Super Smash Bros 11 21.15%

Age of Empires II 14 26.92%

Homeworld 1 1.92%

Gran Turismo 2 1 1.92%

Resident Evil 3 4 7.69%

Total:52
SvennoJ said:
Jumpin said:

The thing about Final Fantasy is there are two different series with two fairly different appeals.

Group A: FF1-3, MQ, 5, and 9 have flawless “Mary Sue” type characters. Group B began with FF4, exploring more rounded characters and more intricate storytelling—FF6-8 and Tactics expanded on that. FFX and onward followed the trends of group B, but because of the voice acting have a different sort of feeling to the previous games. I also think the “Group C” games (such as FF13) have stifled ambition because of the production costs—but that’s another discussion. While the characters in group A have literary traumas, they never seem to manifest as a character flaw the way they do in the Group B games.

For example, Vivi is a clear version of the replicants from Blade Runner. He had the same wound as the replicants, being manufactured with a limited lifespan. The difference is it didn’t manifest as character flaws as it did with the replicants of Blade Runner. Vivi just kind of carried on, and it was like “that’s unfair” and that was that. In Blade Runner, the replicants suffered existential crises, which led to anguish, misery, desperation, and rage. It led to the rebellion against the creators in the Tyrrell corporation.

The audiences are different too; although there’s probably a bit of a spectrum. Some audiences expect flawless characters and prefer clear-cut "good guys vs. bad guys" narratives—black and white. They don’t enjoy well-rounded characters unless other elements outshine the character flaws. Others prefer more complex characters who have flaws and strengths which drive story and conflict. Outside of Final Fantasy, I’d say a rough example of this would be the two versions of The Office. Mary Sue/Group A fans will like Jim Halpert, but at the other end there are those who will be more interested in Tim Canterbury’s story. I’d guess people are probably somewhere in the middle.

To clarify, I’m not saying that ensembles of Mary Sue characters (like in the group A FF games) are bad—just a different way of creating characters for a game. One of my favourite games, Skies of Arcadia, has a cast of Mary Sue characters. They fit the game because the focus of the game isn’t the character stories, but the exploration of the world. It’s a joy seeing their reactions and amazement to discovering it. 

Just an observation: the people who “hate” FF8 by far the most are also the most negative people in these threads. Same behaviour as in other threads where they’ll bring up something they claim to hate, yet can’t stop discussing. A bit of a rot on these threads dating back to at least 1991. They seem to struggle with seeing things beyond black and white and also express their opinions as though they’re objective facts. Maybe they’re emotionally stunted? Maybe they’re just angry, negative people? But they also happen to all be gushing fans of FF9.

Interesting points, yet I can't agree with the last paragraph. I am fairly negative / pessimist irl, usually deflecting with sarcasm, yet am fully in the grey / rounded / flawed characters camp. I loved both 8 and 9, as well as 12 (my favorite) and 13. 7 was good but I never felt anything from Tifa's (near) death, nor Zelda's sacrifice now in TotK, emotionally stunted as well? The best recent game to me is TloU2 when it comes to story. They all do bad things, get confronted with them and then have to move forward, that's the kind of writing that appeals to me.

Tbh I can't even remember the protagonists from FF8 and FF9, can't name them. I just know I enjoyed playing the games. Emotionally disinterested would be a better description for me. RPGs are often so drawn out I don't get invested in the characters. Whenever I get invested in games it's usually a love/hate relationship, even Everquest. There are rarely games that are all positive and certainly no big games ever apply to that.

Anyway grey vs b&w is a good point. Applies to many things irl as well. Maybe it's a conservative vs liberal thing, it does seem conservatives tend to look at the world in a more b&w manner. Or maybe it's a religious thing to push more towards black and white views. There are plenty liberals with black and white views of conservatives so I'm probably just talking out my ass :p

And I think the discussion between FF8 and FF9 was more along the lines of the battle system and easy difficulty, not the character arcs!

I wouldn't consider you to be one of the most negative people on these threads. Your posts talk about the game you like, and go into discussion about them. Negative probably isn't the right word, I should say the shitty posters--the sort who come in just to take a low quality shit on a game. You know the type that respond to a question: "What's your favourite game of 1991?"

With the answer: "Sonic sucks!"

And that's about the level of their contribution to these threads. Generally the same people each time.

And I agree entirely on the politics thing, that's something I've thought about it too; although, I'm not sure a proper label - Conservative and Religious seem too broad/nebulous. Maybe fanatical idealists? The sort of people that get tribal develop a bias, and then allow that bias to eclipse the topic. And yes, I come across them on both the left and the right - as a leftist, I find it disappointing: an example there was the Bernie Sanders cult (not necessarily his fault), but a good number of his followers had elevated him to messiah-like status (crediting him as the inventor of positions that had been discussed/implemented for many decades to over a century in various places, including in the US)) - they'd attack other leftist leaders like they were heretics. But, I wonder how many of those people grew up in dogmatically religious households? Or if it is a psychological profile - nature vs nature?
Probably not the thread for this.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:

Of these games, FFVIII. My personal favorite of the year was Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1).

Surprised Soulcalibur on Dreamcast wasn't an option.

I totally forgot about both games. But they're both 1998. While most people know the Dreamcast Soulcalibur, it was an arcade game first. But it was one of my favourite fighting games of all time, I remember reading through all the text dumps... it was like half novella half fighting game. I don't think I got into any fighting games to that degree ever again, so I have fond memories of that one. I also think my longest gaming session with a fighting game was sitting around a dorm room, ~2001 or so, drinking beer, and handing the controllers around for one long multiplayer session. I'm both happy and a bit depressed to be thinking about that (happy because of the experience, depressed because of the time waste :P).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

I wouldn't consider you to be one of the most negative people on these threads. Your posts talk about the game you like, and go into discussion about them. Negative probably isn't the right word, I should say the shitty posters--the sort who come in just to take a low quality shit on a game. You know the type that respond to a question: "What's your favourite game of 1991?"

With the answer: "Sonic sucks!"

And that's about the level of their contribution to these threads. Generally the same people each time.

And I agree entirely on the politics thing, that's something I've thought about it too; although, I'm not sure a proper label - Conservative and Religious seem too broad/nebulous. Maybe fanatical idealists? The sort of people that get tribal develop a bias, and then allow that bias to eclipse the topic. And yes, I come across them on both the left and the right - as a leftist, I find it disappointing: an example there was the Bernie Sanders cult (not necessarily his fault), but a good number of his followers had elevated him to messiah-like status (crediting him as the inventor of positions that had been discussed/implemented for many decades to over a century in various places, including in the US)) - they'd attack other leftist leaders like they were heretics. But, I wonder how many of those people grew up in dogmatically religious households? Or if it is a psychological profile - nature vs nature?
Probably not the thread for this.

Maybe it's a function of the human mind, reducing complex situations to binary choices. Thinking costs a lot of effort and most of the things people do, and is recommended to achieve inner peace, is to quieten that inner voice. Either through meditation, exercise, alcohol, music, games or whatever else to get your mind to stop mulling on about things. Seeing or preferring to see things in a black & white manner is another way to reduce that 'fatigue'. Nothing is more exhausting than getting your belief system challenged. Hence tribalism and echo chambers are so comforting. Of course also for the sense of belonging, humans are social creatures first after all.

The big challenge for the human race is how to get to this sense of belonging without the superiority complex and negative effects that often come with it. It's a genetic trait, cast out that doesn't belong is herd behavior, keep the (our) tribe strong. You don't simply erase millions of years of evolution.

Which is also my theory why we haven't seen any other species yet in this infinite universe. Evolution is geared to not only favor the most adaptable, yet also the most aggressive and ruthless to come out on top. When one species, homo sapiens in our case, comes out on top they'll turn on each other as we've been doing for all of recorded history. And with technology only becoming more and more capable of wiping all of us out, it's just a matter of time what will get us first :/ See that's the pessimist in me talking lol.

Back to games, best form of escapism to me next to exercise. Hence games like Synthriders and earlier DDR do the best job at quieting that inner voice, always over analyzing everything. And games like BG3, while interesting, I have to be in the mood for, since it has so many options and choices! Hence 'grinding', while often derided, is actually the most popular way to waste time in games. Get that dopamine boost while watching numbers go up, without having to think about what you're doing. And that's why I think Pokemon is so big and yearly sequels remain ever popular.

Jumpin said:
Spike0503 said:

What a year! Packed full with classics. But for me? I gotta go with Final Fantasy VIII. I get why people often look down on it and why it's not as highly regarded as VII but for me, it's one of the greatest games I've ever played. The characters, the scale of the story, the world that you get to explore from top to bottom. Everything, I fell in love with everything.

I got to play Metal Gear Solid after this one so VIII was the first time I truly loved a videogame. As a kid, it was (and remains) a magical experience that can't be replicated. Oh and did I mention the music? Best damn OST in any game I've ever played. It covers so many types of mood from battles to romance, to creepy, lonely, peaceful, majestic, etc etc.

The thing about Final Fantasy is there are two different series with two fairly different appeals.

Group A: FF1-3, MQ, 5, and 9 have flawless “Mary Sue” type characters. Group B began with FF4, exploring more rounded characters and more intricate storytelling—FF6-8 and Tactics expanded on that. FFX and onward followed the trends of group B, but because of the voice acting have a different sort of feeling to the previous games. I also think the “Group C” games (such as FF13) have stifled ambition because of the production costs—but that’s another discussion. While the characters in group A have literary traumas, they never seem to manifest as a character flaw the way they do in the Group B games.

For example, Vivi is a clear version of the replicants from Blade Runner. He had the same wound as the replicants, being manufactured with a limited lifespan. The difference is it didn’t manifest as character flaws as it did with the replicants of Blade Runner. Vivi just kind of carried on, and it was like “that’s unfair” and that was that. In Blade Runner, the replicants suffered existential crises, which led to anguish, misery, desperation, and rage. It led to the rebellion against the creators in the Tyrrell corporation.

The audiences are different too; although there’s probably a bit of a spectrum. Some audiences expect flawless characters and prefer clear-cut "good guys vs. bad guys" narratives—black and white. They don’t enjoy well-rounded characters unless other elements outshine the character flaws. Others prefer more complex characters who have flaws and strengths which drive story and conflict. Outside of Final Fantasy, I’d say a rough example of this would be the two versions of The Office. Mary Sue/Group A fans will like Jim Halpert, but at the other end there are those who will be more interested in Tim Canterbury’s story. I’d guess people are probably somewhere in the middle.

To clarify, I’m not saying that ensembles of Mary Sue characters (like in the group A FF games) are bad—just a different way of creating characters for a game. One of my favourite games, Skies of Arcadia, has a cast of Mary Sue characters. They fit the game because the focus of the game isn’t the character stories, but the exploration of the world. It’s a joy seeing their reactions and amazement to discovering it. 

Just an observation: the people who “hate” FF8 by far the most are also the most negative people in these threads. Same behaviour as in other threads where they’ll bring up something they claim to hate, yet can’t stop discussing. A bit of a rot on these threads dating back to at least 1991. They seem to struggle with seeing things beyond black and white and also express their opinions as though they’re objective facts. Maybe they’re emotionally stunted? Maybe they’re just angry, negative people? But they also happen to all be gushing fans of FF9.

Interesting points! Specially the one about Vivi, I've never thought about it that way. I've only played and finished a few FF games (1,7,8) but I've always considered myself a fan of the aesthetics, the music and the worlds Squaresoft/Square-Enix creates.

Since you've played most FF games, can you recommend any specific games in the FF canon? For someone who adores FF8 like me.

bartkuz said:

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis

Solid choice! I go back and forth in my ranking of the original RE trilogy on the PS1 but RE3 feels distinctive and awesome enough to be as respected as the other two. It's too bad people didn't give it as much love back in the day.

Have you played the remake? I've heard some really mixed reactions from fans of the original game so I don't know if I should buy it.

Around the Network

Sonic Adventure

Bofferbrauer2 said:
antigin said:

1. Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
2. Heroes of Might and Magic III
3. Rage of Mages II: Necromancer
Pokemon Gold
Unreal Tournament
Worms Armageddon

Let me guess: For 2000 it will be Day of the Destroyer

I do love Might & Magic, but there were too many other great games to get them on my list (though Might & Magic VIII may get on my list next year).

Oh, of course MM8 is among my favorite games of 2000, but I think I will pick Diablo II as a nr 1.

For me MM7 and MM6 are the best games of all time. It's hard to compare games with different genres, from different systems and decades, but when I think about my favorite game, the first game that comes to my mind is Might and Magic VII.

Gotta go with Gran Turismo 2 it's the one I played the most from 1999 and its one of the best sequels of all time.

Ok, there is going to be a runoff vote.  There are 3 games that have at least 10% of the vote, and the people who voted "Other" nominated a lot more than 7 different games, so I'm only going to add the ones that got more than one "Other" vote.  Please give me a little while to reset the vote.

antigin said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Let me guess: For 2000 it will be Day of the Destroyer

I do love Might & Magic, but there were too many other great games to get them on my list (though Might & Magic VIII may get on my list next year).

Oh, of course MM8 is among my favorite games of 2000, but I think I will pick Diablo II as a nr 1.

For me MM7 and MM6 are the best games of all time. It's hard to compare games with different genres, from different systems and decades, but when I think about my favorite game, the first game that comes to my mind is Might and Magic VII.

Might and Magic VI and VII are one of my favourite games, but I think it was all down the hill after VII - they wanted them on a yearly basis, and, as it's always the case with publishers pushing for yearly releases, quality suffered. Pity Ubisoft got a hold of the IP, and it's s(h)itting on it, doing nothing.