Prince of Persia: Sands of Time 6 13.95%

Mario Kart: Double Dash 6 13.95%

Knights of the Old Republic 10 23.26%

Zone of Enders: The Second Runner 2 4.65%

F-Zero GX 5 11.63%

Tales of Symphonia 5 11.63%

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow 4 9.30%

Total:43

This year is a massive step down from the last two for me. F-Zero GX was incredible though, so voted "other" this time, but if I count Splinter Cell's Gamecube release this year, it might be a tie. There are some good GBA titles there too and I also liked Viewtiful Joe; shame they didn't do more with this IP.

Around the Network

Torn between Prince of Persia, Beyond Good and Evil and Viewtiful Joe, but I think I’ll go with PoP

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

HoloDust said:

Oh...I completely forgot another 800 pound gorilla in the room that launched that year - EVE Online. I don't think any other MMO has ever had so many articles written about machinations, backstabbings and epic battles that go on it that virtual universe.

Oh yes, the game that offers more entertainement for outsiders than it seems to be fun to play itself. Recaps of huge space battles, in timelapse since it would run extremely slow, where many thousands of dollars of ships get wiped out.

https://www.ccpgames.com/news/2021/the-most-expensive-video-game-battle-ever-earns-two-guinness-world-records

February 4th, 2021 – Reykjavík, Iceland – CCP Games announced today that their players have broken a further two GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS titles in EVE Online, the community-driven massively multiplayer online (MMO) game, with a gigantic battle resulting from the game’s ongoing inter-player war. More than 5000 players duked it out for territorial control in what has been called the “Massacre at M2-XFE”, a New Year’s Eve clash between two of EVE Online’s largest player-run coalitions.

The two GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS titles now held by EVE Online are:

The events of the battle and its significance for EVE Online players are detailed in this blog from CCP Games: The Massacre at M2-XFE - The most destructive battle in video game history (so far)

By the Numbers:

On 30 - 31 December 2020, over 5,000 players across two of EVE’s largest player-run coalitions, The Imperium and PAPI, participated in the Massacre at M2-XFE, a 14-hour fleet fight involving over 1000 Titans, 400 Super Carriers, and 400 Dreadnoughts. Amidst the chaos of battle, a record-breaking number of Titans (257) were destroyed, the largest ship-type available in EVE Online, as well as 6 Super Carriers, 50 Carriers, and 50 Dreadnoughts, with a full total loss of 3,404 ships destroyed. These losses totaled 29,111,604,784,863 ISK, equating to $378,012 USD, and beating the previous GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title of $302,387 USD for losses resulting from 2014’s Bloodbath of B-R5RB.

2023, 20th anniversary for Eve Online already!

F-Zero GX

SvennoJ said:
HoloDust said:

Oh...I completely forgot another 800 pound gorilla in the room that launched that year - EVE Online. I don't think any other MMO has ever had so many articles written about machinations, backstabbings and epic battles that go on it that virtual universe.

Oh yes, the game that offers more entertainement for outsiders than it seems to be fun to play itself. Recaps of huge space battles, in timelapse since it would run extremely slow, where many thousands of dollars of ships get wiped out.

https://www.ccpgames.com/news/2021/the-most-expensive-video-game-battle-ever-earns-two-guinness-world-records

February 4th, 2021 – Reykjavík, Iceland – CCP Games announced today that their players have broken a further two GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS titles in EVE Online, the community-driven massively multiplayer online (MMO) game, with a gigantic battle resulting from the game’s ongoing inter-player war. More than 5000 players duked it out for territorial control in what has been called the “Massacre at M2-XFE”, a New Year’s Eve clash between two of EVE Online’s largest player-run coalitions.

The two GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS titles now held by EVE Online are:

The events of the battle and its significance for EVE Online players are detailed in this blog from CCP Games: The Massacre at M2-XFE - The most destructive battle in video game history (so far)

By the Numbers:

On 30 - 31 December 2020, over 5,000 players across two of EVE’s largest player-run coalitions, The Imperium and PAPI, participated in the Massacre at M2-XFE, a 14-hour fleet fight involving over 1000 Titans, 400 Super Carriers, and 400 Dreadnoughts. Amidst the chaos of battle, a record-breaking number of Titans (257) were destroyed, the largest ship-type available in EVE Online, as well as 6 Super Carriers, 50 Carriers, and 50 Dreadnoughts, with a full total loss of 3,404 ships destroyed. These losses totaled 29,111,604,784,863 ISK, equating to $378,012 USD, and beating the previous GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title of $302,387 USD for losses resulting from 2014’s Bloodbath of B-R5RB.

2023, 20th anniversary for Eve Online already!

Yeah, that and The Mittani's behind the scenes Game of Thrones level shenanigans are always fun to read.

Around the Network

Poor year for me. I'd say even from the list and games mentioned, the fact that DMC2 is mentioned which is generally considered the worst DMC game.

For me, if it was't for PAL getting games late, I would say I wouldn't have play much this year. Infact as it was well into my Uni years, there wasn't as much anyway. I got SC2 this year (which arcade release in 2002) and still playing left overs from 2002 or FF games again.

If I had to vote for anything here, it would be Eye Toy. Many might not think it significant but it's influence was actually held for years and it's idea used in the next gen like it was a rash.

Hmm, pie.

Mario Kart: Double Dash is such a childhood classic, but KOTOR Is amazing. I replayed it in 2022 for the first time in nearly 7 years and it still holds up.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

F-Zero GX.

Insane speeds, white knuckle action, great course design, thirty cars on track at once, all at a blazing 60fps with some of the best graphics ever to grace the Gamecube.

The Fury said:

Poor year for me. I'd say even from the list and games mentioned, the fact that DMC2 is mentioned which is generally considered the worst DMC game.

For me, if it was't for PAL getting games late, I would say I wouldn't have play much this year. Infact as it was well into my Uni years, there wasn't as much anyway. I got SC2 this year (which arcade release in 2002) and still playing left overs from 2002 or FF games again.

If I had to vote for anything here, it would be Eye Toy. Many might not think it significant but it's influence was actually held for years and it's idea used in the next gen like it was a rash.

While in next-next gen it led to VR.

Eye-Toy was already used for VR research and ps3 Eye had head tracking implementations (GT5)
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/24181562_The_Sony_PlayStation_II_EyeToy_Low-Cost_Virtual_Reality_for_Use_in_Rehabilitation

It's very significant, sadly still niche. It did lead to the most advanced gaming VR headset currently, paving the way forward with eye tracking foveated rendering.

PS3 Eye (PS4 camera) was used more for live broadcasting. I found some old screen grabs from the ps3 ps4.
Channel surfing on the ps4 in 2013

If you like the movie Clerks, there was a lot of that as well.

Not what eye toy was originally made for, but got quite popular for a while.

Correction, this was on PS4, alternative to Twitch streaming. One way to get through an early generation game drought.

Yeah ps3 eye was quite unpopular until Move launched. (which wasn't very popular either)

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 01 November 2023

I really need to replay KOTOR. I just don’t remember it well enough to rank it.

I’ll go with Beyond Good & Evil. Great story, characters, and presentation; awesome, underrated music; and diverse & engaging gameplay scenarios, many of them in the Zelda tradition.