By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 46.6 Million Units as of September 2023

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 Ships 46.6 Million Units as of September 2023

Sony Interactive Entertainment in its financial results announced it has shipped 46.6 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of September 30, 2023.

With 46.6 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of September that means 4.9 million units were shipped from July to September. This is up 1.6 million from the same quarter in 2022. 

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 3.9 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 47.6 million units shipped as of September 30, 2016. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 1.0 million units.

There were a total of 67.6 million games sold on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 for the quarter. This is up 5.1 million from 62.5 million during the same period a year earlier. Digital sales accounted for 67 percent of software sales.

There were 4.7 million first-party games sold across the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4. This is down 1.9 million from 6.6 million a year ago.

There were 107 million monthly active users on the PlayStation Network, an increase of five million from 102 million a year ago. Sony did not disclose the number of PlayStation Plus subscribers. It was at 47.4 million at the end of March.

Sony's Game & Network Services Segment for the quarter ending September 30, 2023, reported revenue increased 233.4 billion yen ($1.54 billion) year-over-year to 954.1 billion yen ($6.32 billion), while operating income increased 6.8 billion yen ($0.05 billion) to 48.9 billion yen ($0.32 billion).

Sony's forecast for the Game & Network Services Segment for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024 are expected to be higher than the August forecast due to improved foreign exchange rates and an increase in sales from third-party titles and DLC.

"Sales are expected to be higher than the August forecast primarily due to the impact of foreign exchange rates and an expected increase in sales of non-first-party titles including add-on content," reads the report from Sony.

"Operating income is expected to remain unchanged from the August forecast mainly due to the impact of the above-mentioned increase in sales of non-first-party titles, substantially offset primarily by the impact of changes in the launch dates of a portion of first-party titles. Adjusted OIBDA is expected to be higher than the August forecast mainly due to the same factors affecting operating income."

Last edited by trunkswd - on 09 November 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

"With 46.6 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of September that means 4.9 million units were shipped from April to June."

Should this be July to September or am I misunderstanding something here.

CosmicSex said:

"With 46.6 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of September that means 4.9 million units were shipped from April to June."

Should this be July to September or am I misunderstanding something here.

You are right. Typo fixed. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

willian it was also announced that Spiderman 2 sold more than 5 million units in 10 days

trunkswd said:

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 3.9 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 47.6 million units shipped as of September 30, 2016. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 1.0 million units.

First of all congrats to all the folks who predicted that the PS5 would pass the PS4 this November (although we don't even know October numbers yet but lets just play it safe and say 'BY' November).  Secondly, how close (or far) are we from Sony's crazy 25 million prediction at this point?

Edit:  Its 3.3 Q1 + 4.9 Q2 or 8.2 so far this FY.  Meaning they have ship 16.8 million more by March 31, 2024 in order to hit their target.  It all hinges on this month and next month.  I can't possibly imagine a world where they ship another 6.1 million Q4 like last FY but if they do they would still have to ship 10.7 million units this current quarter.  Good luck.  

Second Edit.  The PS5 is up by 148% YoY for this quarter.  If this entire FY is up by that amount over last FY the PS5 will completely destroy its goal and hit 28 million.  Either way we could really be looking at the best year for PS5 console sales ever.  

Last edited by CosmicSex - on 09 November 2023

Around the Network
jvmkdg said:

willian it was also announced that Spiderman 2 sold more than 5 million units in 10 days

So it actually beat Mario.  Honestly my thoughts on this are as I said before.  I know Spiderman is like ball to the wall popular but the reason I picked Mario to outsell it is because the Switch's install base is much larger.   I suppose the reason the numbers are so high is because there is probably a bunch of people who specifically bought a PS5 for Spiderman 2 whereas you wouldn't expect Mario to be a driver of console sales at this point in its life. 

So about 500k undertracked here?

kazuyamishima said:

I might be hallucinating but it looks like William already adjusted the PS5 up a smidge.  I wouldn't worry about that too much.  In a few months expect Sony to get a sold through figure as they customarily do. 

Edit okay I'm not hallucinating. It definitely went up lol 

CosmicSex said:
kazuyamishima said:

I might be hallucinating but it looks like William already adjusted the PS5 up a smidge.  I wouldn't worry about that too much.  In a few months expect Sony to get a sold through figure as they customarily do. 

You are right I adjusted the PS5 up. I might adjust it more tomorrow depending on what Machina thinks, but it's 2am here and I need sleep. 

I would love if they gave sell through figures every quarter. We do have quarterly sell through through March. Which I've made sure our estimates match, as well as when it hit the different 10M figures. I'd expect Sony will likely announce it when it tops 50M sell through. 

Also of note is that G&NS has stated almost 1 Trillion Yen in its inventory. That's a lot of new PS5 models if we assume they had already started the sellout of their old PS5 model stock in Q2.

Last edited by drkohler - on 09 November 2023