By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart Wii commercials - What was Nintendo thinking?

Shucks Howdy!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

If we buy the game, will this guy talk English?

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

"This is geat, Deddy!"

"Look at that boy!"

LMFAO! That was great!

Hey at least these ads show you know uhmm err gameplay, mention features that are in the game, show footage of the game and describe the add on wheel for the game. It mentions tricks and vehicles like bikes and mentions online. It is all mentioned obviously but it isn't like medicine commercial with a guy speaking in a monotone voice and anyone watching it will know you can play any one anywhere without having to use big or geeky words like online gaming.

The ad is a parody of the old 70/80s car commercials with a 00 flair. It isn't brain candy nor is it meant to be but it sure as hell gives you more info about the game then any other commercial I have seen in a while including the Wii would like to play ads (which are for the system itself. Why would Ninty do ads for a system with full sell outs instead they do ads for the games now and bring people out. Casuals will look at this and say this game looks fun and are more likely to buy it.

Dodece lighten up man besides your favorite system is the 360 unless things have changed recently.

I think I hear a doll crying somewhere.

It is definitely not a "cool" commercial, like the PS3 octupus for example; but it does the job, I believe it would be effective (except to the 16-19 y/o wanna be gangsta' group, but they aren't gonna buy MK anyways, regardless of how "cool " the commercial is).

In my opinion the PS3 commercials, for example, appeal to the gamer crowd and are very cool but the thing is that such crowd probably does not need any convincing on whether to buy a PS3 or not, such crowd does not rely on cool commercials to buy a product or a game, most gamers outthere rely on reviews, gaming sites, and word of mouth. The commercials are mainly for the "casuals", the kids and parents.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

Around the Network

QFT redspear. People who are saying these ads are terrible should look at ads which don't even give you a taste of the product they're advertising.

The worst gaming ad I know is still the PS3 one with the nightmarish baby.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It's good with something different than the Wii would like to play ads. But here in Sweden we only have them, I've actually only seen commercials for Galaxy and now Mario Kart on TV well at least it's something.

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

It cracked me up....definitely like a N64 commercial. I remember the commercial with that scientist with Star Fox 64...

Brawl FC: 2106-1814-5245

venepe said:
It is definitely not a "cool" commercial, like the PS3 octupus for example; but it does the job, I believe it would be effective (except to the 16-19 y/o wanna be gangsta' group, but they aren't gonna buy MK anyways, regardless of how "cool " the commercial is).

In my opinion the PS3 commercials, for example, appeal to the gamer crowd and are very cool but the thing is that such crowd probably does not need any convincing on whether to buy a PS3 or not, such crowd does not rely on cool commercials to buy a product or a game, most gamers outthere rely on reviews, gaming sites, and word of mouth. The commercials are mainly for the "casuals", the kids and parents.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

QFT

Really most of you complaining about this commercial correct me if I'm wrong aren't most you "Hard-Core" gamers? Have not most of you known of the existance of this game for months? Have you not looked at reviews/visted gaming sites to gather info on this game long before this commercial aired? Heck some of you probably knew you're going to buy it the moment it was announced. As such this commercial isn't for you. It's for the people who didn't know it existed. You know the casual-newbie gamers and the reality is this ad does a good job informing the targeted audiuence. Casual-newbie gamers.

Wii Code: 7588-3685-3257-4150

Brawl Code: 0301-9768-7224

You know the drill if you add me pm your codes.

Haha, awesome.

And thank god "Wii would like to play" is gone. It was neat the first few ads, but it lost its novelty awfully fast.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks