By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: "Nintendo future exists off their own hardware"

PotentHerbs said:
Qwark said:

Their own graphs they are investing less in traditional content in 2023 than they did in 2019. The traditional being the 200 million+ single player games. They also want to release a lot Live Service games the next few years. So that they have 12 up and running in 2025. In 2025 and onward their investments in Live service games will be bigger than in Live Service games.

Considering they have only so many studios it's fairly safe to assume that some (not recently acquired studios) are working on a Life Service game, instead or an AAA SP game. We only know of 3 Live games in development so far and PlayStation sees MLB already as a Live Service game. So that's 8 more Live Service games to announce and release, the next three years.

You may want to look at those graphs again. Sony significantly increasing their funding for multiplayer games, doesn't mean less investment in single player games, and surely doesn't mean they are abandoning single player games. It means the majority of their M&A budget will be going towards live service/GaaS titles. 

Sony has stated they have over 25+ games in development at their first party studios back in 2021. If they achieve their goal of 10 - 12 live service games releasing by 2026, that would mean the majority of games in development would still be single player titles. 

Its safe to assume that some of Sony's legacy studios will be working on live service games, but its ridiculous to claim they're abandoning AAA gaming, especially with journalists like Jason Schreier writing articles about how Sony is shifting towards AAA development, and forums like this criticizing Sony for going all in for AAA development. 

From what I can gather from this graph the investment in Traditional software is lower than in 2019 and will be slightly higher in 2025. In which PlayStation will invest more in Live service than Traditional.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Some nintendo fans defended bethesda and activblizzard buyout , look at them now when phill delusional spencer wants to do the same with nintendo and wants tthem to fail to buy them cheap.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Some nintendo fans defended bethesda and activblizzard buyout , look at them now when phill delusional spencer wants to do the same with nintendo and wants tthem to fail to buy them cheap.

I dont think many of us defended that. We are still hurting from the Rare buyout...

KLXVER said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

I dont think many of us defended that. We are still hurting from the Rare buyout...

Still hurting from SEGA dropping out lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Shatts said:

Btw this leak isn't a surprise, but it essentially broke all the narratives people were pushing. How Microsoft isn't looking to be a monopoly or how Phil Spencer is a good guy that cares for the industry and competition! Yeah right lol.

Well, the FTC had all those documents to make its case and it still did not raise to anything other than a wet firecracker so I don't know why now I should view any of this as anything else than business as usual. 

The monopoly claim is still ridiculous and clearly have been judged so by a Judge using those very same document we see today.

As for Phil being the good guy, as always this is more used by Xbox detractors than Xbox fans, Xbox fans view Phil as good for Xbox, and Xbox detractors say Xbox fans view him as a good guy for every gamer and then shit on them the moment is shown to be not so good for the non-Xbox owner. A convenient self-fulfilling prophecy to entertain a narrative.

Around the Network
EpicRandy said:
Shatts said:

Btw this leak isn't a surprise, but it essentially broke all the narratives people were pushing. How Microsoft isn't looking to be a monopoly or how Phil Spencer is a good guy that cares for the industry and competition! Yeah right lol.

Well, the FTC had all those documents to make its case and it still did not raise to anything other than a wet firecracker so I don't know why now I should view any of this as anything else than business as usual. 

The monopoly claim is still ridiculous and clearly have been judged so by a Judge using those very same document we see today.

As for Phil being the good guy, as always this is more used by Xbox detractors than Xbox fans, Xbox fans view Phil as good for Xbox, and Xbox detractors say Xbox fans view him as a good guy for every gamer and then shit on them the moment is shown to be not so good for the non-Xbox owner. A convenient self-fulfilling prophecy to entertain a narrative.

That's why I was baffled during that case if you want to scroll all the way back to those threads. Even without these documents there was so many things that could be said, but man FTC was so clueless. So many people disagreed with me and downvoted, I'm just doubling down on what I said then. 

Microsoft openly admits their mediocrity. They can’t innovate, and they suck the innovative spirit out of every company they buy.

Microsoft has replaced EA as the worst cancer afflicting the videogaming industry today.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Many gamers were duped my Microsoft’s PR. Being a Nintendo fan doesn’t rescue a person from credulity. I’d say most gamers are more intelligent on the matter and saw through the dog shit spewed from this Spencer guy’s mouth.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Shatts said:
EpicRandy said:

That's why I was baffled during that case if you want to scroll all the way back to those threads. Even without these documents there was so many things that could be said, but man FTC was so clueless. So many people disagreed with me and downvoted, I'm just doubling down on what I said then. 

I had time to search the past reactions 

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/457645/playstation-ceo-jim-ryan-starfield-xbox-exclusivity-is-not-anti-competitive/

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/457790/microsoft-wins-ftc-fight-in-the-us-to-acquire-activision-blizzard/

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/247508/why-do-people-view-the-ms-acquisition-of-abk-as-a-good-thing/1/

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Do you have quotes about them doing such ?

Imo, I am and was 100% against the consolidation deals from the start and appart from people actively in the Xbox community, I haven't seen many in support of these deals 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909