By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 14th Annual Greatest Games Event - Sign-Ups Thread

I'll join this year, I've been updating my list.
Mario Wonder and Spiderman 2 are really good yet too recent to make an accurate judgement. TotK has already entered my list after taking 300 hours of my life this year.

Around the Network
dan_banan said:

I've got a question about a specific game, does the Link's Awakening remake for Switch count as a separate entry? Never played the original so I'd only include the remake in my list.

The original, or better, the GBC 'DX' version, is pretty much exactly the same as the Switch remake, besides the obvious. The only real difference is that the dungeon maker shop was a camera shop in the GBC version and there was a bit of a side-quest with that shop's photographer showing up at some points to take a picture. The remake adds the Mario figurine decorations as well, modernised the mini games and added more seashells and heart pieces. With the excellent remake there isn't much reason to play the original anymore, except for if you'd want the raw experience.

Also, yay to including Link's Awakening!

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 27 October 2023

S.Peelman said:
dan_banan said:

I've got a question about a specific game, does the Link's Awakening remake for Switch count as a separate entry? Never played the original so I'd only include the remake in my list.

The original, or better, the GBC 'DX' version, is pretty much exactly the same as the Switch remake, besides the obvious. The only real difference is that the dungeon maker shop was a camera shop in the GBC version and there was a bit of a side-quest with that shop's photographer showing up at some points to take a picture. The remake adds the Mario figurine decorations as well, modernised the mini games and added more seashells and heart pieces. With the excellent remake there isn't much reason to play the original anymore, except for if you'd want the raw experience.

The original experience is excruciating with all the item swapping. I'd never go back to it.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

@mZuzek : How do you want to handle Overwatch? Is Overwatch 2 counted as a separate game? 

Oof, that's actually a really hard one, since they essentially replaced the original with it, it's almost like a patch, right?

I don't know to be honest, but I'm going with counting them separate because, well, it does say "2" in the title

mZuzek said:
TruckOSaurus said:

@mZuzek : How do you want to handle Overwatch? Is Overwatch 2 counted as a separate game? 

Oof, that's actually a really hard one, since they essentially replaced the original with it, it's almost like a patch, right?

I don't know to be honest, but I'm going with counting them separate because, well, it does say "2" in the title

That makes more sense imo.  Because OW2 essentially "swallowing" OW1 doesn't discount its different design foundation at the time.  Someone who dedicated hundreds of hours to 2016-2018 Overwatch can't give credit to something they haven't technically played yet.

Around the Network

Since we're speaking about specific games, I do have one question: Shining Force CD

Is that too much a remake/collection or would it count?

TruckOSaurus said:
S.Peelman said:

The original experience is excruciating with all the item swapping. I'd never go back to it.

Yeah, it's still great if you can put your mind a sort of '20-30 years ago mood', but the 2-button control scheme is pretty dated by now.

I tried out for fun doing a battle based ranking (like I believe @Mnementh and somebody else suggested in another thread) using my top 50 from last year and 10 potential new games. Pretty interesting stuff, I went for choosing as quickly/instinctively as possible and ended up with a relatively different list. Probably won't stick to it 100 %, but it was an interesting way to shake things up. (Also fun fact I ended up with Elden Ring at #51)

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Kaunisto said:

Since we're speaking about specific games, I do have one question: Shining Force CD

Is that too much a remake/collection or would it count?

Honestly I know nothing about these, but wikipedia makes it sound like a proper collection, so I'm leaning towards that

Happy to participate, but as usual will list all at once since I'm screw up it up by missing dates etc.