few months. Closer to the prior than the latter, but probably a bit better than the prior still. You and a few others thought that even the 2050 was a stretch. Digital Foundry makes a video suggesting that that is likely a good estimate for what we should expect. The whole point of that original post was to argue that the Switch 2 and Rog Ally  should be roughly comparable, even if we take Digital Foundry's estimate as the most likely outcome. 

Actually my argument is that the Switch 2 will be closer to the 2050, not 3050.
So that is false.

sc94597 said:

Another thing to consider is that the 2050 in the Digital Foundry test was not able to run the Matrix Awakens demo due to VRAM capacity limitations. We are all pretty confident (Digital Foundry as well) that the Switch 2 (or at least a dev kit version of it) ran the demo.

Radeon RX 570 is running Matrix Awakens demo.

It is a 4GB card.

This guy also gets the demo working on a 1650S 4GB at 1080P low.

So it's actually possible, not impossible.

Chrkeller said:

What is the thought on storage for the S2? I ask because most modern AAA titles are 60 to 100 gb. Cartridges are not cheap nor are they fast. Even the V90 SD I think are 100 to 200 mb/s read speeds. Not much compared to the M2 5000+ mb/s. M2 is expensive, and I don't see Nintendo going that route. I honestly don't know how they plan on handling storage.

They would likely stick with ROM again... Or rather a blended ROM/NAND makeup. Performance should increase either way... As not all loading is storage bound, but rather CPU bound, which is why when Nintendo unlocked the CPU clocks during game loading we saw significant increases on that front.

However compression will be key... And developers having part of the game as a download.

NAND has come down in price, but the issue of bit flipping as they age, ROM tends to be more immune to that.

But I think we are in the era where longevity isn't really a concern anymore.

Vodacixi said:

While I think this is only true with the 2017 model (2h 30min on BotW, decreasing with years of use, WTF?), it got much better with the Lite, 2020 and OLED models.

But since we are talking about a new, much more powerful (and hungry) console, I'm concearned about this as well. Ideally, I would want at least 3h minimum with the most taxing games. Maybe it's unrealistic, but I can dream xD

I have a clip-on battery pack that supplements the Switch's battery... I can get about 6 hours out of mine... Some can take the Switch to 8 hours and adds a heap of ergonomics.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Leynos said:

Base PS4 with Pro performance with DLSS.

I also suspect it will be able to replicate the Wii U dual-screen capability. Taking the system out of the dock and playing handheld, it can wireless transmit a signal to the TV for split screen games. One person plays on TV while the other plays handheld natively.

I would lose my sh*t over this. Absolutely loved that for WiiU.