By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: "Nintendo future exists off their own hardware"

aTokenYeti said:

Microsoft gaming makes more money year over year than the entire Nintendo corporation combined, and that’s before the ABK merger.

I don’t think Phil Spencer is taking crazy pills suggesting Nintendo is leaving money on the table. Basically every Nintendo first party can run on mobile phones, and the addressable market for iOS and android is billions of people.

Yeah, in the short term. I mean why doesnt Netflix put their movies on all streaming services...?

Around the Network

Nintendo and Sony merging would be much better for the industry TBH.

PotentHerbs said:

Nintendo and Sony merging would be much better for the industry TBH.

You know that wouldnt make the best of Sony and the best of Nintendo come together, right? Most likely you would never see AAA games like God Of War and The Last Of Us again.

The hardware kicking their ass? 130 million sold and counting? Gee, call the doomed police.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Nah. Screw that. There's been far too much corporate consolidation across all industries, video games included.

I'm glad Nintendo does their own thing. They make great hardware and great games. I'd rather not see them under the umbrella of an entirely different corporate entity. Who knows what that would do. Would they still retain creative autonomy? Would they still make handheld systems? Would Japanese gamers actually start to pay attention to Xbox if it was the only way to play Nintendo IPs? I have my doubts. Best to maintain the status quo.

And I say all of this as someone who spends most of their time gaming on the Series X.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 19 September 2023

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network

Yeah - this is the usual Microsoft playbook. Buy them out and shut them down.

The trouble with games though is: the back catalogue isn't worth much. Microsoft can by Blizzard/Activision/etc..etc... but they will only make their money back if *future* games are popular.

So... who benefits the most? Microsoft or all those indie companies who are going to take the place of the old third-party game developers?

Also - the usual arrogant lack of understanding about how Japanese companies work.  They never sell out.

This is quite possibly the worst thing I have ever read. I would more than likely quit gaming if that ever happened, maybe I can pick up another hobby.

KLXVER said:

You know that wouldnt make the best of Sony and the best of Nintendo come together, right? Most likely you would never see AAA games like God Of War and The Last Of Us again.

In this hypothetical scenario, a company the size of Nintendo would be an entirely new division under Sony Corp, something along the lines of Sony Mobile Entertainment, rather than a subsidiary of Sony Interactive like Bungie currently is. 

I could see Nintendo doing their own thing under Sony Corp without having to collaborate with PlayStation, since Nintendo hardware would be another high end electronic product that Sony manufactures, and they instantly bolster their mobile division without adding significant overhead to SIE. The only thing that Sony would want Nintendo to collaborate on would be with Sony Pictures/Aniplex for transmedia content. 

Of course, this is a fever filled pipe dream from Phil Spencer, and is prior to the Activision Blizzard acquisition anyways. 

Nintendo under any umbrella is when new ideas and things like Astral Chain or Splatoon (initially) never happen. Just the low-risk high-reward IPs get made. Then you have the old forum fallacy come true of Nintendo only made Mario and Zelda and no new IPs. Innovation and creation die.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

His deluded take is Microsoft buying Nintendo. Xbox will leave hardware before Nintendo does.
But Nintendo's future without hardware? That's inevitable. It's just a while off. Eventually, Nintendo will realize they no longer need hardware to sell their software.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima