Okami 9 11.25%

New Super Mario Bros 2 2.50%

TES IV: Oblivion 9 11.25%

Gears of War 6 7.50%

Twilight Princess 25 31.25%

Wii Sports 13 16.25%

Other (please specify) 9 11.25%

Total:80

Okami is the best Zelda of 2006. TP sucks so much. I  recently played the entire Gears of War series for the first time. Gears 1 hasn't aged well at all.

Last edited by Leynos - on 11 November 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Persona 3 for me!

This year marked the end of video games as an obsessive hobby.

My top 5: Persona 3, FF12, Tomb Raider Legend, Onimusha 4, Gears of War.

Only played Twilight Princess for a couple of hours (and really liked it) many years later. Also played Okami back in 2006 for like 10 minutes, a mistake I plan on correcting.

haxxiy said:
curl-6 said:

Voting for Skyward Sword isn't that out there, I mean this is really a discussion for the 2011 thread, but it's definitely a valid candidate. Uncharted 3 and Gears 3 are worthy too, but the three are pretty close quality wise, it's not like Zelda's not in the same league.

It's also the launch year of two little-known but critically acclaimed games called SKYRIM and DARK SOULS.

But yeah, a discussion for another time :P

Twilight Princess has some of the best dungeons and bosses in all of LoZ and the *best* companion. Gears, Oblivion, and FFXII can pound sand.

That said you're 100% correct that I won't be voting for Skyward Sword, a very middling game, as GOTY in 2011. But I won't be voting for Skyrim or Dark Souls either. Imo, that year belongs to Arkham City.

Jaicee said:

To me, the juxtaposition of the two biggest Wii launch titles served as perfect illustration of the remainder of this decade in gaming, and what I disliked about it: Wii Sports on the one hand and Twilight Princess on the other. They represent both the tonal and substantive polarity I'm speaking of, yet felt oddly united in their superficiality.

Wii Sports obviously represented the crux of Nintendo's new direction, focused on reaching out to new gamers, mostly out of commercial necessity. Each successive Nintendo home console had fared worse in sales terms than its predecessor up to this point, with the GameCube drawing only about one-third as many total purchases as the NES had. They'd always had a reputation for being the family-friendly one, but by this point it was clear they weren't reaching the whole family, and so with the Wii Nintendo would focus on doing so. The result? ...Eh. Wii Sports to me was mildly fun in a party setting (which were few and far-between for me) for the contemporaneous novelty of its reliance on motion controls, but not the kind of title I've revisited often over the years. Intended to introduce people too the Wiimote, as it was called, it spawned an entire industry of like titles that dominated the platform for years, successfully inspiring many people to try gaming for the first time while at the same time proving off-putting to many more seasoned gamers who craved deeper adventures (myself included). It also resulted in the popular pigeonholing that I still occasionally experience that says my interests must skew heavily casual and shallow because I am, after all, female, which I have not appreciated.

On the other end of the spectrum, in one of their comparatively small number of efforts to appease their pre-existing and experienced fan base of brand loyalists, the big N also released their new system with a Legend of Zelda title in its launch window. Ever since Ocarina of Time, franchise fans had complained of being forced to play as a younger Link, yearning for the return of his adult form. At first, I too thought that that was exactly what I wanted. To summarized the result of these demands though...you know how Final Fantasy has recently decided that it's Game of Thrones? Well with Twilight Princess, Nintendo made a comparable move in deciding that The Legend of Zelda was actually The Lord of the Rings, sending the franchise into full goth mode with all of the attendant moodiness and melodrama aligning with the prevailing demands of the era. Unsurprisingly, it was a commercial success. More surprisingly though, I found the whole experience somehow empty in feel; too tonally heavy-handed to match the nature of the franchise. The drama of it all often felt forced and insincere, and as a result kind of a drudgery, to me. And that's coming from someone who considers myself about half-goth.

I understand many people had a very different experience. I've heard innumerable people tell me they'd quit gaming a generation or two prior only to be drawn back in by the change of direction that the Wii represented. All I can say is that my experience with it was different.

Anyway, this is the sort of dynamic that would characterize gaming overall throughout the rest of the noughties to me; a polar range of casual and wholly light-hearted to the point of emptiness type of experiences on the one hand, a complete return to the older concept of games as simple entertainment and nothing more, and on the other hand, a rival tendency to rely on increasingly arbitrary (and often downright misogynistic) shock value as a marketing strategy for player base building. The Wii was clearly not the epicenter of the latter trend and Twilight Princess was hardly a pronounced example of it either, but I found the juxtaposition of these two Wii launch titles a convenient springboard to that feelings inventory. What I found I actually wanted was more earnestness. Speaking of which, let's (finally) get into some of my favorite 2006 titles:

Let's start with Okami. Built by a semi-autonomous production company called Clover Studio that Capcom had created out of Viewtiful Joe 2's development team, Okami feels very much like an indie Ocarina of Time where you play as a goddess instead of a mere mortal. It follows the same underlying design philosophy, yet diverges from it in ways that lend to the experience a more organic, holistic, and, in keeping with its themes, healing feel. Featuring a very distinctive art style that draws heavily on traditional Japanese paintings and sweepingly moving musical score that similarly draws on feudal Japanese influences, Okami's divine feel is cemented really by its central hook: the celestial brush, which you use to paint everything from bridges and platforms to use to a sun in the sky to change the time of day to bombs to employ to open blocked pathways to attacks you can use in battle to great effect. The ambience thereof is enhanced by the use of (modern) motion controls for me in newer versions of the game. But it's more than those particulars that set it apart. Unlike in the Legend of Zelda games where dungeon areas are clearly distinct from the overworld one traverses and tend to halt narrative progression until they're completed, Okami uses testing areas more organically, weaving them more seamlessly into its larger landscape and using them to advance the game's storyline, which ranks among its best qualities for my taste. Even just traversing the landscape, watching flowers bloom in your wake, feels legitimately magical and uplifting and it helps advance the title's themes that protagonist Amaterasu gains the experience she needs to level up and increase in battle prowess not by battling foes but by completing side quests; by helping other characters.

The underlying message of Okami crystallizes at the end of your adventure. I won't spoil the details of that for you, but the purpose of the game is to convey the importance of faith in our world and the power of art to preserve and convey it to new generations. I'm not a very religious person or much of a believer, but there was something about this game's heart that made me kind of want to join the ranks thereof, and for being that powerful a work of art, I have to credit Okami as my favorite game from this year.

The runner-up choice here for me is Chibi-Robo!, which was a quirky GameCube game created by a team of just 12 people wherein you play as a tiny robot tasked with helping clean up an average suburban house. The smallness of the player character and his dependence on electric charging has the effect of turning what would otherwise be a small-ish setting you'd get tired of exploring quickly with dull tasks to accomplish you'd quickly tire of doing into instead a large-feeling open-ended landscape worthy of traversing and just challenging enough to fully discover. The real specialness of the game though stems from the lives of the family you're tasked with helping out in the small ways you can. As you progress through your tasks, you'll find the story of a brewing divorce unfolding that's roots can be traced to denial and neglect. While the particulars are distinct and quirky, the crux of of this story reminded me a great deal of my own parents and what their relationship had often been like and of the certain feeling of helplessness toward the devolution of their relationship that I'd felt growing up. Some of this story is told through cinema scenes, but much of it is also told through brilliantly-devised environmental storytelling that rewards your exploration and active attention to detail. It's my second-favorite GameCube title after Metroid Prime. (EDIT: I just looked this up and noticed that Chibi-Robo! actually came out in 2005 in Japan. Oh well, I'm still leaving this commentary here since it came out in '06 here in the U.S.)

Some of the other 2006 titles I enjoyed a lot included Drill Dozer, Guitar Hero 2, Persona 3 (my first game in the series, marked by a welcome changing up of the standard JRPG formula that combined dungeon-crawling adventure with social simulation in a brilliantly organic way), The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (through which I had the good fortune of meeting a girlfriend, which was a first for me up to that point in my online gamine escapades), and one of the rarest games ever made: Rule of Rose. To single out the latter for a moment because I'm kind of proud to own such a rare game, the reason Rule of Rose has been so difficult to come by is because it was the subject of the absolute dumbest controversy in the history of entire this medium: it was banned outright in the UK and subject to a larger inquiry by the European parliament over content that didn't exist. (Supposedly it was a game that you win by murdering as many children as possible. Actually it was a psychological horror game about being manipulated and abused by children and kind of an interesting commentary (mostly) on how the female social hierarchy works and how girls bully each other. Narratively it's basically Lord of the Flies but with girls instead of boys.) Even though it had originally been their concept, Sony eventually opted against publishing the game in response to the fabricated controversy that was literally just made up by a writer for an Italian who never played the game.

The insane reaction to Rule of Rose was another symptom of this particular period. This was also the infamous Jack Thompson era, which began mostly in response to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and spiraled from there into an endless stream of idiotic litigation that persisted until the Supreme Court finally intervened. On the other end of this spectrum was another 2006 title called Rape Lay that's exactly what it sounds like, which quickly got banned outright even its native Japan. It all surmises much of the aura of the 2000s, especially as you got into the second half of the decade. Like the larger culture, there was a trend in games development toward favoring edgier, darker content that yielded an uptick in demand for censorship in the case of this comparatively new and undiscovered medium. It can be safely said that I'm happier now that both of those trends have receded a good deal. I found it all-around annoying.

A more positive development you were seeing by 2006 though was the emergence of the Xbox 360 as a major competitor. This was the last time that a player other than either Sony or Nintendo would ascend even to the second-place position in the console wars. It was really an accident owed to the poor launch of the PlayStation 3 ($600 price tag, mixed-reception controller lacking now-standard features like force feedback, practically no launch line-up) that got remedied a few years later once Sony trimmed the price with a slimmed-down model, but that accident of history provided Microsoft a brief moment in the sun in console gaming that hasn't been repeated and it was kinda neat to see.

Amazing post, great to read with my Saturday morning coffee :)

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the polarity happening in gaming in 2006 and on, as well as your descriptions of Twilight Princess and Okami. Thanks for putting it in words why I enjoyed Okami so much. It was a truly positive and uplifting experience to play through. TP was the opposite.

2006 set off the era where realism and mature games were seen as the best way forward, which meant a lot of dark brown grey games relying more on shock effects and forced drama instead of fun game play. And indeed on the other hand a lot of shovel ware based on gimmicks. (Wii motes, PS moves, Kinect) Not all shovel ware of course, but it did feel like you were either playing some depressing murder game or swing your arms around completing silly tasks. I played a lot of DDR (caught up on the whole series) those years to offset the moody 'real' games. Probably also why I mostly got into racing games that generation, racing is neither moody nor simple entertainment and has colors!

And you still can't get away from the drama. I love it in The Last of Us, that series is made around it and well written, it all fits and it deals with the consequences of the character's actions. It's the center of the story. Yet then I want to play something more lighthearted and God of War natters my ears of with relationship and trust issues, while Spider-Man 2 devolves into slinging insults and repressed anger, the main characters tearing each other apart emotionally. (then just brushing over it) That's not what I wanted out of Spider-Man. Anyway, I got Synthriders and Puzzling Places nowadays to unwind :) The 7th guest as well, puzzles with a mystery to solve.

Anyway agreed, Okami is the best game of 2006.

Around the Network

Twilight princess. The temples, the atmosphere, the music. The only think i hated about this game is how empty the areas are. I wish so bad they would incorporate the essence of TP to the Botw/Totk formula.

I was obsessed with Okami in 2011-2012, it was my first PS2 game on PCSX2, it ran well but after that turned out that almost no other PS2 game worked properly and I bought the console and played Okami again, and then again the remaster on PS3.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Kyuu said:

This year marked the end of video games as an obsessive hobby.

My top 5: Persona 3, FF12, Tomb Raider Legend, Onimusha 4, Gears of War.

Only played Twilight Princess for a couple of hours (and really liked it) many years later. Also played Okami back in 2006 for like 10 minutes, a mistake I plan on correcting.

Okami is loads of fun, you'll definitely want to check it out properly in the future, yeah.

Wii Sports and Gears of War both deserve an honourable mention in my opinion.

Gears was visually mindblowing at the time and was really nailed third person cover shooting mechanics to the point where its DNA is still strong in most modern TPS games. From its crunchy combat, to its gritty visuals, to its moody atmosphere, it set the tone for much of the generation that would follow. An iconic game that changed the medium forever.

Wii Sports was also really special. The way it brought together gamers from all walks of life was magical; my memories of playing it with my Mum and Stepdad, who'd never been able to get into gaming before, are some of the warmest of that time of my life, finally getting to share in my favourite hobby with my family.
It was also one of those moments that felt like a leap into the future; playing with motion controls for the first time felt like something straight out of Star Trek, and the sheer kinetic joy was incredible.

There wasn't much of a contest to choose the winner for this year.  The 2006 Game of the Year is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and the runner up is Wii Sports.