By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - F-Freaking Zero is BACK!

Will you play F-Zero 99?

Fuck yeah!!!! 21 46.67%

Nah, looks fugly 10 22.22%

Maybe I'll give it a try 14 31.11%

Total:45

The game is quite addicting. I won 4 races and 1 GP so far! But people are getting better at the game, so my experience from the SNES original isn't going to cut it from here on out. Well, I at least get into the Top 10 quite comfortably, so that's ok. =D

Looking forward to a survival mode. I heard somewhere that's a thing that is coming.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

That's not F-Zero. It's a cheap trick and not the good kind like the song.

That's right! 

F-Zero is all about speed, reflexes, ship control, driving ability and smart thinking about boost management. It's not about that chaotic mess, that super road and futile tricks. It's not Mario Kart.

Yeah, it's a nice and fun game afterall, and it is still the only "new" F-Zero we have right now, but I think any true F-Zero fan out there wouldn't want Nintendo to borrows that gameplay elements to a future game in the series.

F-Zero on SNES was the only game in the series that I didn't like.
So I kinda wish this was for F-Zero 64 or something.

JimmyFantasy said:
Leynos said:

That's right! 

F-Zero is all about speed, reflexes, ship control, driving ability and smart thinking about boost management. It's not about that chaotic mess, that super road and futile tricks. It's not Mario Kart.

I know that's your opinion and I respect it, but I think there is some irony to the fact that, in 99, your target IS to overcome the chaotic mess, among other things, exactly through speed, reflexes, ship control, driving ability, smart thinking about boost management and energy management. I got 6 wins already and tons of other top 5 and 10 placements and that's exactly what got me there. It is only a mess if you are stuck in the middle of the herd for most of the race, and even that can be a proper strategy if you use the skyway well.

farlaff said:
JimmyFantasy said:

That's right! 

I know that's your opinion and I respect it, but I think there is some irony to the fact that, in 99, your target IS to overcome the chaotic mess, among other things, exactly through speed, reflexes, ship control, driving ability, smart thinking about boost management and energy management. I got 6 wins already and tons of other top 5 and 10 placements and that's exactly what got me there. It is only a mess if you are stuck in the middle of the herd for most of the race, and even that can be a proper strategy if you use the skyway well.

F-Zero is pretty chaotic in-universe anyway, so the 99 gameplay fits.

Around the Network
JimmyFantasy said:
Leynos said:

That's right! 

Yeah, it's a nice and fun game afterall, and it is still the only "new" F-Zero we have right now, but I think any true F-Zero fan out there wouldn't want Nintendo to borrows that gameplay elements to a future game in the series.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Because Fzero is also about chaotic high speed racing. Fzero99 is all about speed, reflexes, ship control, driving ability, smart thinking about boost management, and chaotic high speed racing. Fzero99 is everything Fzero is, but with the feeling of high speed chaos multiplied with great online racing fun. And Fzero99 is nothing like Mario Kart. So either you're being sarcastic or just hating on Fzero99 for no reason. I think any Fzero fan would LOVE for Nintendo to borrow Fzero99's main gameplay element to any future games in the series, the main gameplay element of course being racing against a ton of people online in a single race for chaotic high speed amazing Fzero fun!

Slownenberg said:
JimmyFantasy said:

That's right! 

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Because Fzero is also about chaotic high speed racing. Fzero99 is all about speed, reflexes, ship control, driving ability, smart thinking about boost management, and chaotic high speed racing. Fzero99 is everything Fzero is, but with the feeling of high speed chaos multiplied with great online racing fun. And Fzero99 is nothing like Mario Kart. So either you're being sarcastic or just hating on Fzero99 for no reason. I think any Fzero fan would LOVE for Nintendo to borrow Fzero99's main gameplay element to any future games in the series, the main gameplay element of course being racing against a ton of people online in a single race for chaotic high speed amazing Fzero fun!

Slownenberg said:
JimmyFantasy said:

That's right! 

“True F-Zero fan” - the dude’s a gatekeeper committing an argument from authority fallacy.

And like so many gatekeepers, somehow manages to get it completely wrong.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Thought this was funny.

-- “True F-Zero fan” - the dude’s a gatekeeper committing an argument from authority fallacy.

And like so many gatekeepers, somehow manages to get it completely wrong.--

oh no no, I don't have any authority at all, it was just my personal opinion as usual! 

As a long time fan of the series, I was waiting for a "proper" full F-Zero experience, more traditional but with online multiplayer. 

Maybe I was expecting too much from this game, probably I'm wrong, but all in all I'm glad at least there is a new F-Zero out there that many people can enjoy. Also I hope many new players can discover this fantastic series, and if, thanks to its success and a new fanbase, we can get one day a new proper game in the series I will be excited as you ;)

In the meanwhile I will try to get back to F-Zero99, at least from time to time, to see if it will give me that "old vibes" :)