By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts September 2023 Discussion Thread

Well, it was a long chase, with Switch 7 million behind at one point, but as mighty as the Wii was, the Switch is mightier.
Next up, Xbox 360 in the US, which won't be long now.

Regarding future comparisons, Xbox Series vs Xbone in the US and Europe both seem like good ones to run.

Another one we could do is Switch vs Xbox 360 + Xbox One. 

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 October 2023

Around the Network

id like to see a chart comparing switch to ps1+ps2+ps3+ps4+ps5, that is going to be one hell of a race.

XtremeBG said:

Maybe Switch vs DS+Wii in japan ?

P.S. What happened to Switch vs PS4 in Europe ?

The Switch is ~12.5M behind the PS4 in Europe, so there is no way the Switch is going to outsell it.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

That is another sales comparison complete! Switch vs Xbox 360 in the US and Switch vs DS in Japan are likely the next two to finish in the coming months. With specific countries/regions comparisons finishing up I would like to add new ones in countries/regions rather than worldwide for now. 

Some possible ideas:

• Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One in the US
  • Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One in Europe
  • Switch vs DS in the US

We have PS5 vs PS4 in the US and Europe already going, so doing the same for Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One makes sense to me. And Switch vs DS in the US is really the last possible Switch comparison I could add as we don't have monthly estimates for the PS2. 

Here's one that could be good I think: Xbox Series vs PS3 in the US.

Xbox One only slightly outsold PS3 in NA, and Series is tracking a little below Xbone, so it should be a close race and interesting to watch.

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Wii Sales Comparison - September 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Wii.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Wii launched in November 2006. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. Wii Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 706,608 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 614,194 - Wii

Total Lead: 9,115,740 - Wii

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 43,869,431

Wii Total Sales: 52,985,171

September 2023 is the 35th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Nintendo Wii by 0.71 million units.

In the last 12 months, the Nintendo Wii has outsold the PlayStation 5 by 0.61 million units. The Nintendo Wii is ahead of the PlayStation 5 by 9.12 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 43.87 million units in 35 months, while the Nintendo Wii sold 52.99 million units. Month 35 for the PlayStation 5 is September 2023 and for the Nintendo Wii it is September 2009.

The Nintendo Wii crossed 60 million in month 38, 70 million in month 43, 80 million in month 50, and 90 million in month 61. The Nintendo Wii sold 101.63 million units lifetime. The PS5 is 57.76 million units behind lifetime Wii sales.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison - September 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 415,368 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 204,138 - DS

Total Lead: 14,231,168 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 130,419,670

DS Total Sales: 144,650,838

September 2023 is the 79th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 0.42 million units when compared to the DS during the same timeframe.

In the last 12 months, the DS has outsold the Switch by 0.20 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 14.23 million units.

The 79th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is September 2023, while for the DS it is May 2011. The Switch has sold 130.42 million units, while the DS sold 144.65 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 23.60 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

PS5 vs Switch Sales Comparison - September 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Switch.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 95,029 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 260,771 - Switch

Total Lead: 6,501,165 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 50,370,596

September 2023 is the 35th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Nintendo Switch by 95,029 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PS5 by 0.26 million units. The PS5 is behind the Switch by 6.50 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 43.87 million units in 35 months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 50.37 million units. Month 35 for the PlayStation 5 is September 2023 and for the Nintendo Switch it is January 2020.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 60 million in month 41, 70 million in month 45, and 80 million in month 48. The Nintendo Switch has sold 130.42 million units through September 2023. The PS5 is 86.55 million units behind lifetime Switch sales.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison – September 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 190,050 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,284,091 - PS5

Total Lead: 323,487 - PS4

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 44,192,918

September 2023 is the 35th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 by 0.19 million units.

In the last 12 months, the PS5 has outsold the PS4 by 2.28 million units. The PS4 is currently ahead of the PS5 by 0.32 million units.

The PS5 has sold 43.87 million units in 35 months, while the PS4 sold 44.19 million units. Month 35 for the PS5 is September 2023 and for the PS4 is September 2016.

The PS4 crossed 50 million in month 38, 60 million in month 44, and 70 million in month 50. The PS4 has sold 117.13 million units to date. The PS5 is 73.26 million units behind lifetime PS4 sales.

As a Ps5 owner I just want to say that I wish I hadn't bought this thing. I originally bought it because I'm a dumb and thought that Elden ring was a ps5/Xbox series exclusive, only to find out it was a ps4 game. I was pulled in by the idea/promise of VR exclusives, but nothing I've played has been worth it to me. I think I'm at that age where I'm more interested in spending my time playing games that invoke nostalgia (for me super Mario rpg remake is my most anticipated game) than playing all new releases.

Or maybe I'm just a fool for trying to go outside of Nintendo for my gaming experiences. I tried playing the new Spiderman game and was just so bored. It felt like everything was scripted, idk how to explain it.

Normally I wouldn't share all this but my dog died earlier today and I've been drinking and feeling weird all day.

I love everyone out there reading this, but believe that nothing (except trying to make your corner of the world better/happier) matters even on the best days.

I'm guessing this is off topic, since I can't even remember where this started. Sorry. Hope everyone's doing alright that's reading this.

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison - September 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. XOne Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 59,982 - XOne

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,284,884 - XOne

Total Lead: 200,015 - XOne

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 23,902,979

Xbox One Total Sales: 24,102,994

September 2023 is the 35th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox One when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 59,982 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox One has outsold the Xbox Series X|S by 2.28 million units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently behind by 200,015 units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 23.90 million units in 35 months, while the Xbox One sold 24.10 million units. Month 35 for the Xbox Series X|S is September 2023 and for the Xbox One is September 2016.

The Xbox One crossed 30 million in month 46, 40 million in month 61, and 50 million in month 81. The Xbox One has sold 57.96 million units lifetime. The Xbox Series X|S is 34.06 million units behind lifetime Xbox One sales.