By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz taught me how to think

the-pi-guy said:
firebush03 said:

(Just to add, and not to stir problems, but "It's cool [to] read what's under the surface...and I don't have time for that" is a very self-contradictory claim. If you believe that you have actually "figured the plot out" without much research -- i.e. by taking what you hear from somebody (a very surface-level approach to geopolitical affairs) --- then you haven't fully figured it out. And Ryuu96 is infamous in these forums for dropping massive walls of text filled with fallacious narratives that can easily lead anybody deceived if not careful nor equipped properly to combat his remarks.)

I thought you were too busy with your math PhD, to look into the claims that were being made. 

I'm impressed you have time to look into a deep reading of geopolitical affairs, but struggle to make time to read and respond to Ryuu's posts.  

I appreciate that you remembered my math status. :) (actually just had my topology exam today. Felt like it went pretty well. Wahoo!)

also, i don’t have time to do a deep reading into geopolitical affairs. Never said I had figured out the plot, nor should anybody feel they have. These are complicated matters, and at the end of the day all our opinions boil down to theories (or if you don’t like that word, the pretentious term would be “hypotheses”). As such, you should never go about looking to force your beliefs down others throats when chatting: It is incredibly condescending and demonstrates a willingness to not want to listen to others when you feel your thoughts are so superior that people should read an entire essay filled with your thoughts. Staying quiet and listening to others is how you learn. Believing everything they say is not wise. You listen, you challenge all that they have to say, and see what they can deliver. I would love to have this sort of conversation with y’all, I just need to wait until my semesters done. I can give you a date and time, and I’ll be there ready to debate-it-out.

….speaking of which, Could I interested either of you two into an in-depth debate Friday 5-10? I’ll be available then. You two come up with a time for that day, I’ll be there.

EDIT: pls message me with your response. I don’t wanna overrun this thread with irrelevant discussion.

Around the Network

It's not pleasant to chat with somebody, just to be talked down to with a small bit of text, which ignores everything you say, as well as resorts to fallacy either.

I have a lot more respect for someone who puts in effort. It shouldn't be insulting to write multiple paragraphs. Far more insulting when someone isn't putting in the same amount of effort, who thinks they are obviously more correct.

Ryuu has put in plenty of research. Just because you disagree with it, doesn't make it fallacy.

And if the things he's saying is so obviously fallacy, then you should be able to explain why. (That doesn't necessarily mean responding to every bit of it. You can point out certain aspects that you took issue with). And yet you didn't.

the-pi-guy said:

It's not pleasant to chat with somebody, just to be talked down to with a small bit of text, which ignores everything you say, as well as resorts to fallacy either.

I have a lot more respect for someone who puts in effort. It shouldn't be insulting to write multiple paragraphs. Far more insulting when someone isn't putting in the same amount of effort, who thinks they are obviously more correct.

Ryuu has put in plenty of research. Just because you disagree with it, doesn't make it fallacy.

And if the things he's saying is so obviously fallacy, then you should be able to explain why. (That doesn't necessarily mean responding to every bit of it. You can point out certain aspects that you took issue with). And yet you didn't.

(see PM. :) )

Firebush has to be the most contradicting user on this site, complains about other being condescending and talking down when they have given out direct insults on multiple occasions.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

message written by mistake, sorry

Last edited by Tico - on 16 May 2024