By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz taught me how to think

BraLoD said:

Just to check, how does "Globally in the US" sounds to you?

I totally remember people saying that! I'm still not sure what they meant

Playing Xenoblade 2 before I buy Xenoblade 3 (otherwise I couldn't wait to play 3).

Can they announce a new Fire Emblem? A remake of Genealogy or Tellius would suffice !

Around the Network
Olivernintentoal said:
BraLoD said:

Just to check, how does "Globally in the US" sounds to you?

There was a time when not just people on the forum but many in mainstream reporting of video game sales often referenced US or NA sales data in a manner that saw it being used as a substitute for worldwide figures, now some of that was down to media not being informed on the subject or having a US centric mindset, but it was also being used by some people in a deliberate and misleading manner to further certain agendas, this lead to pushback that then saw the term gain  popularity. 

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I really appreciate the different gifts that people have, which they bring to this forum. I'm just going to name random people if that is alright. But i do like how we have a lot of tech people that can break down things like computer graphics and sales data, even though i'm not in those fields it is quite nice to see how they think. I also like the eloquence that you see from a select few here, such as Radek. And we have Ryuu96 who knows a lot about war and politics. It's cool that he can read what's under the surface, because you don't get that unless you dig for a bunch of articles, and i don't have time for that.

mjk45 said:
Olivernintentoal said:

There was a time when not just people on the forum but many in mainstream reporting of video game sales often referenced US or NA sales data in a manner that saw it being used as a substitute for worldwide figures, now some of that was down to media not being informed on the subject or having a US centric mindset, but it was also being used by some people in a deliberate and misleading manner to further certain agendas, this lead to pushback that then saw the term gain  popularity. 

Thanks for the history lesson LOL! I think by the time I was on here people were using it more as a joke. It seems so funny that people would think US represented the world figures. Makes sense that people would deliberately mislead though - seems to be a common trend in not just video games!

Playing Xenoblade 2 before I buy Xenoblade 3 (otherwise I couldn't wait to play 3).

Can they announce a new Fire Emblem? A remake of Genealogy or Tellius would suffice !

Olivernintentoal said:
mjk45 said:

Thanks for the history lesson LOL! I think by the time I was on here people were using it more as a joke. It seems so funny that people would think US represented the world figures. Makes sense that people would deliberately mislead though - seems to be a common trend in not just video games!

There was a guy here once talking about US sales as if they were Worldwide sales.

When asked about it, he explained that he was using the term "globally" as in "globally in the US".

It became an internal joke.

Still remember someone made an edited world map with the USA flag all over it with Globally in the US written on it, lol.

Around the Network
shavenferret said:

I really appreciate the different gifts that people have, which they bring to this forum. I'm just going to name random people if that is alright. But i do like how we have a lot of tech people that can break down things like computer graphics and sales data, even though i'm not in those fields it is quite nice to see how they think. I also like the eloquence that you see from a select few here, such as Radek. And we have Ryuu96 who knows a lot about war and politics. It's cool that he can read what's under the surface, because you don't get that unless you dig for a bunch of articles, and i don't have time for that.

(Just to add, and not to stir problems, but "It's cool [to] read what's under the surface...and I don't have time for that" is a very self-contradictory claim. If you believe that you have actually "figured the plot out" without much research -- i.e. by taking what you hear from somebody (a very surface-level approach to geopolitical affairs) --- then you haven't fully figured it out. And Ryuu96 is infamous in these forums for dropping massive walls of text filled with fallacious narratives that can easily lead anybody deceived if not careful nor equipped properly to combat his remarks.)

firebush03 said:
shavenferret said:

(Just to add, and not to stir problems, but "It's cool [to] read what's under the surface...and I don't have time for that" is a very self-contradictory claim. If you believe that you have actually "figured the plot out" without much research -- i.e. by taking what you hear from somebody (a very surface-level approach to geopolitical affairs) --- then you haven't fully figured it out. And Ryuu96 is infamous in these forums for dropping massive walls of text filled with fallacious narratives that can easily lead anybody deceived if not careful nor equipped properly to combat his remarks.)

I really struck a nerve with you, huh?

firebush03 said:

I thought you were too busy with your math PhD, to look into the claims that were being made. 

I'm impressed you have time to look into a deep reading of geopolitical affairs, but struggle to make time to read and respond to Ryuu's posts.  

the-pi-guy said:
firebush03 said:

I thought you were too busy with your math PhD, to look into the claims that were being made. 

I'm impressed you have time to look into a deep reading of geopolitical affairs, but struggle to make time to read and respond to Ryuu's posts.  

Funny because it wasn't only my posts he basically ignored, some made much shorter posts than me, one user he straight up insulted at the very start of his post for lacking "critical thinking" skills but I'm a bad guy because I make long posts Lmao, I'll try to not derail this thread anymore, I apologise to everyone else but I won't just sit back while someone talks shit about me.

I'm out of this thread now.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 02 May 2024

Ryuu96 said:
firebush03 said:

I really struck a nerve with you, huh?

yep. it’s not pleasant to chat with somebody, just to be talked down to with a massive wall of text which ignores everything you say, as well resorts to fallacy.