By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Mario Wonder 50m+ LT

IcaroRibeiro said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

I’m just curious what people expected a Mario game to sell in October? Again, do some not know the history of how these games sell? It also was undoubtedly overshadowed by Spidey hype the same week, which is the definition of a huge opening frontloaded game. Even if it doesn’t hit 50, I would still bet on it being the best selling super Mario when it’s done.

In what world is Spider Man frontloaded. It's one of the leggiest games last gen. 3.3 million, over 33 million sold to this date 

Spiderman didn't sell 33 million. That's the series total at the time. It's the combined sales of Spiderman, Spiderman Remastered, and Miles Morales. Still great sales, but I keep seeing people bring up "Spiderman sold 33 million" when that is false.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/06/02/marvels-spider-man-series-is-coming-to-pc/

"Let me tell you, there are a lot of folks to thank for your passionate support! With that in mind, I’m both ecstatic and humbled to share that the Marvel’s Spider-Man series now has sold through more than 33 million copies globally, as of May 15, 2022."

Around the Network

I think Spider-Man did like 23-24 million.

A front loaded game is a game like FFVII Remake that’s lifetime sales are currently 2x it’s opening week. Spider-man did around 8x it’s opening week. 8x opening week is a lot, that’s more than Animal Crossing: New Horizons for example which is only around 4x it’s opening. The late lifecycle switch game like TotK and Pokémon will only do like 3x their opening.

The PS5 port of Spider-man that got made available for separate sale also made the top 20 PSN PS5 games for May, June, July, August and September this year, it’s 6th year on sale.

Miles Morales also had strong legs. In 2020 it was the 12th best selling game in NA and in 2021 it was the 6th best selling game. In 2022 it was still in the top 20 for the year up to November(19th position). It also in the top 20 selling games on PSN for NA most months this year, including making the top 10 and that’s despite being on PS Plus.

Spider-Man wasn't a frontloaded game. The Ultimate Edition was probably only counted towards Miles Morales totals (Like Capcom counting Monster Hunter World Master Edition towards Iceborne totals in their quarterly updates), otherwise the numbers just don't add up. As of today, I imagine the breakdown is something like this:

Spider-Man (PS4) = 23 million
Spider-Man Remastered (MM Ultimate Edition + Remastered PS5+PC) = 12 million and counting.
Miles Morales (PS+PC)= 15 million and counting

zorg1000 said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

Because it had the biggest launch for a Super Mario title ever? Lol. Funny how people still don’t understand how sales work in some of these franchises. 

Yup, this is basically what we are seeing right now

Vgchartz member-Mario Wonder won’t sell as much as Nintendo fans think

Nintendo-Mario Wonder is the fastest selling Mario title ever

Vgchartz member-See, I told you!

Now obviously 50 million is a big task but it’s hilarious that people are using “record-breaking sales” as an argument why it won’t happen.

Haters are going to hate remember Cliff?

Around the Network
Sogreblute said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

In what world is Spider Man frontloaded. It's one of the leggiest games last gen. 3.3 million, over 33 million sold to this date 

Spiderman didn't sell 33 million. That's the series total at the time. It's the combined sales of Spiderman, Spiderman Remastered, and Miles Morales. Still great sales, but I keep seeing people bring up "Spiderman sold 33 million" when that is false.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/06/02/marvels-spider-man-series-is-coming-to-pc/

"Let me tell you, there are a lot of folks to thank for your passionate support! With that in mind, I’m both ecstatic and humbled to share that the Marvel’s Spider-Man series now has sold through more than 33 million copies globally, as of May 15, 2022."

I stand corrected. Nice catch, PR reports and news cam be realy misleading 

50 millions?

It looks unlikely to reach 20 millions now.

Lucas-Rio said:

50 millions?

I never thought it would hit 50 or even much over 30 but why wouldn't it hit 20?

pikashoe said:
Lucas-Rio said:

50 millions?

I never thought it would hit 50 or even much over 30 but why wouldn't it hit 20?

Launch is 4.3 millions.

I expect it to top 10 millions with November and December.

After that it will be a struggle and it will sell much less and may be killed off by the launch of the newt console.

Games have much less legs at the end of life of the console.

This is all speculation.

I suspect that parents who have played a mario game, and those that watched the movie this year, will be buying the game for the holiday season. If the Mario Movie made approx. $1.36 billion and a ticket is approx. $10 (this is a guestimate based on the economy in America and decline of other currencies), then 136 million people saw the movie. If they enjoyed the movie and honestly most people I've talked to did, then we can assume that maybe 35% are interested in the game giving us a minimum total of 47.6 million. Mario Wonder has sold approx 5 million as of now (maybe near 6), and these are the hard core fans that buy games because its new and exciting.
I am not counting these 6 million with the potential 47.6 million who might be interested in the game for these 6 million hard core fans were going to buy the game regardless.
So based on my random logic Super Mario Bros. Wonder could very much so sell 50 million units. Yes it is on the end of the Switch's lifecycle but that just means the audience is much bigger. 2-D Mario games are always evergreen titles, and it will continue to sell even into the next consoles lifecycle (maybe even 2 years into it).

Sorry for lack of quotes and other facts but I just want to let people know that I agree with OP.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.