By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 46.6 Million Units as of September 2023

kazuyamishima said:
Kyuu said:

Combined 1st party sales/legs on consoles are getting weaker and weaker. Good results apart from that.

I mean, the last first party game released from SIE was GOW:R in November 2022. 

jvmkdg said:
Kyuu said:

Combined 1st party sales/legs on consoles are getting weaker and weaker. Good results apart from that.

there were no first party game launches this quarter the last launch was god of war ragnarok and yet there were more than 4 million first party games in the next quarter this number will be close to 15 million

Yeah, poor first party production is part of it, but even last year with 4 major releases (2 of which actually released at the end FY2021, but had the bulk of their sales in FY 2022) still declined over the prior year This FY could be their weakest since like 2017, and the next year will probably be notably weaker without a Spider-Man 2 equivalent.

Ragnarok and Horizon's legs are disappointing. Only GT7 is hinting strong legs relative to expectations and based on charts. I think the evidence is clear that high prices and PC ports are hurting legs.

Around the Network
Machina said:

Will has made some more adjustments. We got Switch spot on this quarter but unfortunately undertracked PS5 by a few hundred K; the vast majority of it must be in un-tracked markets (Asia and RoW), so that's where the adjustments have been made.

Spider-Man 2 figures have been added to the GameDB, and both Spider-Man series have been updated too.

At Bold.

I said the same thing in the switch quarterly thread, and I will repeat it here concerning the Ps5. People were mass buying the consoles in Japan due to the extremely weak yen. Their buddies see that they got a new console and there is a little bit of a trickle effect with a lot of people buying through official channels too in these untracked markets. (mostly Japan adjacent countries)

Sony didn't revise their forecast for the fiscal.
They are dead set on hitting that 25 million.

I dont believe they will hit the target. Sales of consoles and games will start to slow down due to the crazy increase of PS Plus prices.

Last edited by Frank_kc - on 09 November 2023

Sony keeping their forecast of 25M for the Quarter seems like a strong indicator that they are confident on their plan for this quarter. And perhaps their hint of titles that were delayed from 2023 may indicate a release in the financial Q4 and even bring unexpected sales of HW.
And with only 1M difference to clear now and SM2 launch I think it may pass PS4 in October instead of November, and is still very much aligned with Sony forecast of an earlier quarterly result.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Is this the first time Sony doesn't announce the PSN subs in their quarterly report?

Choosing to disclose MAU and not actuall sub numbers probably means it was bad.

BraLoD said:

Is this the first time Sony doesn't announce the PSN subs in their quarterly report?

They didn't announce them for the April-June quarter either. They stopped announcing them this fiscal year. Network Services revenue is up by over 14% compared to last year. Network services is just PS+ and Advertising.

So in terms of revenue they are doing better than last year but in terms of actual sub numbers they may be lower. Difficult to say as the price increase didn't occur until September 3rd and only 12-month subs increased in price. So we can't say "revenue is higher so subs must be higher!" and we also can't say "well sub prices increased by x% and revenue only increased by 14% so subs must be lower!" because we don't know how many people are on the 12-month sub compared to 1/3 or how many were up for renewal in the month of September.

Basically we know it's bringing in more money than last year but we can't say with complete confidence that they have more or less users than last year.

Zippy6 said:
BraLoD said:

They didn't announce them for the April-June quarter either. They stopped announcing them this fiscal year. Network Services revenue is up by over 14% compared to last year. Network services is just PS+ and Advertising.

So in terms of revenue they are doing better than last year but in terms of actual sub numbers they may be lower. Difficult to say as the price increase didn't occur until September 3rd and only 12-month subs increased in price. So we can't say "revenue is higher so subs must be higher!" and we also can't say "well sub prices increased by x% and revenue only increased by 14% so subs must be lower!" because we don't know how many people are on the 12-month sub compared to 1/3 or how many were up for renewal in the month of September.

Basically we know it's bringing in more money than last year but we can't say with complete confidence that they have more or less users than last year.

The price increase will surely hit them in the short term.

They just keeping rising it, around here is now almost the double it was 2 years ago (was BRL 150 until mid 2021 and is BRL 280 now), and even as I still have some time stacked, I'm considering stopping renewing it for the first time since I've got it.

BraLoD said:
Zippy6 said:

The price increase will surely hit them in the short term.

They just keeping rising it, around here is now almost the double it was 2 years ago (was BRL 150 until mid 2021 and is BRL 280 now), and even as I still have some time stacked, I'm considering stopping renewing it for the first time since I've got it.

Yeah I think it's worse in other regions than here in the UK. Compared to gamepass for example it's not that bad here and definitely hasn't nearly doubled.

£50/year for Gamepass Core, £60/year for PS+ Essential.

£132/year for Gamepass Ultimate, £100/year for PS+ Extra and £120/year for PS+ Premium.

I'm sure the numbers of subscribers will decrease though potentially not by enough to stop their sub revenue continuing to increase.

Frank_kc said:

I dont believe they will hit the target. Sales of consoles and games will start to slow down due to the crazy increase of PS Plus prices.

You do realize that GP is still more expensive than PS Plus.  Are you saying that Xbox poor sales are due to their subscription prices?